Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Exeter v Leinster - KO 17:30 ~ 10/12/17 - BT Sport 2/BEin Sport

Comments

awec wrote: »
    Tracey hasn’t thrown a straight line out all night.

Nah, he just misheard the instructions that time, McGrath told him to "throw it to Bent"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Synode wrote: »
    Ferg would have been away there

He had too much time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is it my eyes or is Sandy Park a very tight pitch? More space next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We out Exeter'd Exeter in their own backyard.

Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah thrilled with that! Roll on next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Score?

Savage result. Much more one sided than I thought, really worried at half time that Exeter's quality would shine through but it was all Leinster.

Should have been a Bonus Point to be honest.

That's as good a result as we've had in a pool stage in Europe. Absolutely thrilled. Wasn't glamorous but just ground down the best team in England, in their back yard.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Score?

8-18 :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lively result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Should have been by more in truth.

BP win next week should be doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Well done Leinster, deserving winners. Great weekend for the provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Exeter had said they wanted to test them selves against the best to see where they were......
    Guess they know now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The lads look knackered at the end of that and rightly so. Huge effort, big win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Very impressive. Thought BT commentary was alright for a change.
    Huge result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

Take that all day! Great win, tough match some sore bodies after that

corny wrote: »
    Should have been by more in truth.

BP win next week should be doable.

Don't mind the BP. 3-0 will do next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Forwards can take a bow. They can enjoy a quiet after the game. Not many packs if any are better than Leinsters in this comp. Only downside is Tracey he’s quite an average hooker.

Backs have some options that should improve the attack: Lowe, larmour, Byrne etc.

Leinster should go far this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Forwards can take a bow. They can enjoy a quiet after the game. Not many packs if any are better than Leinsters in this comp. Only downside is Tracey he’s quite an average hooker.

Backs have some options that should improve the attack: Lowe, larmour, Byrne etc.

Leinster should go far this season

I think it is very possible that Leinster have 3 fit wingers who are better than the 2 who started tonight going forward. But Exeter are the type of side where you'd want to put a lot of value on wingers who can contribute defensively, not sure any of them can. We shouldn't get complacent based on tonight, Exeter have turned over better teams than Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Good win in the end.

Having good quality depth in the props vital as Exeter have a good scrum.

Hopefully the game will be a bit looser next weekend.

Some wrecked bodies out there after that match. 6 day turnaround will be tough. Forwards were incredible. Glad we're at home next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Good win in the end.

Having good quality depth in the props vital as Exeter have a good scrum.

Hopefully the game will be a bit looser next weekend.

The looser game suited Exeter better. We need to stand on their throats and squeeze the life out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Good result but not a whole pile between the sides most of the match

Not sure how the Cronin yellow was not a penalty try, that would have made a huge difference to the result....

Talk of a bonus point next week is a little early to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought our subs made a very positive contribution with VdF and Jack McGrath being the picks of the bunch. I'd have zero qualms with Josh starting if Ruddock is out. But obviously I hope he's not too badly injured.

Who got MOTM?

Was Furlong for me followed by Fardy and Sean O'Brien. Sexton excellent and Luke McGrath overall impressive.

Ferg getting a lot of stick on here. Thought he had a good game, contested balls despite not winning many but put that pressure in which delivered later in the game in the form of knock on's. Saved us once and was the only back three taking ball on during those tight 5m encounters. He really isn't at all afraid mixing it up in the contact zone against forwards.

Conan grew into the game and Forwards all impressed. Centres also got better as time went on, Ringrose a bit quiet but still a good showing. Kearney was good throughout. JGP was good when he came on.

Hope Ruddock is ok, physios and therapists are going to be busy all week, lads worked as hard there as they would in a test.

We've a team there to challenge for the title this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Great result and performance, a win next week would all but put us through especially if we pick up a BP.
    They really want Furlong being called the bull to stick in BT.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Absolutely delighted with that win.

A grueling hard fought away win similar to certain days of old....

Ferg getting a lot of stick on here. Thought he had a good game, contested balls despite not winning many but put that pressure in which delivered later in the game in the form of knock on's. Saved us once and was the only back three taking ball on during those tight 5m encounters. He really isn't at all afraid mixing it up in the contact zone against forwards.

There were at least three, one in the first half and two in the second, where he overran the kick and put absolutely no pressure on the catcher. Didn't contest the ball, wasn't in position to tackle.

I think Furlong was MotM.

I think Ferg definitely got a lot better and finished the game strongly.

But he wasn't contesting high balls early on, that was my problem. Wasn't putting pressure on and it gave Exeter some easy starts a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Who got MOTM?

Furlong.

Fardy was class. Real no nonsense hard nosed operator. Also thought Toner had a cracking game

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Furlong.

Fardy was class. Real no nonsense hard nosed operator. Also thought Toner had a cracking game

Toner put in some really good carries in the build up to Conan's try. He takes some stick for that facet of his game but was making good ground in contact.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Furlong.

Yes, agreed. Would have loved Dev to get a try. And Jack McGrath was more like his old self. Conan had the best game I've seen from him in a while. Looking forward to next week.

McFadden had a good game, GPS was on the blink for a few kicks alright. Not sure about Furlong as MOTM, I'd have gone with Fardy or Toner. Kearney was excellent too.

The half backs were not great and Ringrose looked very much like a man short of gametime. Lots of room to improve.

Given Ruddock's history I'd be pretty sure we won't see him next week but Sexton going off is the real concern.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I also thought Kearney had a good game

McFadden had a good game, GPS was on the blink for a few kicks alright. Not sure about Furlong as MOTM, I'd have gone with Fardy or Toner. Kearney was excellent too.

The half backs were not great and Ringrose looked very much like a man short of gametime. Lots of room to improve.

Given Ruddock's history I'd be pretty sure we won't see him next week but Sexton going off is the real concern.

Was Sexton not just subbed with 10 mins to go as usual? He looked grand at the end.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Was Sexton not just subbed with 10 mins to go as usual? He looked grand at the end.

I thought he was

Arm.Wrestle.com

Fardy is exactly what we needed. He is exactly the player we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stheno wrote: »
    I thought he was

He got injured a while before he came off and isa kicked from then until Sexton came off. Almost as if they were minding Sexton. They subbed him when a try was scored. Almost as if to say job done now you can rest.

If I was Gareth Steenson (I'm not), I'd still be kicking that winger that showboated instead of giving me a tap over conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

I don't think people saying a TBP next week against Exeter should be doable realise how good a side they are. Comfortably the second best in England. Tonight's result was fantastic

• Advertisement

Is the fact we had two disallowed tries the only reason why Cronin didn't concede a penalty try at the same time as his YC?

vienne86 wrote: »

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but subbing a fit Sexton while a season-defining game is still in the balance isn't something we normally do.

Nacewa taking the kicks isn't something we normally see either.

Is the fact we had two disallowed tries the only reason why Cronin didn't concede a penalty try at the same time as his YC?

Without doubt IMO.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but subbing a fit Sexton while a season-defining game is still in the balance isn't something we normally do.

Hopefully they were just been ultra careful.

Furlong was coming across. I'd say it's unlikely he would have got there but his presence was likely the difference. Don't think Poite would give a ****e about the disallowed tries.

Sexton put in a Crossfield kick before the try. Once the try was scored he was taken off. Ten point lead so good decision

Furlong was coming across. I'd say it's unlikely he would have got there but his presence was likely the difference. Don't think Poite would give a ****e about the disallowed tries.

As much as I have all the time for Tadhg,
    himself vs Nowell is a No Contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I don’t think the fact the tackle was high prevented a try from being scored though.

Would a try probably have been scored if Cronin hadn’t gone too high? I’d say no because he’d likely still have made a successful tackle and sent Nowell (?) into touch regardless.

I don't think people saying a TBP next week against Exeter should be doable realise how good a side they are. Comfortably the second best in England. Tonight's result was fantastic

Two home wins with 1 BP will do.

• Advertisement

Kevski wrote: »
    I don’t think the fact the tackle was high prevented a try from being scored though.

Would a try probably have been scored if Cronin hadn’t gone too high? I’d say no because he’d likely still have made a successful tackle and sent Nowell (?) into touch regardless.

The way to consider the awarding is to remove the illegal player from the play. Consider what would happen if they were not there.

If Cronin was 'disappeared' Nowell scores a try there, 100% of the time imo.

The directive suggests we don't consider what Cronin could have done legally, we just remove him from the equation because he acted illegally.

Advertisement