Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate 'Does It All' Bike?

Options
  • 10-12-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

I'm looking for the best all rounder, something you could use commuting so mudguards and rack mount would be a must, but also have clearance for at least 35mm tyres to possibly give cyclocross a bash.
    The tyre clearance means it would almost certainly have to be disc, while cyclocross means carbon isn't really an option.
    I'm really tempted by something like the enigma escape below, but I'm really struggling to justify the price :
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/bikes/escape/

Does anyone have/think of anything that fits the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What about a Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMR8000/planet-x-full-monty-shimano-ultegra-r8000-disc-gravel-bike

It seems to fit your requirements. They have cheaper and more expensive models.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was going to suggest a genesis, but they can't come close to competing with that planet X bike on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭BikeRacer

Eamonnator wrote: »
    What about a Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMR8000/planet-x-full-monty-shimano-ultegra-r8000-disc-gravel-bike

It seems to fit your requirements. They have cheaper and more expensive models.

Very nice bike and ticks a lot of boxes for what I'm looking for, but mech brakes and pretty aggressive geometry for that type of bike rules it out I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

these guys also do very nice titanium bikes, think Stagg cycles in lucan sell them, prob on a par with enigma's

https://www.vannicholas.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rose to a good range of Cross bikes starting at €1400. I've had the Ultegra CX Pro with full hydraulic brakes for a few years now and find it great on roads and fire-roads and a joy to ride. To be honest, if I'd had the money for an Enigma or a Van Nicholas I'd go for it, for no good reason other than just because. As others have said, the Planet X 1x11 also looks like fun bike at a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BikeRacer wrote: »
    something you could use commuting so mudguards and rack mount would be a must, but also have clearance for at least 35mm tyres to possibly give cyclocross a bash
    Fitting/unfitting mudguards is a total PITA, there's no way you want to be doing that before and after each CX session/race.

I have tried and I just ended up leaving the mudguards off for the season (I have made many attempts at one bike to rule them all).

Doesn't make it a bad idea though, only that two bikes is always better than one, space and budget allowing.

Ti is overrated other than the fact that it looks good and always cleans up perfectly, prefer carbon for stiffness and weight, but if you're running big tyres you're going to get decent ride quality with 28mm tyres anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The tyre clearance means it would almost certainly have to be disc

Or cantilever?

(Worse stopping times though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Have an etape enigma frames are second to none if you like ti. Get polished on logos then after mucky winter strip id down powerhose and polish will come up as good as new

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm really tempted by something like the enigma escape below, but I'm really struggling to justify the price :
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/bikes/escape/
    i just looked at the prices on these. what am i missing off the component list that would explain a £2000 difference between the price of the full bike, and the price of the frameset on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lumen wrote: »
    Fitting/unfitting mudguards is a total PITA, there's no way you want to be doing that before and after each CX session/race.

I run this type and they are a sinch https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbb-roadprotector-guards/?country_code=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiA9rjRBRAeEiwA2SV4ZcOhYd8bHrs-55q7JSrpUU6pWssS5e3r0hsScugqmqXWT5UN_5s0bRoCwgoQAvD_BwE#pid=3788

Open the lip slide off, slide on close clip.

• Advertisement

I'd mainly use mudguards to keep my feet dry, but those look like the sort which only keep your arse dry.

I don't think there are any full coverage mudguards that are quick release, but I admit I haven't looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've had a Genesis Croix de Fer for about a year or so now and love it. HyRd brakes and 35mm tyres with loads of clearance (think it'll take 40mm with no guards), eyelets for front and rear racks. The mudguards do stay on however - way more faff than I fancy to be taking them off. I paid about €1400 in Victoria Cycles in Cork in a sale, so it's probably worth looking around. While it's a lovely bike to ride on the road and on trails with the right tyres, it's a fair weight especially with all the bits on, so I don't think it'd be too competitive against some lightweight carbon CX frame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd mainly use mudguards to keep my feet dry, but those look like the sort which only keep your arse dry.

I don't think there are any full coverage mudguards that are quick release, but I admit I haven't looked.

They do sit a bit high alright, more cover your face and your arse than your feet. I normally where full neoprene overshoes at this time of year though so not as much a concern for me.

i like full length muguards given what salt did to my chain and cables where they run under the bottom bracket, about this time last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i like full length muguards given what salt did to my chain and cables where they run under the bottom bracket, about this time last year.

They're good if you stay on the road, but if you go off road at all they can clog up with mud and become a nuisance.

smacl wrote: »
    They're good if you stay on the road, but if you go off road at all they can clog up with mud and become a nuisance.
    And there falls the dream of one uncompromised bike to rule them all, felled by mudguard limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Very nice bike and ticks a lot of boxes for what I'm looking for, but mech brakes and pretty aggressive geometry for that type of bike rules it out I'm afraid!

Or with SRAM 1x and hydro brakes...... https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMAPEX1/planet-x-full-monty-sram-apex-1-hydraulic-disc-gravel-bike all for £800. I'm no fan of SRAM, but that looks like a deal.

"With a moderately long head tube and raised front end you'll find the riding position perfect for slogging up fire road drags."

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭BikeRacer

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I've given it a fair bit of thought now and decided I was doing too much thinking and just went 'F*ck it, lifes too short' and bought this:
    https://www.freeborn.co.uk/kinesis-racelight-gf-ti-disc-frameset-23482
    Everything I want and €500 cheaper than the enigma.
    I've also instructed my solicitor to the true value of the bike to put in my will, as I've told my wife it was 'on sale for €300'...

Advertisement