Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding and soother ?

Options
  • 10-12-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice my baby is coming up to 6 weeks old breastfeeding is going well but he is using me as a soother alot lately,should I give him a soother I am reluctant to I don't want it to affect my milk.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Is it still to early to give a soother ? Should I just let him do what seems to comfort him ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Isn’t there a big developmental leap or growth spurt at around six weeks, which makes them feed like crazy and extra clingy/cranky as a result?

My boy is 10 months now, but I remember a week or so of non-stop boobing around six weeks. Within a few days, he returned to normal though.

If you don’t have The Wonder Weeks app, I would highly recommend it. It explains so much about developmental stages and behavioural changes, especially in the early weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Isn’t there a big developmental leap or growth spurt at around six weeks, which makes them feed like crazy and extra clingy/cranky as a result?

My boy is 10 months now, but I remember a week or so of non-stop boobing around six weeks. Within a few days, he returned to normal though.

If you don’t have The Wonder Weeks app, I would highly recommend it. It explains so much about developmental stages and behavioural changes, especially in the early weeks.

Thanks for your reply
    I will definitely give it another week or so I'd rather not give him a soother at all if I can help it but I just can't get a minute to doing anything lately, hopefully it is just a growth spurt .
    I'm going to download that app straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I’d be willing to put money on it that this will pass for you in a few days. Until then, get comfy and cosy and cuddled up for lots and lots of booby snuggles. It will get easier very soon.

After six weeks of EBF, baba probably won’t take a soother anyway. My wee boy was never keen at all. Sometimes I’d love it if he would just take one, but ultimately I know that I’ll be glad of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My little fella is 3.5 weeks old and we gave him a soother at about 5 or 6 days. It wasn't in our original plan but he is a very sucky baby and my nipples were in sh!t. It hasn't affected his feeding at all but we also had to introduce formula top ups from days 3-8 for jaundice so he got used to having bottles/ soother in his mouth. The fact that he is used to a bottle is brilliant as I am able to express too. I know none of that is recommended before 6 weeks but we had to do it. I am sure after 6 weeks of exclusively breastfeeding, everything is established for you so it shouldn't affect things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I gave mine a soother too after a couple of weeks. He’s not that into it, but it’s helpful sometimes if I need to get something done. It never affected my feeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Thanks for all the replies
    I feel a bit better knowing it's normal the wonder weeks app has been an eye opener .

I'll wait it out awhile longer I do have a soother on stand by though just incase my nipples get sore they are feeling a bit raw !

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Not knocking the soother as tried to get my boy to take one and he refused! Sounds like a growth spurt so if you can get through it without one it might be one less thing to wean him off down the line. My niece got into a habit of waking up if it feel out her mouth which turned into a bit of a pain for parents ! Desperately tried to get one that worked for my lad but 14 months down the line when he weaned he slept through with no bottles or soother so paid off then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

My wife and I were planning on giving one no earlier than 4 weeks, but discovered after 6 days of very little sleep that it did wonders. My wife was quite anxious about trying it but the little one's still breastfeeding and she was 2 in august :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

My little fella is 3.5 weeks old and we gave him a soother at about 5 or 6 days. It wasn't in our original plan but he is a very sucky baby and my nipples were in sh!t. It hasn't affected his feeding at all but we also had to introduce formula top ups from days 3-8 for jaundice so he got used to having bottles/ soother in his mouth. The fact that he is used to a bottle is brilliant as I am able to express too. I know none of that is recommended before 6 weeks but we had to do it. I am sure after 6 weeks of exclusively breastfeeding, everything is established for you so it shouldn't affect things.

Exact same on both kids. Boob, soother and 1 nightly top up bottle of formula by 1 week. No nip confusion. Parental sanity dictated. Am so glad I had both on bottles early as many Ladies I know struggled with getting baby to accept a bottle, and even in time for going back to work.

Soother has it's drawbacks tho. 3 yr old still uses for bed. Had him off it by day at 1 year. Can be v hard when kid wakes at nite for soother and your looking under the cot bleary eyed at stupid o clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Stray_Cat wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this problem ? Is it still to early to give a soother ? Should I just let him do what seems to comfort him ?

It's only a problem because you think it's a problem. It's totally normal and healthy.

Yes, you should let him do what he naturally needs to do for comfort. The world is big, new and scary and all your baby needs is you. Babies latch on to their mothers for so many more reasons than just nutrition.

I know it can be hard on those days when it feels like you'll never get a break but if you accept it, give in and follow your baby's lead, you will realise how precious every moment of him being latched on is and enjoy it a lot more. It won't last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Congrats on your new baby. My guy is 5 weeks and is similar, his sister was the same. I find it easier to just go with it and try not to clock watch or anything when they're latched on. It does pass I promise! Also I heard someone say this once - your baby isn't using you as a soother, rather babies use a soother as a boob. Thought that made sense and made me see that them staying latched on for comfort is normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Whatever works for you I'd go with. I must be unique in that my LO only took a soother from 7 months! Coincided with finishing breastfeeding. They're all different

Advertisement