Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm getting really sick of all this weather warnings by Met Eireann. It's lashing rain here in Dublin this morning + they had it's part of weather warnings. It's a joke. I do understand that some parts have snow but Dublin accounts for about 1/3 of population so please get our forecast right. It's like the boy who cried wolf. One day it might be bad but I won't believe them.

So what exactly did you do on the basis of the weather warning that has you put out?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

I have to admit that people moaning about weather warnings really annoys me. Regarding the Hurricane, some of you may have been lucky not to have been affected but plenty of us were, I'm in North County Wicklow and we had trees down everywhere and were without power for over 16hrs. The fact that it didn't hit parts of Dublin too badly was more luck than anything, I'm sure that the families of the people who died don't think it was exaggerated.
    Regarding the snow, there are plenty of areas that have been affected and the day is still young. If you are fortunate enough not to be affected you should count yourself lucky, the same people would be moaning if Met Eireann didn't give us any warning and then they trapped in the snow somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There'snow snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm getting really sick of all this weather warnings by Met Eireann. It's lashing rain here in Dublin this morning + they had it's part of weather warnings. It's a joke. I do understand that some parts have snow but Dublin accounts for about 1/3 of population so please get our forecast right. It's like the boy who cried wolf. One day it might be bad but I won't believe them.

It was removed from the snow warning yesterday morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No snow where I am in Dublin, just pissy rain. Thankfully.

Snow is great when you're a kid or have kids or are young, mobile and urban. Hell, I like seeing it myself. It can be a right pain in the arse for people in isolated areas, the elderly, those who have need of medical attention and folks who can't take a couple of snow days off and have to go out in it. Even light dustings can turn out deadly for such people and will usually go unreported(in 2010, I personally know of two people who died because emergency services couldn't get to them in time).

Worse when Ireland and the Irish are woefully unprepared for any what we see as extreme weather as we're so (again thankfully) used to our wonderfully mild climate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

lawred2 wrote: »
    It was removed from the snow warning yesterday morning

No it wasn't still status yellow for Dublin yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Personally, I'm glad for the weather warnings. Was down visiting my family in Roscommon and came back yesterday evening instead of staying over. Glad I did because they got loads of snow last night and travel from there today would be a nightmare. Pity we got no snow in Maynooth though.

And how did it negatively affect you exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

People weekends are important to them. Thankfully we had a great day wrapped up in park yesterday with my little boy. If we had left it to today to have fun in 'snow' would be going nowwhere in miserable dark rainy day.

• Advertisement

People weekends are important to them. Thankfully we had a great day wrapped up in park yesterday with my little boy. If we had left it to today to have fun in 'snow' would be going nowwhere in miserable dark rainy day.

So it didn't.

You do realise weather forecasting isn't an exact science and that they have a responsibility to make sure people in certain counties are prepared for what the models predict may happen?

"I might not have got to the park" vs potentially saving someone's life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The yellow warning wasn't for snow..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"I might not have got to the park" vs potentially saving someone's life?
    Aye. Bloody hell but the level of unaware self involvement in that is something to behold. We saw similar with the storm warning a while back. Oh I'm inconvenienced slightly so it's a disaster.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What a pathetic reason to moan, "I may have gone to the park" in a yellow/orange weather warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Raining in Cork city. Never seen snow here before!

It hardly ever snows in Cork :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It hardly ever snows in Cork :(

Thankfully! Had to travel today and snow and ice ain't fun. Some of the lads on the weather forum are gutted we didn't get blizzards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Yes but the forecast was for no snow in Dublin.

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

snowing heavy enough in Waterford City now

city and county meltdown in 3,2,1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Water John wrote: »
    But Srameen above, tells us there'll be no snow.

And despite Met Eireann saying, this time yesterday, that this area would have a minimum of 8cm there's not even a hint of snow about this morning. Thank goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yup

GQPXIaeh.jpg

Nice windows!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Snowing all morning here in Laois and no sign of stopping yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

anna080 wrote: »
    On the other hand, doggy paw prints in the snow are the cutest.

The main reason I wanted to wake up to a load of snow was to take the dog out in it. She has only seen it once before and had great craic bouncing around, chasing snowballs and getting a shock when she had them in her mouth...and melting the snow with her wee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Been snowing in big flakes for about 2 hours on Waterford coast. Not really settling though.

Meanwhile I want to know why RTE keep showing that pic of two very well dressed, in co-ordinating colours, small children hauling a red suitcase into a frozen winter wasteland. Where are they going, why were they sent? Whats in the suitcase?

Edit: It seems to have gone, evidently they have enough 'real' snow pics at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Settling down in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah Srameen, I didn't realise Met Eireann issue you with a personalised forecast. My mistake. They forecast snow for you and then changed it, on an update.
    The warning across the midlands was correct. Pinpointing where two air masses meet and the interaction, is imprecise at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

All im getting is hailstones in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

All im getting is hailstones in Dublin

Same here, no sign of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

no snow in dublin is an outrage!!!

was in galway for 2010

and now in dublin :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yellow warning, orange warning, red warning, end of the world.

I hate the nonsense around our weather. I bet the Scandinavians don't partake in all this, with weather many times worse than ours.

If this is an orange level warning, then yellow must be about +10c with chance of sunburn.
    True.

Reminds me of when we got the last bit of snow in 2010, the Polish lads next door were laughing at everyone getting all worked up over it when they have a lot more snow every year and just get on with it.

Because Scandinavia gets this weather without fail every year all winter long, they can justify investing in infrastructure to cope. But here, it’s rare so we can’t. Therefore we need warnings for similar weather as more caution is required. The winters they get in Scandinavia aren’t relevant to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Wibbs wrote: »
    No snow where I am in Dublin, just pissy rain. Thankfully.

Snow is great when you're a kid or have kids or are young, mobile and urban. Hell, I like seeing it myself. It can be a right pain in the arse for people in isolated areas, the elderly, those who have need of medical attention and folks who can't take a couple of snow days off and have to go out in it. Even light dustings can turn out deadly for such people and will usually go unreported(in 2010, I personally know of two people who died because emergency services couldn't get to them in time).

Worse when Ireland and the Irish are woefully unprepared for any what we see as extreme weather as we're so (again thankfully) used to our wonderfully mild climate.

Not unprepared really. There are some measures in place. More like cannot justify the huge investment needed for weather we don’t even get every winter and even when we do, it’s a handful of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Because Scandinavia gets this weather without fail every year all winter long, they can justify investing in infrastructure to cope. But here, it’s rare so we can’t. Therefore we need warnings for similar weather as more caution is required. The winters they get in Scandinavia aren’t relevant to us.

Really there should just be a national 'ACTUALLY SLOW THE FK DOWN' warning.

Rain, hail, wind, blinding sunshine everyone is still speeding and tailgating. Black ice: maybe it is time to take the warnings seriously? Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've got 12 inches here.

No snow though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not of much use to you, with the bad back.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Lots of kids building Snowpersons hereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Water John wrote: »
    Not of much use to you, with the bad back.

I beg to differ, using men as human dildos is great craic, just getting them to lie there and then hopping on top for a ride :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In addition to being a great human dildo, I double-up as a handy draught excluder for those cold winter nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Is there a way to vote for the most self entitled post of the year :rolleyes:

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Lots of kids building Snowpersons hereabouts.

Snowcismen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I Hate The Snow:mad:

qu6FtP3.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Travelling on the secondary roads this morning was terrible, no grit on them at all and the snow was frozen solid from the frost.

And nothing done with them today either so the same story tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its back!!!!

Snow everywhere where I am. Looks lovely.

Driving will be awful tomorrow. Will have to be up extra early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

2 inches of snow on the roof of my car, plus very gusty. I might give driving anywhere a skip tomorrow... except maybe to pop down to Aldi and pick up a bottle of their Pinot Noir.. anything else is too risky.

Advertisement