Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Exeter v Leinster - KO 17:30 ~ 10/12/17 - BT Sport 2/BEin Sport

Comments

awec wrote: »
    He was totally correct. He asked try yes or no.

A try was scored and he's officialdom'd his way out of awarding it. Correct my arse.

This is going to start seriously costing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Exeter have been rubbish. We will win this the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

AdamD wrote: »
    Which is the wrong question. Also anyone watching the video knows he scored..

No, it's not the wrong question. It's just inconvenient for Leinster fans that it was the one asked.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A try was scored and he's officialdom'd his way out of awarding it. Correct my arse.

We have no idea if a try was scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think ye're beginning to see why Munster fans used be so frustrated by Poite, he used do stuff like this the whole time

Don't know how anyone could question Poite there, he's absolutely right. No angle of the try being scored at all

People are questioning the question, a clear try has not been awarded because of interactions between the ref and TMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So...are we all still cool with Poite as ref...

Aren't Exeter backs offside at every scrum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ah sorry that try is given all around the world this weekend, everyone and their mother knows he scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

jesus christ that was so clearly a try you insufferable pedants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

People are questioning the question, a clear try has not been awarded because of interactions between the ref and TMO.

Poite CANNOT ask the other question unless he has seen a clear grounding. Do people think he's lying when he said the ball was held up when he got there to look at it???

I know that people are doing that. I'm saying that they're wrong, quite obviously. If it was a clear try it would have been given, unfortunately it wasn't.

Poite said it had been held up when he looked. He HAD to ask try yes or no and there was no video evidence of a try being scored conclusively, only that one probably had been scored which unfortunately is not strong enough evidence in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

There is no way in a million years that was held up. There was nobody close to being underneath toner

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Poite CANNOT ask the other question unless he has seen a clear grounding. Do people think he's lying when he said the ball was held up when he got there to look at it???

The rules for rugby fans clearly say that the "any reason" question should only be asked when 1) a grounding has been observed or 2) when it's my team who are going to lose out.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So...are we all still cool with Poite as ref...

I think everything has been borderline. They easily could go the other way.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There is no way in a million years that was held up. There was nobody close to being underneath toner

Doesn’t matter. Couldn’t see a grounding. Couldn’t verify it was over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Poite has been spot on so far.

Can’t believe I’m here defending a referee. We’ve come full circle folks.

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »

Nope. But he could have dropped it. Or he could have been short of the line. Who knows.

I'd love it if a lad with a pen a paper ran down and changed the rules of the sport just to suit my team, but alas that's not how these things happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Doesn’t matter. Couldn’t see a grounding. Couldn’t verify it was over the line.

How can Poite definitively say that Sexton was in touch for the first try then?

He can't, but yet he can not award it anyway.

I agree with your point personally but you can't have a referee applying the rule once and then not applying it earlier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yellow for exeter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Thats cheating by Kvesic but penalty could easily have gone against Leinster for the scrum.

I think everything has been borderline. They easily could go the other way.

Poite was technically correct. But that was a try for all money.

The super rugby model is better: ref must give an old field decision and tmo is only to correct gross errors. Instead of the 2 Q model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

the demise of this forum p much directly correlates with the amount of middle aged dads here posting about how much they love rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Worrying for Leinster that we haven’t put any points on the board despite dominating the game so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Poite was technically correct. But that was a try for all money.

The super rugby model is better: ref must give an old field decision and tmo is only to correct gross errors. Instead of the 2 Q model.

This is the problem. He was technically correct and that is his job really. Would have been a case of getting the right decision with the wrong method if he awarded that try.

Pain in the ass though and very frustrating.

Faugheen wrote: »
    How can Poite definitively say that Sexton was in touch for the first try then?

He can't, but yet he can not award it anyway.

I agree with your point personally but you can't have a referee applying the rule once and then not applying it earlier.

He asked the TMO if Sexton was in touch and the TMO said he was.

Different question, different evidence required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What a scrum

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Great kick by Sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's an unreal crossfield

Great kick, smart to vary it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can’t believe I’m here defending a referee. We’ve come full circle folks.

You were positive about Ulster performance earlier too.

Nacewa possibly a smidge offside there?

Would like another score while they are down to 14.

Finally.

Exeter defense has been really solid.

Is Exeter really top of premiership? They are getting utterly dominated by Leinster.

Is Exeter really top of premiership? They are getting utterly dominated by Leinster.

Plenty of game yet to go.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He asked the TMO if Sexton was in touch and the TMO said he was.

Different question, different evidence required.

Poite needs to overrule him then, because there was no evidence that Sexton was clearly in touch. It was complete and utter guess work yet Poite picks and chooses when to overrule him.

Yes, they're normally far better than this.

I would be very wary of them coming back into this if they can get possession in the Leinster half, but Sexton and McGrath haven't let them near yet.

Finally.

Exeter defense has been really solid.

Pardon?

Faugheen wrote: »
    Poite needs to overrule him then, because there was no evidence that Sexton was clearly in touch. It was complete and utter guess work yet Poite picks and chooses when to overrule him.

The TMO is in a much better place to make that call than Poite.

When Poite was in a place to overrule the TMO, he did it. But the TMO with the technology available to him was probably right about Sexton.

Exeter forgot you’re supposed to chase those kicks there...

Absolute nonsense. It's the only thing that could have happened.

All this dominance and a 2 point lead.

• Advertisement

Absolute nonsense. It's the only thing that could have happened.

Wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We're not going to win here. You can't squander 25 minutes of utter dominance and a sin bin and expect to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

We're not going to win here. You can't squander 25 minutes of utter dominance and a sin bin and expect to win.

Why not? Why can't you dominate for 80 mins as the better team?

Have to agree. But I presume we’re playing up against a strong wind from Sextons conversion attempt?

Wrong

Not wrong. A cannier ref would've asked the open question. His appraisal of what was happening in front of him was bogus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement