Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic solutions to Child care

Options
  • 11-12-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

What are parents views on this and the fairness of the situation.

In one areas a child could be going to a school with a breakfast club, after school club and homework club all available till 4pm for a small amount of money say 5euro often run by a community employment groups or other not for profit groups in other areas there is noting or in another its provided by a for profit child care organisation and it cost a lot more than 5euro.

I know were SNA have set up before and after school clubs and the parents pay a sort of in between solution, and another services where teachers provide supervision and home work is done for an hour after school the parents pay for this the children play for few min before doing the homework.

It doesn't seem fair that there is nothing in one school yet in there cousins school it all provided for a 5euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Your problem is the school patronage system. Every school is a private entity and decides how to operate. There's little central planning for these types of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

lazygal wrote: »
    Your problem is the school patronage system. Every school is a private entity and decides how to operate. There's little central planning for these types of services.

That my point it should not be an accident the type of child care solutions available.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds more like deis school Vs a normal school without any extra funding for breakfast and after school programs ,
    Wouldn't expect a teacher to do extra hours week with only €5 been charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That my point it should not be an accident the type of child care solutions available.

Yes, that's how it works here. Every school has it's own board and makes those decisions. Schools have a level of autonomy there. 

You can get involved and influence that. I joined the parent's association when my child was in Junior infants to do exactly that. You can also become a parent's representative on the board. 
    Lobby for and arrange drop-off and collection times with the school for working parents. We sorted it in a few months with the good will of the board and school etc. No direct cost to the parents in our case, we fundraise for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As with many things in Ireland, it should be centrally provided, not by individual groups and schools filling gaps here and there, and allowing central figures to wash their hands of the problem.I would be all for it myself, and would be interested in getting involved in sorting it for us locally too, but is it right that we should have to do that?No.It's not.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Sounds more like deis school Vs a normal school without any extra funding for breakfast and after school programs ,
    Wouldn't expect a teacher to do extra hours week with only €5 been charged

Its not a deis school where they have the breakfast club and after school club its just a good local community both small enough and big enough for people to get involves. It goes with out saying teacher should not be expected to do it with out payment nor even expected too, I am sure its a handy number for the teaches who do this and again the children coming home with homework done all the parent has to do is reading and spellings. It just so random which it should not be.

By the way my children are grown up, im more interested in how the state relies on all sorts of organic solutions and is diverging its self from a lot of services in favour of privatisation or not for profits groups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you look at healthcare, it is a similar set up.Probably due to the legacy of the church doing these services for the state, rather than the state taking on full responsibility.

I think people's community involvement and volunteering is great, but a bit of me can see that it also takes the focus away from the politicians and state departments who should be responsible for providing the services and who should be put under more pressure to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mariaalice wrote: »
    By the way my children are grown up, im more interested in how the state relies on all sorts of organic solutions and is diverging its self from a lot of services in favour of privatisation or not for profits groups.

The state never provided any kind of after school services so it's just as it has always been. They should have addressed it if course given the drastic increase in families with two working parents since the 80s

mordeith wrote: »
    The state never provided any kind of after school services so it's just as it has always been. They should have addressed it if course given the drastic increase in families with two working parents since the 80s

I know they didn't its more about the general point of different services in different areas all because of a choice to rely on the organic development of solutions and saying organisations can apply for grants fund raise etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement