Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Freezing - HP Pavilion Windows 10

Options
  • 10-12-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello, I have a HP Pavillion Desktop Q9 running Windows 10 home. There is very little strain on the CPU as there are minimum programmes on it and its only really used for browsing and word docs. In the last 2 weeks the computer has started freezing randomly when using random programmes, it freezes for around 30 seconds and comes around then and works normally. I have also noticed that it takes longer to wake then usual.

The computer is less than 1 year old with 20 odd days left on warranty.Up to date Mcafee virus scan runs on this and scans have returned noting unusual.I have installed Malwarebytes and Ccleaner over last week but noting unusual has been returned from scans. Windows updates have been completed and I have searched for updated drivers but all appears to be in order.

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Any indication in Task Manager for "Not Responding" program/service?
    Also monitor HDD activity if it goes(and stay prolonged) into 100% at starting any program.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dell2009

Thanks for your response.

No indication in Task Manager of any "not responding" program/service.

At the moment the processes read 7% CPU , 38% Memory, 0% Disk, 0% Network , 1%GPU.

Very little programs are enabled at start up but I don't know what "Catalyst Control Centre Launcher" is, which is enabled on start up.

Any input welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dell2009 wrote: »
    Very little programs are enabled at start up but I don't know what "Catalyst Control Centre Launcher" is, which is enabled on start up.
    That's AMD's graphics control center.
    I have also noticed that it takes longer to wake then usual.
    Get this program to check the health of your heard-drive;
    https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/68590/CrystalDiskInfo7_5_0.exe/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcorden

When if freezes does it look like the hard disk drive is working, i.e. is the HD indicator light flashing or does it just stop working completely? Did you install any software in the last few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is it an ssd?

• Advertisement

If the computer is left idle for a bit and I go back to use it once I move mouse I hear the fan whirring and the computer freezes and nothing will happen for 45 seconds or so. Then it unfreezes and can work grand for hours.

I an unsure if it is a SSD how would I find out?

The computer has little on it and there does not appear to be any malware or virus on it.

Could it be a windows update that is causing the problem cause that would have been the only thing downloaded in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If the computer is left idle for a bit and I go back to use it once I move mouse I hear the fan whirring and the computer freezes and nothing will happen for 45 seconds or so. Then it unfreezes and can work grand for hours.

The computer has little on it and there does not appear to be any malware or virus on it.

Could it be a windows update that is causing the problem cause that would have been the only thing downloaded in the last few weeks.

sounds like hibernation mode. you can disable it

More like sleep mode. Check if your PC set to Power Saver plan
    Go: Control Panel -> Power Options and change to High Performance power plan. See if this changes PC's behavior.
    Open Task Manager, on Performance tab select Disk 0 (C: ), observe top right corner, you should see something like "Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB" or "ST2000DX001-1CM164". Where first one clearly states SSD, second sample only show model number - google it and you'l see what type drive you got.

Thanks Smuggler.ie.

I have changed the power setting to "High Performance" and i will keep an eye on PC over next 24 hours.

As regards SDD when i open task manager and look at C: it reads "SAMSUNG MZ7LN128HCHP-000H1"

My warranty runs out in 15 days, should i notify HP of the problem/should i just invoke warranty now?

As regards SDD when i open task manager and look at C: it reads "SAMSUNG MZ7LN128HCHP-000H1"
    Yep that is SSD
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZ7LN128HCHP

Can you recall what power plan was before you changed to "High perf."?
    Was you monitor turning off? If it was on "Power saver" , by default this setting puts your PC to sleep after 15 min inactivity and turns monitor off after 5min(both settings can be modified).

• Advertisement

I think it was on "balanced" before i changed it, it was not on "Power saver"

I have also noticed that the windows button down the bottom left corner of the screen is unresponsive sometimes when i click it so i can't shut down the computer in the normal fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcorden

It might be no harm to ring HP and log a call while it is still under warranty. They should help you to troubleshoot the issue to determine if it is a hardware problem or a software issue.

Advertisement