Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Exeter v Leinster - KO 17:30 ~ 10/12/17 - BT Sport 2/BEin Sport

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DevonDionne123

Webbs wrote: »
    Closest situation I can think of was Liam Williams against SA a couple of summers ago. He had a no arms tackle when he could just as easily have gone with standard tackle and taken the player out of play. The decision was that foul play meant he wasnt considered so penalty try awarded.

However , the relevant rugby law is included in the section of points awarded (the recent change about penalty try being awarded 7pts immediately). Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.
    Way I see it its a bit vague and open to interpretation from the ref so maybe he did call it right?

That Liam's Williams incident was a clear no use of arms tackle/ no attempt at a fair tackle which in the referees eyes and TMO was cynical play which denied a scoring chance which is different to Cronins tackle
    Cronins tackle started on the shoulder and finished on the neck which in Poites mind wasn't cynical and that's why he it's wasn't a penalt try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I remember seeing this at the time thinking that was a terrible decision. There was far too many bodies and far too much going on to be able to say confidently that the try was on.

Penalty and yellow fine, but penalty try was baffling imo.
    Yeah, he obviously tackled early, but it didn't look as though he couldn't have tackled a split-second later when the player would have had the ball.

I've had a root through the laws, guidelines and clarifications and can only find this:
    A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

Nothing about removing the player from the equation, just the offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, he obviously tackled early, but it didn't look as though he couldn't have tackled a split-second later when the player would have had the ball.

I've had a root through the laws, guidelines and clarifications and can only find this:

Nothing about removing the player from the equation, just the offence.

If you find a video of the PT given against Liam Williams in the match vs South Africa the ref(Steve Walsh?) very clearly explains that the offending player is removed from the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    If you find a video of the PT given against Liam Williams in the match vs South Africa the ref(Steve Walsh?) very clearly explains that the offending player is removed from the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtYc-PPCCE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

.ak wrote: »
    Ferg was contender for MoTM, seemed a bit rusty on the kick chase but everything else was outstanding, he cleaned up ball all day and made good yards through hard defence. His covering for Rob pushing into the line was outstanding. Huge graft from a winger, as you'd expect from Ferg.

When the Leinster's supporters magazine comes out, it looks like you're another hoping Ferg will be the centrefold...

What I see as a winger doing his expected job, others seem to see as an absolutely amazing display.

What are Exeter fans saying about this? I imagine Furlong's name has been mentioned often, I'm not sure it would be the same story for Ferg. I imagine they are hoping their forwards can find a solution for this weekend, I doubt their fans forum is running wild with solutions to counter the Leinster back three.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    hoping Ferg will be the centrefold...

Eh... do you mind if I have that when you're finished with It, thanks?

MotM contender, what on earth.

Any of the 8 forwards would have been ahead for a start for the job they did on the Exeter pack.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Does that not automatically qualify that statement as bullcrap? :) :pac:

Edit: I hasten to add that it's not your statement, but the glorious hair's. ;)

Plus there isn't a snowball's that a legal tackle would have stopped a try.

Does that not automatically qualify that statement as bullcrap? :) :pac:

Edit: I hasten to add that it's not your statement, but the glorious hair's. ;)

Plus there isn't a snowball's that a legal tackle would have stopped a try.

If Steve Walsh was the only person to have said it, maybe

• Advertisement

Eh... do you mind if I have that when you're finished with It, thanks?

I guarantee the pages won't be stuck together...I'd be obliged if you'd return it in the same condition...

If Steve Walsh was the only person to have said it, maybe
    No, but regardless of who's said it, nobody's written it that I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Anyone wants a lesson in good grace in defeat should take a look at the exeter fan forum.

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s548.htm?1098,16171574

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

And Rob Baxters comments. Exeter is a mighty fine rugby club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone wants a lesson in good grace in defeat should take a look at the exeter fan forum.

Give them a few seasons at the top or close to the top and that sh*t will soon be gone :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

And they should also take a leaf out of Rob Baxters post match interview.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYHtv12tc0

I usually avoid all pre&post match tv/press interviews if possible (excl Joe and Davey Fitz!)

No BS. Fair play to Baxter. The more I watch of Exeter the more I like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

errlloyd wrote: »
    And Rob Baxters comments. Exeter is a mighty fine rugby club.

You beat me to it there. Refreshing to be able to praise a club these days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster twitter says its after Sextons try. Cracking photo

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/939927093990785025

I guarantee the pages won't be stuck together...

Ah never mind so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leinster twitter says its after Sextons try. Cracking photo

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/939927093990785025

Could be a good photoshop contender for him bending something in half and/or taking a bite out of it.

It could all be great fun and at least the Guinness tastes better in Dublin but it is even more expensive than Sandy Park.

I like this fan's philosophical approach :pac:

• Advertisement

Also:
    As usual, the Exeter Chiefs Supporters' Club will be hosting an informal Reception for visiting supporters from Leinster in the Wigwam before the game on Sunday.

We we will be gathering from 15.15 and will be serving curry to their supporters from about 15.30 ( if anyone is able to help us serve, that would be greatly appreciated).

We will make a Pennant presentation to their Supporters Club at about 1600.

Do come and give our visitors a noisy Chiefs Welcome.
    Did anyone get to sample the curry? :) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jack McGrath appears to be morphing into John Fogarty as he ages.

Buer wrote: »
    Jack McGrath appears to be morphing into John Fogarty as he ages.

I had to laugh, I passed John Fogarty on my bike about two weeks ago heading to work. He was cycling into UCD in fairly cold weather with fairly light gear on and he was eating an orange as he was cycling.

I was going to wish him luck for the double header but decided better not to distract him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I had to laugh, I passed John Fogarty on my bike about two weeks ago heading to work. He was cycling into UCD in fairly cold weather with fairly light gear on and he was eating an orange as he was cycling.

I was going to wish him luck for the double header but decided better not to distract him.

Given how the weekend went, orange you glad you didn't?

Shut up Buer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah lads, this is killing me. Their coach is thoughtful and dignified? Their fans are cheerful, curry-purveying people of the pint?

<goes off to watch Eddie Jones videos to recover>

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ah lads, this is killing me. Their coach is thoughtful and dignified? Their fans are cheerful, curry-purveying people of the pint?

<goes off to watch Eddie Jones videos to recover>
    You do know that Eddie Jones is an Aussie? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

You do know that Eddie Jones is an Aussie? :pac:

Pfft, next you'll be telling us Warren Gatland isn't Welsh!

.ak wrote: »
    Pfft, next you'll be telling us Warren Gatland isn't Welsh!
    He's probably more of a Wiwi at this stage. :D

Watching some highlights back, Conan did so well for his try. Hit by two defenders 2 yards short of the line and drives over.

• Advertisement

He's probably more of a Wiwi at this stage. :D

Now you're taking the piss :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Now you're taking the piss :pac:

I thought you used that user name before you became a swiss kiwi

I would just like it noted before this thread drifts down to the sedimentary layer of this forum that despite having little time available and nobody else volunteering, I took it upon myself to create this match thread with the appropriate table (something that seems to have eluded others in recent times). Despite all that, I see that only one poster thanked me for my effort. :(

Thank you Venjur, your support is deeply appreciated. The rest of you can go feck off if you expect me (or anyone) to do likewise in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I would just like it noted before this thread drifts down to the sedimentary layer of this forum that despite having little time available and nobody else volunteering, I took it upon myself to create this match thread with the appropriate table (something that seems to have eluded others in recent times). Despite all that, I see that only one poster thanked me for my effort. :(

Thank you Venjur, your support is deeply appreciated. The rest of you can go feck off if you expect me (or anyone) to do likewise in the future.

The crests were on different rows. I just couldn't

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, it's broken on the touch site. 2/10.

Synode wrote: »
    The crests were on different rows. I just couldn't
    Peregrine wrote: »
    Yeah, it's broken on the touch site. 2/10.
    I can take criticism y'know. It means you noticed. ;)

Technically it was because I set a fixed table width to make it look less cramped. The law of unintended consequences... :(

I can take criticism y'know. It means you noticed. ;)

Technically it was because I set a fixed table width to make it look less cramped. The law of unintended consequences... :(

You're up to 4 now, but never forget who your real friends are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I would have thanked you but I hate prawns.

I would have thanked you but I hate prawns.
    I didn't like 2006, but that never stopped me from thanking you. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I didn't like 2006, but that never stopped me from thanking you. :pac:

Next time I'll keep quiet.

Most of the forum would never thank me again because of "thomond". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Here's Baxter and Whitten post-match interviews.

Both very reasonable, likeable guys.

Trojan wrote: »

That was surreal. I was like that lad sounds more Irish than English...and it turns there is a good reason...

“If you’re questioning the ref, you probably weren’t good enough". New forum motto please, I nominate awec to do the deed...

That was surreal. I was like that lad sounds more Irish than English...and it turns there is a good reason...

“If you’re questioning the ref, you probably weren’t good enough". New forum motto please, I nominate awec to do the deed...

Yeah a fantastic quote.

Love the frankness. Very easy to like almost everything to do with Exeter rugby tbh.

The best thing about that quote is because it was from the guy who's team lost.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah a fantastic quote.

Love the frankness. Very easy to like almost everything to do with Exeter rugby tbh.

Except maybe the actual rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Trojan wrote: »

I was a student with and played with Ian's dad. He was a fine player who was an uncompromising back rower who was certainly a popular Ulster selection back in the amateur days. He was also one of the nicest guys around and Ian sounds just like him. Ian's brother Alan was also an Ulster but sadly developed leukaemia and could no longer continue playing at the elite level.

Advertisement