Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby Match Thread. 10/12/17 k/o 16.30

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Today was a fantastic result for City against a tough Wimbledon outfit whose long ball tactics nearly salvaged an undeserved point.

awh. People on the internet liked your witty post! You should try commenting on a few of the journal.ie articles... you'll win even more there x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I found it a pretty dull derby tbh, I expected a bit more. City got lucky enough really, they controlled possession and defended well as a unit (the way they move their defensive line out is magnificent) and United defended resolutely for the most part. The teams kind of cancelled each other out though. I expected more from both attacking wise, City were happy to pass the ball around rather aimlessly I thought and United couldn't even aim a long ball in the right direction. Both teams setup not to lose, rather than win I think.

City got lucky in the sense that both their goals capitalized on 2 extremely poor clearances from set pieces. United got lucky with the equalizer.

I have no idea how KdB got MOTM, thought he was sh*te, Sterling deserved it for me, Silva was also quite good.

The game had me nodding off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Nalz wrote: »
    awh. People on the internet liked your witty post! You should try commenting on a few of the journal.ie articles... you'll win even more there x

Its a fair comparison. utd under Mouriniho are a team of hoofers who got exactly what they deserved today. **** all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Its a fair comparison. utd under Mouriniho are a team of hoofers who got exactly what they deserved today. **** all.

United under mourinho this season have had more points at the start of a season than they've had for years. Have scored some games with a 4-0 results (4 or 5) one of the best defensive records this and last season.
    Not taking away from what city are doing this season as there a quality side in the PL but your talking absolute nonsense.
    These kind of posts are pointless, offer nothing but to come in and have a dig and talk absolute ****e.

OK, I'll bite. United don't play like Wimbeldon and aren't a team of hoofers. They may have done that a lot today, because most of their players aren't of the c;as of City (or at least some of them aren't) but they don't play like that against a lot of teams and tbh.... your comment was either lazy, childish or just hunting for thanks from the ABUs (or whatever they're called nowadays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

AidoEirE wrote: »
    United under mourinho this season have had more points at the start of a season than they've had for years. Have scored some games with a 4-0 results (4 or 5) one of the best defensive records this and last season.
    Not taking away from what city are doing this season as there a quality side in the PL but your talking absolute nonsense.
    These kind of posts are pointless, offer nothing but to come in and have a dig and talk absolute ****e.

They're a team of flat track bullies who will sweep aside all the poorer sides in the league. The hadn't the courage to try to outplay city or even come out of their defensive set up. The golden era is long gone for utd. The fear factor is no more.

They're a team of flat track bullies who will sweep aside all the poorer sides in the league.

Bullies? WTF
    The hadn't the courage to try to outplay city or even come out of their defensive set up. The golden era is long gone for utd. The fear factor is no more.

Very very few will deny that United are no longer a force to be reckoned with when it comes to competing at the top. This however does not mean they are now Wimbeldon. They need 2 to 3 players of decent quality. What we thought Mkhitaryan would be. What Silva and KDB are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

They're a team of flat track bullies who will sweep aside all the poorer sides in the league. The hadn't the courage to try to outplay city or even come out of their defensive set up. The golden era is long gone for utd. The fear factor is no more.

All utd fans will say the golden era was gone the day fergie left. Having martial, lingard, rashford behind lukaku is not a defensive setup.
    Flat track bullies who sweep the poorer sides is nonsense. The Premier league has some of the wealthiest in the world 13 clubs have billionaire owners, the lowest being brighton. Quick google and you see it.
    My point being there is no 'poor' premier league team it all depends on how much the owners of said club want to put into it.

Again its another pointless post from yourself

Nalz wrote: »
    your comment was either lazy, childish or just hunting for thanks from the ABUs (or whatever they're called nowadays)

People who don't like the dominant club?

Presume its ABCs, where C stands for City or Chelsea...

No, not them silly.

The people who don't like Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

A people still massively hate United. I wish that our fall from winning the league season after season got rid of the ABU morons that you literally can't speak to about football, but this thread and others like it show that it wasn't the case. Now we don't win leagues and still have to listen to dribblers talk about how Jose parked de bus Lolz!!!1!

City so impressive so far in the league. Can't remember a team looking so good this early, Best ever tally after 16 games surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

In fairness to Man City.while they didn’t create an awful lot of clear cut chances today their passing and movement was excellent.
    As a Utd fan I was screaming at the TV from 10 mins in to switch Martial and Rashford.
    Once Martial started on the left in the second half he really got into the game.
    Thought Matic looked unfit and off the pace of the game.
    Considering what he cost in the summer Lukaku is very poor at holding up the play.He doesn’t use his bulk well enough at all.
    Biggest positive from a Utd perspective for me was solid 45 mins from both Rojo and Lindelof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I thought City were far superior in every position (maybe except Delph)

Both have spend big but only one team has something to show for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I thought United actually did alright, based on the capabilities of the personnel they had on the pitch. City are just a far better football team than United, which is why they won the game.

Not sure why Mata doesn't play for United more. Probably their only genuinely creative attacking midfield, and created their best chance when he was on the pitch.

Lukaku is a good goalscorer (normally) but his all-round play is very limited IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Got an message in a whatsapp group which was a screenshot of a facebook message between a mate and his cousin who works with MUTV. Said something about Lukaku throwing a bottle and splitting that ex Arsenal lad open after the match somewhere in Old Trafford. Was there supposed to be trouble or something? Or is this Chinese whispers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Got an message in a whatsapp group which was a screenshot of a facebook message between a mate and his cousin who works with MUTV. Said something about Lukaku throwing a bottle and splitting that ex Arsenal lad open after the match somewhere in Old Trafford. Was there supposed to be trouble or something? Or is this Chinese whispers?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-coach-mikel-arteta-11673911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mourinho went into the away dressing room to tell them to quieten down? Jaysus, total defeat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mourinho went into the away dressing room to tell them to quieten down? Jaysus, total defeat :)

Also, José in hypocrite shocker.

article-1269604-09593019000005DC-379_468x346.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

100% peno on herrrea all day

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I see a number of Manchester United fans are starting to see what the rest of the football world has known for a while now, Mourinho is a busted flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I see a number of Manchester United fans are starting to see what the rest of the football world has known for a while now, Mourinho is a busted flush.

Hang on, United are doing well this season, City have been exceptional though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They're not.

They're just not as good as City, and he's not as good as Pep.

There's no shame in any of that.

Real Madrid part 2.

Mourinho showing his true colours again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Yep, draw fair result but we could have won it too. You's didn't great much aside from the two lucky goals.

Clueless. If you actually believe that, which I suspect you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yeah cause having our best points total at this stage since Fergie, having the second best goal difference(to a record breaking city side), having a ppg average that in 1 of every 2 years would win you the league means he is no doubt a busted flush..

You haven’t a ****in notion what your talking about so it is probably better that you don’t say anything at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Real Madrid part 2.

Mourinho showing his true colours again.

Second in the league, best points total since fergie left, coasting in Europe..

Only reason not top is because this city team are simply phenomenal and look like they'll win the league at a canter..

But yes Mourinho is bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Should have showered him in lemon juice instead of milk and water.

• bennyl10 wrote: »

Only reason not top is because this city team are simply phenomenal and look like they'll win the league at a canter..

TBH Don't expect a logical discussion in the match thread :pac:

Mourinho melting down at clubs is generally entertaining. It'll be interesting to see if this is the start of another one.

There's probably more to this story too from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

City's front 6 is streets ahead of what utd can put out. Pogba is the only one that would get in the front 6 and even that is debatable. It also comes down to bravery on the ball the number of times city passed the ball out from the back under pressure was a joy to watch. Utd regularly just sent aimless punts forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

bennyl10 wrote: »

There is never a dull moment with José and I will miss him when he gets sacked but I would be very worried if I was a Utd fan. He has destroyed Mykhitarian, has set back Martial, is reluctant to play Rashford and we all know his history with Mata.

But he most startling act of self destruction was his 'support' for Lukaku when he went all of about a game and a half without scoring. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but ever since José came out in support of his striker against the boo boys telling the world that he loved him and the work he was doing that Lukaku has looked like a novice. I can only assume Lukaku started thinking: "WTF? I thought I was doing great, what am I doing wrong?" I would be curious to know were there even any 'fans' booing him? It looks like another example of José's famous 'motivational techniques' that has backfired yet again. Curiously these motivational techniques tend to show José in a situation where his players are letting him down not the other way round.

Those five players should be opening up opposition teams instead of closing down space (or sitting on the bench in some cases). As teams at the bottom start to become more desperate for points it will be increasingly harder to break them down and I think José will live to regret the treatment he dishes out to his most creative players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

City's front 6 is streets ahead of what utd can put out. Pogba is the only one that would get in the front 6 and even that is debatable. It also comes down to bravery on the ball the number of times city passed the ball out from the back under pressure was a joy to watch. Utd regularly just sent aimless punts forward.
    Pogba is the driving force of that utd team, without a doubt. But I wouldn't swap any of our midfielders for him. Then again, I might be slightly biased! Agree with you about the difference in the teams when playing the ball out from the back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blueser wrote: »
    Pogba is the driving force of that utd team, without a doubt. But I wouldn't swap any of our midfielders for him. Then again, I might be slightly biased! Agree with you about the difference in the teams when playing the ball out from the back though.

Are City not missing a few of your midfielders? Is Gundogen back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are City not missing a few of your midfielders? Is Gundogen back?
    Gundogan is back now. Came on as a sub yesterday. And Bernardo Silva was on the bench as well. It's defenders we're missing. Badly. Three of our first choice back four weren't available at the end of the game yesterday (Mendy, Vinnie and Stones). I wouldn't be going after Sanchez in January. A CB and LB is what we need. Van Dijk and Bertrand.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Mourinho melting down at clubs is generally entertaining. It'll be interesting to see if this is the start of another one.

There's probably more to this story too from both sides.

People who live in stones shouldn't throw glass houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Deise Vu wrote: »
    There is never a dull moment with José and I will miss him when he gets sacked but I would be very worried if I was a Utd fan. He has destroyed Mykhitarian, has set back Martial, is reluctant to play Rashford and we all know his history with Mata.

But he most startling act of self destruction was his 'support' for Lukaku when he went all of about a game and a half without scoring. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but ever since José came out in support of his striker against the boo boys telling the world that he loved him and the work he was doing that Lukaku has looked like a novice. I can only assume Lukaku started thinking: "WTF? I thought I was doing great, what am I doing wrong?" I would be curious to know were there even any 'fans' booing him? It looks like another example of José's famous 'motivational techniques' that has backfired yet again. Curiously these motivational techniques tend to show José in a situation where his players are letting him down not the other way round.

Those five players should be opening up opposition teams instead of closing down space (or sitting on the bench in some cases). As teams at the bottom start to become more desperate for points it will be increasingly harder to break them down and I think José will live to regret the treatment he dishes out to his most creative players.

What a load of drivel. You obviously haven't been watching United. Sacked? He has massively improved the United team in a year and a half and will continue to do so. Miki got a 4 game run and was ****e in every game. He's not good enough for the PL at the highest level. That's the reality.

Martial and Rashford have been playing every single game as well and are both rapidly improving. History with Mata means nothing. Chelsea had Hazzard. A far superior number 10. Mata was not going to get games and he wanted the money for players he actually needed.

The reality is Mata is not good enough either. United have been struggling to find a great number 10 for years. Jesse Lingard is better than Mata and Miki at the moment. That says a lot.

Lukaku has been **** recently as well. Could be blamed for missing a sitter and gifting City 2 goals. Lukaku has been **** for most of his recent games but still get's to play 90 mins every game. Clearly Joses fault that he's under performing though right?

United still need about 3-4 top signings to really compete with City who have been investing a lot more money into the team than United in recent years.

Regardless of the result I'm happy with United and Jose's performance this season. Expecting to beat this unbeaten City team with no Pogba, an injured Matic and a woeful Lukaku was a big ask and they still could have done better. A draw or win wasn't off the cards if Lukaku had been anything other than awful Any other season in the last 5 years United would have been top of the league. City are simply better than everyone this year.

BloodBath wrote: »
    What a load of drivel. You obviously haven't been watching United. Sacked? He has massively improved the United team in a year and a half and will continue to do so. Miki got a 4 game run and was ****e in every game. He's not good enough for the PL at the highest level. That's the reality.

Martial and Rashford have been playing every single game as well and are both rapidly improving. History with Mata means nothing. Chelsea had Hazzard. A far superior number 10. Mata was not going to get games and he wanted the money for players he actually needed.

The reality is Mata is not good enough either. United have been struggling to find a great number 10 for years. Jesse Lingard is better than Mata and Miki at the moment. That says a lot.

Lukaku has been **** recently as well. Could be blamed for missing a sitter and gifting City 2 goals. Lukaku has been **** for most of his recent games but still get's to play 90 mins every game. Clearly Joses fault that he's under performing though right?

United still need about 3-4 top signings to really compete with City who have been investing a lot more money into the team than United in recent years.

Regardless of the result I'm happy with United and Jose's performance this season. Expecting to beat this unbeaten City team with no Pogba, an injured Matic and a woeful Lukaku was a big ask and they still could have done better. A draw or win wasn't off the cards if Lukaku had been anything other than awful Any other season in the last 5 years United would have been top of the league. City are simply better than everyone this year.

You are probably right about the amount of times I watch Utd, they are generally drivel to watch. However if you think Martial and Rashford are better than their first seasons I would wonder are you watching them yourself. Martial and De Gea saved Utd from a relegation battle under Van Gaal and when Rashford broke on the scene he was causing mayhem and scoring goals for fun.

Nowadays Rashford runs around aimlessly until he gets the hook and Martial looks like there's a firing squad waiting in the dressing room. Mykhitarian was one of the best players in Europe until José got a hold of him and Lukaku has, totally coincidentally I'm sure, been utter cack since José felt the need to 'defend' him (which, to José's horror I'm sure, only shifted more pressure onto him).

You don't think any of that is on the manager? Sure he can always flash the chequebook again like he has been doing. Maybe it would be effective though if he tried managing instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Sounds like Lukaku led the line quite effectively in the tunnel afterwards.

The lads got bottle :)

Deise Vu wrote: »
    You are probably right about the amount of times I watch Utd, they are generally drivel to watch. However if you think Martial and Rashford are better than their first seasons I would wonder are you watching them yourself. Martial and De Gea saved Utd from a relegation battle under Van Gaal and when Rashford broke on the scene he was causing mayhem and scoring goals for fun.

Nowadays Rashford runs around aimlessly until he gets the hook and Martial looks like there's a firing squad waiting in the dressing room. Mykhitarian was one of the best players in Europe until José got a hold of him and Lukaku has, totally coincidentally I'm sure, been utter cack since José felt the need to 'defend' him (which, to José's horror I'm sure, only shifted more pressure onto him).

You don't think any of that is on the manager? Sure he can always flash the chequebook again like he has been doing. Maybe it would be effective though if he tried managing instead.

Martial is having his best year in terms of goal/assists/bigchancescreated per minute since he signed

• Advertisement

• Martial is having his best year in terms of goal/assists/bigchancescreated per minute since he signed

None of what he said is relevant. He / She hasn't looked into any actual facts. Just one liners, and nonsense narratives.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    None of what he said is relevant. He / She hasn't looked into any actual facts. Just one liners, and nonsense narratives.

Dream on. The rest of us are buying in the popcorn for the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Locked down! Back to the super threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement