Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Exeter v Leinster - KO 17:30 ~ 10/12/17 - BT Sport 2/BEin Sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

corny wrote: »
    Why not? Why can't you dominate for 80 mins as the better team?

Teams who don’t take their points when they’re on top don’t tend to win. Exeter will have a purple patch at some stage. 5-3 ahead after 28 mins with a YC is pretty poor return for so much ball/territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some brainless stuff here by Leinster, need to tighten up on the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

clsmooth wrote: »
    Teams who don’t take their points when they’re on top don’t tend to win. Exeter will have a purple patch at some stage. 5-3 ahead after 28 mins with a YC is pretty poor return for so much ball/territory

We'll see. FWIW Leinster will score again in the first half and pull away in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brilliant from McGrath

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The TMO is in a much better place to make that call than Poite.

When Poite was in a place to overrule the TMO, he did it. But the TMO with the technology available to him was probably right about Sexton

The TMO was 'probably' right about Toner too.

See my point now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Chop tackle. No arms surely.

Poite will probably award Exeter a try after that challenge.

Chop tackle. No arms surely.

Two of them

We'll see. FWIW Leinster will score again in the first half and pull away in the second.

I hope so too! Need to take our chances when we’re on top though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

How was that not a yellow also........!?!?

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »

See my point now?

No, you're still wrong.

Very lucky to stay on the field there. I can understanding that it's awkward, but that's no arms to the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

See my point now?

So you think tries should be awarded with literally none of the officials having seen a grounding? That will definitely go well.

No, you're still wrong.

Except I'm not, I'm afraid.

How can you say the TMO was probably right about the first try but not the other?

You can't, like with the TMO and Poite, it's all complete and utter guesswork.

Bazzo wrote: »
    So you think tries should be awarded with literally none of the officials having seen a grounding? That will definitely go well.

No, I'm saying the first try should have been awarded because there was no clear, definitive evidence that Sexton was in touch.

That wasn't given despite the above facts, but people are arguing that the TMO was 'probably' rather than 'definitely' right.

However, there was no evidence that the Toner try was grounded, but there is also a scope that the TMO's decision was 'probably' the right one.

Why can Poite overrule one on the basis of no evidence but not the other? That's my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Super defence there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fabulous defence!

Brilliant by Leinster! Some defense. Huge moment if they can clear their lines

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I cannot believe they didn’t go wide there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jesus that's incredible defending.

No way we should be be in this position but that's another story.

Could be a key moment there. Fardy was incredible in that sequence of phases.

Except I'm not, I'm afraid.

How can you say the TMO was probably right about the first try but not the other?

You can't, like with the TMO and Poite, it's all complete and utter guesswork.

They are 2 completely different situations.

1) Ref asks TMO to determine if a player is in touch. TMO uses the technology available to him (their hawk-eye technology which is not available to us) and decides he's in touch. Looked like he might have just about been in touch on telly, so I can't really see why he wouldn't be right there.

2) Ref asks TMO if it's a try. TMO says it was, Poite clarifies and asks if he saw a grounding (because he clearly couldn't have), TMO confirms he did not see a grounding. Answer is obvious after that.

It's not hugely difficult to see how they can be right in both situations. As much as we might wish they had gone the other way.

Jesus that was unreal.

Furlong is worth his weight in gold. He was absolutely huge there.

If Exeter continue to play as they have been this season we'll probably need 2 or 3 defensive sets like that, but what a feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Exeter is my new puke side: Nic white + pick n go. Argh just rubbish to watch. Well defended Leinster.

• Advertisement

They are 2 completely different situations.

1) Ref asks TMO to determine if a player is in touch. TMO uses the technology available to him (their hawk-eye technology which is not available to us) and decides he's in touch. Looked like he might have just about been in touch on telly, so I can't really see why he wouldn't be right there.

2) Ref asks TMO if it's a try. TMO says it was, Poite clarifies and asks if he saw a grounding (because he clearly couldn't have), TMO confirms he did not see a grounding. Answer is obvious after that.

It's not hugely difficult to see how they can be right in both situations. As much as we might wish they had gone the other way.

You're not wrong in terms of the interpretation of the laws and the decisions made by the ref which is all that matters. But, there were two situations there where the benefit of the doubt was given and where it wasn't and the net result was two disallowed tries that if I was betting as a neutral on what I saw I'd have said were both good.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Exeter is my new puke side: Nic white + pick n go. Argh just rubbish to watch. Well defended Leinster.

I have a feeling you haven't watched very much of Exeter

Brilliant 40 minutes of rugby! Delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus that was unreal.

Furlong is worth his weight in gold. He was absolutely huge there.

Does the world have that much gold?

That's Exeter... I think "effective" is by far the nicest way you could describe their rugby. They frequently and happily go through 20-30 phases, they're just incredibly good at holding on to possession.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling you haven't watched very much of Exeter

No I rarely watch the premiership, so you can give yourself a pat on the back. But Nic white has always been as slow as a tortoise. Seriously though they had no other intention than pick n go and they came away with nada.

Bazzo wrote: »
    That's Exeter... I think "effective" is by far the nicest way you could describe their rugby. They frequently and happily go through 20-30 phases, they're just incredibly good at holding on to possession.

Ah c'mon, some of their performances last season were great. Maybe I just appreciate that type of rugby more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What's with the 20 seconds of waiting before he takes a box kick? Infuriating to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fardy is a god damn animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm still unsure about texting phrases like "Massive D" to my father.....

Ah c'mon, some of their performances last season were great. Maybe I just appreciate that type of rugby more.

Probably a bit harsh, they are capable of cutting loose but every time I've watched them in a big game they have a tendency to keep it tight.

McGrath has been good. I lost track of what point that poster tried to make about him being too whatever but he’s looked sharp. Furlong, as usual, having a massive game.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm still unsure about texting phrases like "Massive D" to my father.....

Well if it makes you uncomfortable why don't you text him something about the rugby instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Flatman's jacket is absolutely disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think maybe you do, and are in the minority. Exeter's best advantage is the continuity of losing less players to test squads.

Most of the preview analysis ive listened to since wednesday , by the usual Irish pundits, damned them with the faint praise of comparing them to the simplistic approach of Munster under Gaffney/Kidney. Yes Munster did ok from that in the end, but it was draining for all concerned and is now antiquated.

• Advertisement

Leinster should be much further ahead and I'm a bit worried that we're only 5 ahead given all our early dominance.

On the plus side Exeter aren't getting much joy in attack. We've taken apart their scrum and maul on a number of occasion and held out their driving game. Not so sure we can sustain such pressure over and over though. Need to make a quick start to the 2nd half and put some points on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

No, it's not the wrong question. It's just inconvenient for Leinster fans that it was the one asked.
    The rules for rugby fans clearly say that the "any reason" question should only be asked when 1) a grounding has been observed or 2) when it's my team who are going to lose out.

Except both the English commentators AND the French TMO thought it was a sure try and said so clearly. So suggesting that its just blinkered Leinster fans being biased here is unfair. I have no doubt that it was a try. Exeter incredibly fortunate not to be at least 10-15 points further behind. That said, Leinster are very sloppy.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think maybe you do, and are in the minority. Exeter's best advantage is the continuity of losing less players to test squads.

Most of the preview analysis ive listened to since wednesday , by the usual Irish pundits, damned them with the faint praise of comparing them to the simplistic approach of Munster under Gaffney/Kidney. Yes Munster did ok from that in the end, but it was draining for all concerned and is now antiquated.

When I watch La Rochelle then follow it up with Exeter its night and day. In fairness to Exeter, Leinster are a better side than wasps.

tldr Leinster vs La Rochelle final please...

Bad feeling were about to get a hiding.

Bad feeling were about to get a hiding.

Just need McGrath and Sexton to keep the ball in the right areas and I don't see why we can't get ourselves a win here.

But it's going to be a massive 40 minutes for our defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Penalty try here

McFadden has been absolutely awful under those Leinster high balls. Why are they kicking to him? Why is he playing in this match?

Well that's fantastic

High tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Has to be a YC?

Advertisement