Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dermot Bannon's New York Homes

• 10-12-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

Anybody watching? So we fly DB first class to NY & now he's fawning over an apartment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I kinda love his childlike enthusiasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Depressed watching it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Too many slow motion shots of him walking around New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

That apartment was unreal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

No messing with that NJ man!!

• Advertisement

So this guy built a huge shed outside a real house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It is RTE approaching American Architecture, so that Dermot can comment on theirs.

I do not dislike the guy, and i am aware that he is a qualified architect.

I just do not believe that he is qualified to comment on anybody else's.

IMO, Dermot Bannon is a Terrible Architect. For my life, i am very qualified to make that statement.

I will not elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

He reminds me of Tubridy and Alan Patridge.
    Uncouth, no refinement about him at all.
    Is he related to Tubridy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really enjoyable show, love New York anyway, only there a month ago, didn't stay in any of the houses he was in though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is the mezzanine put in yet or was it just the massive glass doors out the the balcony put on it this week?!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The buzzer when he Eventually got a basket scared the shíte out of him.
    I liked the idea of having a big kitchen and then another bigger one for the caterer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

He reminds me of Tubridy and Alan Patridge.
    Uncouth, no refinement about him at all.
    Is he related to Tubridy?

I always wondered that too,has a look of a brother from another mother about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ah poor ould Dermo, like a big mad puppy bouncing around the place. I think RTE puts on these things just to drive us all mad.

All going well for him and RTE, this is just his first foray in to America. He is planning on making a series with his brother, doing a road trip from one end of America to the other commenting on Architecture along the way.

Think of a billion BBC shows that started (i think) with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman and have been done to death now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Suckit wrote: »
    All going well for him and RTE, this is just his first foray in to America. He is planning on making a series with his brother, doing a road trip from one end of America to the other commenting on Architecture along the way.

Think of a billion BBC shows that started (i think) with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman and have been done to death now.

Will we be paying for this through our mandatory license fee?

Will we be paying for this through our mandatory license fee?

No, i think we will all decide that the show is worth whatever the fee for making it is, and their wages.
    We will probably all decide to donate €215 each :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

With the homeless situation in this country at present and the need for practical affordable housing I think last nights programme made a mockery of us.Bannon was OTT in his salivation over properties that were off the scale for most if not all of us.Give me a nice sea view over a concrete jungle any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Suckit wrote: »

Have you inside knowledge? Who is he related to in there?

Have you inside knowledge? Who is he related to in there?

biggrin.png
    No inside knowledge. He is not related to anybody in there though. But has always wanted to be in TV, so Architecture was pretty much 2nd fiddle. No matter what he studied, he would have used it as a tool to get on TV, which imo would probably make the original career suffer a little.
    Have a look on the archiseek forums, any time his name is mentioned, it is followed by a shiver or a shudder.
    I personally find his designs very boring, not always practical and never really stray from the same beaten track.
    There was an idea submitted to TV3 a year or so ago, that a group of Architects work on each house, and winner is picked. Allowing for a lot more variation and giving them artistic licence to do almost anything. I thought the idea was a brilliant one. I do not know why it never went any further, i am guessing the cost must have been too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

downwesht wrote: »
    With the homeless situation in this country at present and the need for practical affordable housing I think last nights programme made a mockery of us.Bannon was OTT in his salivation over properties that were off the scale for most if not all of us.Give me a nice sea view over a concrete jungle any day.

The only thing OTT is your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I found it enjoyable. Something a bit different to watch on RTE. Makes a change from his same-y houses he does on each episode of RTI. Loved the shots of him standing on the street of NYC gawping up at the buildings, we were like that years ago when we were lucky enough to visit NYC. Cringed at him joining in with some parade - what's that got to do with the show?!
    Really didn't like the house with the hangar built around it - I couldn't make head nor tail of that. The rooms very all over the place - there's a house, there's 9 box rooms, there's spaces within the hangar - there was no flow or logic to it.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I found it enjoyable. Something a bit different to watch on RTE. Makes a change from his same-y houses he does on each episode of RTI. Loved the shots of him standing on the street of NYC gawping up at the buildings, we were like that years ago when we were lucky enough to visit NYC. Cringed at him joining in with some parade - what's that got to do with the show?!
    Really didn't like the house with the hangar built around it - I couldn't make head nor tail of that. The rooms very all over the place - there's a house, there's 9 box rooms, there's spaces within the hangar - there was no flow or logic to it.

Could you imagine it in the rain, the level of noise it would create!

• Really enjoyed this...pure escapism for an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

The house in the Hamptons was magnificent! The fact he was blabbing on about it having no architectural merit etc confirmed my thoughts on him that he designs showpieces rather than homes.

Enjoyed the show though, great tele!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Loving tonights programme. The Laguna house was magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's a great but people still complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

That was awkward!!!

"I don't want to be a sales person"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I loved both of these programs, you would forget you it was winter watching it tonight, sunny California and the amazing homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Loving tonights programme. The Laguna house was magnificent.

I remember watching the tv show of the same name in Laguna as yer wan's dad was an architect & the views outta that house something else.

Would you say the tulip created a tulip wall, although the wife was 'heart-broken' to find that out :D

Jees, that talk went on for a long time at the Joshua Tree house, last count 7hrs, Dermot certainly had to talk him around in seeing the house :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That was awkward!!!

"I don't want to be a sales person"

I think he just wanted Dermot to ask the questions and he'd answer them while touring the house.

It came as a surprize to me at the end when we learned it was rented out as Air B&B and not the Architect's own home.

The house in the desert was surreal, I was half expecting Walter and Jesse to appear in their meth-making gear.
    Loved the one over-looking the sea..........sigh......

(But as my Mam would have said "But are they HAPPY????":D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

mollser wrote: »
    The house in the Hamptons was magnificent! The fact he was blabbing on about it having no architectural merit etc confirmed my thoughts on him that he designs showpieces rather than homes.

Enjoyed the show though, great tele!
    Didn’t like Hampton’s house-loved apartment

800sq foot bathroom..... our first house was just over 850sq ft !!

inthehat wrote: »

(But as my Mam would have said "But are they HAPPY????":D)

....or 'It's a showhouse not a home'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

House with sea views and healthy yoga lady house fab-400k wow!!! Awkward when Dermot lay on bed and said trading in for a younger model! He is very likeable but I thought he was harsh on non architect designed owners house.

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    Awkward when Dermot lay on bed and said trading in for a younger model!

That was an odd thing for him to say and then the camera panned to the 51 year old husband who we were told was one of the fittest men in the world for his age. Strange.

Should add we'd say something like that here for the crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

honeybear wrote: »
    House with sea views and healthy yoga lady house fab-400k wow!!! Awkward when Dermot lay on bed and said trading in for a younger model! He is very likeable but I thought he was harsh on non architect designed owners house.

That bit was ridiculous. The house wasn't to my taste, with a host of quirky features it still somehow looked bland, but it was undoubtedly unique and 'brave' as Kevin McLeod would say. Dermot even admitted that he picked it out off the internet and was dying to see it until.... quelle horreur... he heard it wasn't designed by an architect.

To show us how much the guy missed the services of an architect Dermot showed us outside light fittings that were a different colour to the walls and a visible aircon grille which an architect would have hidden apparently. Wow! And in the first episode he showed us the innovative architectural feature of a shed built over a house? Right......

It just proves something my wife always said about Dermot's main show..... it's not his house, if the owners want a pink kitchen, that's their choice and their taste and everybody's drifferent.

• Loved last nights, the Laguna beach one was just unreal, said it last week but this is just perfect escapism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone watch his episode last night in Canada?

Found it boring enough to be honest, they were a bit OTT using The Leftovers soundtrack as well, somewhat over dramatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

Sick of Bannon on Sunday nights & these types of programmes have been done to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Yep, found it boring too. Same old, same old

Not sure why the one with the lake view had a bad mixture of window widths, keepctgem the same, as wide as possible all the way across. Really took away from the view. Liked the downstairs 'poker' / whiskey room though.
    The most fantastic house in the world - the one with the piano - was njce but I was expecting more the way he was salivating. The pool with sliding windows was seriously nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not sure why the one with the lake view had a bad mixture of window widths, keepctgem the same, as wide as possible all the way across. Really took away from the view. Liked the downstairs 'poker' / whiskey room though.
    The most fantastic house in the world - the one with the piano - was njce but I was expecting more the way he was salivating. The pool with sliding windows was seriously nice though.

No idea how it cost 50 million dollars. For a small enough space as well and was sold then for half the price. Something must have gone wrong during the build for it to be that expensive

For 50 million I'd expect a mansion with huge garden, swimming pool, beach house, tennis court etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Icsics wrote: »
    Sick of Bannon on Sunday nights & these types of programmes have been done to death.

As if we didn't have enough property masturbation shows.

Advertisement