Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert Economics. Please help!

• 10-12-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I am currently in 5th year and the 3 options I picked are Business, Home Ec and Geography. I really regret picking them because they're all really different and I don't feel they'll help me pick a course for college.
    I want to swap Home Ec or Geography for Economics as I think Business and Economics would go well together. The thing is i'm not very good at maths. I do ordinary level since second year but I feel like a big reason for that is because I never really put in the work. I'm trying harder this year, started getting grinds and I can already see improvements.

Am I crazy swapping to economics if i'm not great at maths and it being this late in the year?
    Would it be possible to do well if I actually put in the work?

Any help would be appreciated ASAP since I want to swap now if I am doing it.
    Thanks in advance.

I also didn't do Business for the JC, but i'm really enjoying it this year. Not sure if that means anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 martina__f

There isn't all that much maths in Economics, at all. If you can do a/b=c/d type manipulations, you're sorted. The graphs look a little intimidating, but they're not actually mathematics per se.

I didn't have an Economics teacher in 6th year (long story), but I was grand. So I would even consider doing it not instead, but in addition to your existing subjects (unless you're under a lot of pressure already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

So I am currently in 5th year and the 3 options I picked are Business, Home Ec and Geography. I really regret picking them because they're all really different and I don't feel they'll help me pick a course for college.
    I want to swap Home Ec or Geography for Economics as I think Business and Economics would go well together. The thing is i'm not very good at maths. I do ordinary level since second year but I feel like a big reason for that is because I never really put in the work. I'm trying harder this year, started getting grinds and I can already see improvements.

Am I crazy swapping to economics if i'm not great at maths and it being this late in the year?
    Would it be possible to do well if I actually put in the work?

Any help would be appreciated ASAP since I want to swap now if I am doing it.
    Thanks in advance.

I also didn't do Business for the JC, but i'm really enjoying it this year. Not sure if that means anything.

Why would it matter if your subjects are similar??? Studying Business at leaving cert will not help you in studying Economics too. They won't compliment each other. If anything studying different subjects is better because when you get bored of studying one you can switch to another and stay motivated.

That said, Economics is not maths heavy at all. It's just simple formulas and stuff and anyone who's okay with Ordinary Level Maths will be fine with Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 acoustic guitar

Have you started the LC Journals for Home Ec?

Advertisement