Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question on cable

Options
  • 10-12-2017 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the mundane question.
    I'm hoping to add some surface mounted sockets in my garage and finally get a striplight wired up. Already a fuseboard, electric roller door and couple of sockets there. I'm hoping to buy a roll of cable to have ready for sparky and use after for extension leads etc.
    Fairly certain I need flexible, and most probably 3 core?
    Problem is thickness. Didn't know so many existed! Can I get some recommendation from the following link?
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/elechttps://www.ie.screwfix.com/electrical-lighting/cable-cable-management/cable
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dos29 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to buy a roll of cable to have ready for sparky and use after for extension leads etc.

The cable for sockets is generally different than that used for extension leads.
    Your electrician will be able to buy suitable cable for far less than you can.
    This is not just because of economy of scale, but he will also know what is best suited for your particular installation.
    This would be assessed on a case by case basis.

There are many ways that surface sockets can be wired from using steel conduit to clipping NYMJ so it is hard to answer your question.
    What do you have in mind?
    Fairly certain I need flexible, and most probably 3 core?
    Problem is thickness.

1.5 mm sq. is often used for extension leads, sometimes 2.5 mm sq. for 110V power tools on longer runs. Electrical contractors tend to have extension leads already, you would be better off letting your electrician guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can as mentioned above use conduit, plastic trunking, metal tray etc.

All depends what type of finish you want.

Many types of conduit.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

To be honest, I'm planning on not using conduit, just Thorsman clips. I've already built in a work bench on one side and the other wall is lined with shelving, water tank etc so no real need for protection.
    The extension leads aspect is just for any random ones I might need to make up in the future, like ones for Xmas lights I've already made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You'll need 3x2.5sq to loop the sockets.

NYMJ will work for the sockets but it's not suitable for making extension leads. It's solid and only meant for fixed installations. You'll need flex for that.

Do let us know how you get on with wiring xmas lights in 2.5 :D

Advertisement