Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby Match Thread. 10/12/17 k/o 16.30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

dfx- wrote: »
    Mourinho is never going to play that game differently. If he played it tomorrow, it'd be the exact same and the same outcome. There's nothing gained from it.

So not really acknowledging anything that I said. Cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ahh. United spend their own money which the club generates for itself.
    LOL... from all their fans in Singapore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

one of the rare times City will play to a full house

Such nonsense. And I'm sure they care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Clear penalty by Jose, poor guy is cracking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lol Mourinho thinks it was a penalty on Herrera. The entertainment continues. :)

I'm also not really having the wankfest over City today. Lots of possession, but didn't create a whole pile. The better team today but not by a whole pile. Had it ended a draw, nobody could have cried about it being a smash and grab.

They are the best team in the league with United a distant second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

fullstop wrote: »
    Such nonsense. And I'm sure they care.

It's not really.

The Etihad is renowned in the football world that it doesn't sell out

You only have to look at a match in the Etihad to notice the empty seats. You're right though, doubt they'll lose much sleep over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mourinho is bitter as a bag of lemons as usual in defeat, gave no credit to the better team city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This is nonsense tbf but carry on

It's not though. De Bruyne & Jesus combined didn't cost a lot more than just Lukaku but I think most will take the former.
    City are the best coached team too. A back 4 with Delph & Mangala looks rough on paper but they controlled the game ib every area of the pitch so it didnt matter.
    People can say checkbook manager or whatever but he's done a good job basically playing all their best players allowing them to steamroll sides when on form but not giving away cheap goals. When they did he got Kompany off the pitch without hesitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

blueser wrote: »
    Would you ever fu go away with that bullsh1t.

Just the truth is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And where do you hail from yourself?

I never get Irish based fans of English teams throwing that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So what? Are they any less entitled to follow United than you are to follow whichever club you follow?

All clubs make money off their fans. United just have more fans.

Unless you are trying to say that's the same thing as a sugar daddy coming in and paying all the bills? If you are then LOL indeed.

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's not though. De Bruyne & Jesus combined didn't cost a lot more than just Lukaku but I think most will take the former.
    City are the best coached team too. A back 4 with Delph & Mangala looks rough on paper but they controlled the game ib every area of the pitch so it didnt matter.
    People can say checkbook manager or whatever but he's done a good job basically playing all their best players allowing them to steamroll sides when on form but not giving away cheap goals. When they did he got Kompany off the pitch without hesitation.

United don't have the same kind of owners as city its pretty blatant and why leave out that he said Zlatan?

Lukaku was bought in the summer in an every inflating market so comparing it to when DeBruyne was bought isn't equal either.

I'm not saying United are paupers either but the comparison made was a load of nonsense imo of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Just the truth is all.
    You seriously think utd were worth anything today? Honestly? We bossed that game. Anything other than a City win would have been a travesty.

You seriously think utd were worth anything today? Honestly? We bossed that game. Anything other than a City win would have been a travesty.

Yeah, I think the truth is somewhere in between yours and his assessment. Had how people can view games differently.

• Advertisement

Must say, Noel Gallagher's cracking me up. "The hypocrisy of that man" comment after Jose' interview......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Yep, draw fair result but we could have won it too. You's didn't great much aside from the two lucky goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Thierry Henry, like many in the workforce, overcomplicating the basics and talking waffle in order to try look good and justify an extortionate salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thought there was a massive gulf in class between the sides but United could've easily gotten a point, it was a weird game. Thats the league over now anyway. Would need 4 City defeats now and that's even if United win every game from here, which they aren't good enough to do.

Yep, draw fair result but we could have won it too. You's didn't great much aside from the two lucky goals.
    Wow. None as blind as those that can't/won't see. As for the goals being "lucky", it's amazing how much more likely such goals will happen if you're prepared to have a go at the opposition. Also, utd's goal was hardly a thing of beauty either; p1ss poor play by Delph and, to a lesser degree, Otamendi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So not really acknowledging anything that I said. Cool.

But there's nothing in what you said in terms of what United learned especially from an attacking threat perspective.

They played the same way as before, mistakes cost them, De Gea wasn't tested much because of the gameplan and City are better than United.

You could say all of those things before the game, because you know how Mourinho approaches these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭mada999

Jammy from City. Two lucky goals, draw or United win would have been right result.

no it wouldn't..city by far the best team today

marvin80 wrote: »
    Mourinho had the same approach at Chelsea - spend loads to win the league.
    Doing the same at United but now other teams can match the spending.

Shockingly Mourinho is finding it a bit tougher than usual!!

Mourinho at man utd is just a rich man's big sam..

he wont win the league at utd until he has spent £750-£1bn imo

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Well done to the lads; a fully deserved win. We were the better team by a mile. Even at the back, where we were without three of our first choice back 4 for most of that second half, we were pretty comfortable. For a team playing at home, and really needing the win, the lack of attacking intent from utd was very poor. Not that I'm complaining! But this result means nothing if we fcuk up in South Wales in midweek. Onwards and upwards. And fair play to the general; he's banging in vital goals for us this season.

Do you play for Man City by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

United don't have the same kind of owners as city its pretty blatant and why leave out that he said Zlatan?

Lukaku was bought in the summer in an every inflating market so comparing it to when DeBruyne was bought isn't equal either.

I'm not saying United are paupers either but the comparison made was a load of nonsense imo of course

They spent big on Martial, Pogba & Lukaku in recent years. Few sides have spent those fees without selling a big player.
    Maybe they should have spent a bit less on signings like City do. Matic, Bailly, Lindelof & Mkhitaryan cost a lot to bring in but some of those havent made as much impact as expected.
    I didn't mention Zlatan cause he came on a free & he's 15 or 16 years older than Gabriel Jesus so his market value now is nowhere near higher.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Clear penalty by Jose, poor guy is cracking up.

anything to take the heat off his poor tactics and result....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

mada999 wrote: »
    anything to take the heat off his poor tactics and result....

Your spot on. He should have followed klopps playbook and got battered 5 zip.

I kick every ball. Why do you ask?

" Manchester United posted a 35% possession figure, their lowest at Old Trafford in the Premier League since 2003-04"

They spent big on Martial, Pogba & Lukaku in recent years. Few sides have spent those fees without selling a big player.
    Maybe they should have spent a bit less on signings like City do. Matic, Bailly, Lindelof & Mkhitaryan cost a lot to bring in but some of those havent made as much impact as expected.
    I didn't mention Zlatan cause he came on a free & he's 15 or 16 years older than Gabriel Jesus so his market value now is nowhere near higher.

Ya united have spent money a lot, recently especially but City have been throwing money at that team ever since their owners took over when United's owners were taking money out of the club to repay debts. The team/squad was let deteriorate and the spending started again when United were already playing catch up talent wise.

The OP included Zlatan which was the thing i was really calling nonsense on as he was signed on a free. But saying we are similar to PSG and City is also laughable tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'm all for slating Mourinho as a cheque book manager but tbf, Lukaku was bought this summer rather than last after significant inflation in fees, so it's not really a like for like comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Manchester United have been ahead of Manchester City and PSG in the revenue stakes for the past FIVE years.

Even when Jose had the galaticos's of Real Madrid he still played the same way and signed the same preferences of players. It's not a criticism of Jose that's what he knows best and believes will win him the most games, it's just bizarre to suggest that the reason united don't play more proactive is because they can't spend the money.

Can't fans use "we" when referring to the teams that they (genuinely) support? I think blueser is well known as a long time M City supporter on these forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Today was a fantastic result for City against a tough Wimbledon outfit whose long ball tactics nearly salvaged an undeserved point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

breaking news, sane has now left the pitch

think on this pop pickers,
    chelsea bought de bryne for 7 million, kakkers for 10 million and salah for 11 million

Jose sold them all!

It turned out to be an easy enough victory for City in the end.

The crying from some Utd fans about City spending is sour grapes, and I'd guess some bitterness or jealousy.

City are the top dogs in Manchester , and if they today has anything to go by, it's by a long shot.

It looks like a fight for runners up place at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We won the treble last year :pac::pac::pac:

Do Utd fans really consider the communty shield a trophy? Jesus wept. :o

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It turned out to be an easy enough victory for City in the end.

The crying from some Utd fans about City spending is sour grapes, and I'd guess some bitterness or jealousy.

City are the top dogs in Manchester , and if they today has anything to go by, it's by a long shot.

It looks like a fight for runners up place at this stage.

fergie said the same about chelsea, he said utd had to respond, and they did
    in the end its about management not money (though it helps)
    look at Leicester, look at chelsea last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

United were pure muck tonight. Very disappointing for their fans getting beaten at home by the noisy neighbours....who played them off the park and thoroughly deserved their win.

Herrera is an absolute ****e hawk of a player. If he spent half as much time as he does moaning and giving out and rolling around and leaving the boot in as he does playing hed actually be maybe half decent.

Anyway. One one team wanted to win tonight.

Can't fans use "we" when referring to the teams that they (genuinely) support? I think blueser is well known as a long time M City supporter on these forums.
    Just about every fan on here refers to the team they support as "we". And I was born and spent my first twenty years in Manchester (about 5-10 minutes walk from Maine Road), so I feel a particular affinity with the club and the fans. I think it was just a petty post from a disappointed utd fan. Noticeable he hasn't had the grace to answer my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City the better team in general. No doubt. It didn't really mean much though, as they never really carved Utd open; which is what José would've cared about.

All 3 goals in the game were defensive fúck ups.

There was nothing in that game to really discourage José playing the same way next time. If Lukaku does his job and doesn't smash it at Ederson, it's more than likely a draw.

As a couple of asides...

1. Nobody on either side should talk about the amount of money either manager has spent. That's laughable. Look at yourselves.

2. José must be on the shrooms if he actually thought that was a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

SlickRic wrote: »
    City the better team in general. No doubt. It didn't really mean much though, as they never really carved Utd open; which is what José would've cared about.

All 3 goals in the game were defensive fúck ups.

There was nothing in that game to really discourage José playing the same way next time. If Lukaku does his job and doesn't smash it at Ederson, it's more than likely a draw.

As a couple of asides...

1. Nobody on either side should talk about the amount of money either manager has spent. That's laughable. Look at yourselves.

2. José must be on the shrooms if he actually thought that was a penalty[.

In fairness every manager uses this tactic to take the players out of the firing line.. I’d say the media was ready to slate Lukaku but now they have their headlines of Jose criticising the ref. Klopp did the same earlier on but went a bit overboard

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness every manager uses this tactic to take the players out of the firing line.. I’d say the media was ready to slate Lukaku but now they have their headlines of Jose criticising the ref. Klopp did the same earlier on but went a bit overboard

Klopp wouldn't have gone as far as he did if the interviewer didn't try to make himself famous.

Point taken though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Klopp wouldn't have gone as far as he did if the interviewer didn't try to make himself famous.

Point taken though.

I don’t doubt that at all, it’s just a weird criticism these days that happen all the time when we all know what they are about :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Point taken though.

I don't see how klopp bumbling and fumbling around the interview = the interviewer trying to make himself famous.

Klopp opened up the interviewers line and he should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Do Utd fans really consider the communty shield a trophy? Jesus wept. :o

Hence the emojis. How didn't you pick up on that? :D

limnam wrote: »
    I don't see how klopp bumbling and fumbling around the interview = the interviewer trying to make himself famous.

Klopp opened up the interviewers line and he should know better.

Not getting into this here, but all I'll say is I've never seen an interviewer tell the manager he thought it was a penalty.

astradave wrote: »
    "A bit"?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Wingers in full back positions.
    Young strikers as wingers.
    Matic and Pogba are the only decent CMs at club and even at that Pogba can't play as one of two at CM as they're wide open when he does.

Plenty of work for Jose to do there. I assume he'll get time to do it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement