Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvas fell off wall and hit wall socket

Options
  • 10-12-2017 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey, as above, canvas picture just fell off wall and knocked a wall socket out and cracked the insert for screw.. Could a handy man fix it or would I need an electrician.. Sorry clueless and in rented accommodation.. Just after putting. Electrical tape on it now and its not hanging off now, don't want my little boy at it.. Had the Christmas tree plugged in.. Socket seems to be still working.. Is it safe you reckon.. Have it plugged out now obviously.. Any advise please for clueless mammy..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hey, as above, canvas picture just fell off wall and knocked a wall socket out and cracked the insert for screw.. Could a handy man fix it or would I need an electrician.. Sorry clueless and in rented accommodation.. Just after putting. Electrical tape on it now and its not hanging off now, don't want my little boy at it.. Had the Christmas tree plugged in.. Socket seems to be still working.. Is it safe you reckon.. Have it plugged out now obviously.. Any advise please for clueless mammy..

Can you post a picture of it? It's not a big job to replace the socket. If it's safe or not depends on the damage done to the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Tks for getting back to me.. I had tape on it put now that's falling off.. I'll need to get electrician of say to just replace it asap..

Post a pic so people can advise properly

Might be a diy job

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

aido79 wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of it? It's not a big job to replace the socket. If it's safe or not depends on the damage done to the socket.

Won't let me attach picture

Here

Here

Got it working here are the pics..

• Advertisement

Got it working here are the pics..

Looks like an easy fix. Are you confident enough to turn the circuit breaker off and unscrew it from the wall? It looks like it's just been dislodged from the box at the back of the socket.

aido79 wrote: »
    Looks like an easy fix. Are you confident enough to turn the circuit breaker off and unscrew it from the wall? It looks like it's just been dislodged from the box at the back of the socket.

Not a clue what that means haha.. But what I have done looked inside it and it just seem like where you screw it on inside has cracked, but I didn't want to pull at socket much in case I losen the wires, I have put electrical tape around it now to make sure my little boy won't get at it..

sugarman wrote: »
    Fairly straightforward fix, could you not give the landlord a shout? Explain what happened and supply the parts yourself?

They would prob just get some one in themselves, so prob just get onto a handyman myslef so to fix. I good with diy myself but be afraid of electrics..

Tks all for help.

Not a clue what that means haha.. But what I have done looked inside it and it just seem like where you screw it on inside has cracked, but I didn't want to pull at socket much in case I losen the wires, I have put electrical tape around it now to make sure my little boy won't get at it..

Probably best to get a handyman to fix it so. It's really too simple a job to get an electrician involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Its a simple enough thing to fix, if you know how, but tbh they should not be mucking around with it if as they state they are reluctant to go near electrics and as they are renting Id suggest they should not even be letting anyone else go near it of they are not qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A good handyman can do a lot job like this. Problem is how much do you know they are good at electrical work. You usually only find out months in the future if they have done something dangerous

My suggestion is to ask the landlord to supply the tradesman /handyman and to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A good handyman can do a lot job like this. Problem is how much do you know they are good at electrical work. You usually only find out months in the future if they have done something dangerous

My suggestion is to ask the landlord to supply the tradesman /handyman and to pay them.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if the landlord just organises to drop by and fix it themselves. 99% of the time it's simply a case of screwing the cover back on. There's a remote chance the screw might need to be replaced if a thread is worn too much. Note, if the landlord is dropping in to fix it then they must arrange a suitable time with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,593 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks as though it was barely tacked into the plasterboard with a small screw and it was mostly paint that was holding it in place. Bit fiddly to fix it as there is now nothing to screw into, but not a big job, handyman job.

looksee wrote: »
    It looks as though it was barely tacked into the plasterboard with a small screw and it was mostly paint that was holding it in place. Bit fiddly to fix it as there is now nothing to screw into, but not a big job, handyman job.

Tks, yeah I have electrical tape around it now so it cant fall off.. Agree it looks like it was stuck on with paint.. I'll leave it be till I get someone in, and won't use just to be safe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Looks like whoever installed it in the first place went on a lick and a promise after they rung the thread holding it in. Probably nothing to be afraid of bar the gap - and obviously keep kids away from it.

Advertisement