Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation of Eir service - told I'll be charged.

Options
  • 11-12-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My Eir contract expires on January 12th so I just rang Eir to give my 30 days notice. The service rep told me that if I cancel today, my service will be stopped from today and I'll still pay up to Jan 12th. I explained that I am giving notice of cancellation, not actually cancelling today. They said I'm still in contract if I cancel today. They just didn't get it.
    I then asked how I cancel and was told I'll have to wait till January 12th and then cancel, at which  point I need to give 30 days notice (i.e pay for 19 months) !

So I asked how do I cancel an 18 month contract and only pay for 18 months (but still get 18 months service) and was told I can't.

Surely this is wrong ??

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was none available. Eventually she said "hang on and I'll check" and I was left on hold for 5 minutes and then the call was disconnected.

Can you please clarify how I can cancel my contract on it's termination date, i.e the 12th January, and still get my service until that date ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi,
    My Eir contract expires on January 12th so I just rang Eir to give my 30 days notice. The service rep told me that if I cancel today, my service will be stopped from today and I'll still pay up to Jan 12th. I explained that I am giving notice of cancellation, not actually cancelling today. They said I'm still in contract if I cancel today. They just didn't get it.
    I then asked how I cancel and was told I'll have to wait till January 12th and then cancel, at which  point I need to give 30 days notice (i.e pay for 19 months) !

So I asked how do I cancel an 18 month contract and only pay for 18 months (but still get 18 months service) and was told I can't.

Surely this is wrong ??

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was none available. Eventually she said "hang on and I'll check" and I was left on hold for 5 minutes and then the call was disconnected.

Can you please clarify how I can cancel my contract on it's termination date, i.e the 12th January, and still get my service until that date ??
    port your service over to new provider and arrange for the day to do it. then cancel your direct debit and pay your final issued bill. you cannot be charged beyond your last day if you port out. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

pmce4 wrote: »
    Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

port your service over to new provider and arrange for the day to do it. then cancel your direct debit and pay your final issued bill. you cannot be charged beyond your last day if you port out. 
    Seems nuts though - surely I can give the 30 days now for cancellation on the date of contract expiration ?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Following as I'll be doing exactly the same thing next month. My contract is up in Feb so I'll be cancelling it with 30 days notice in January.
    I don't want any outage time between the two days and want to start with a new provider from the last day of the 18 month contract.
    It sounds perfectly sensible, why can't Eir do that?

Sesame wrote: »
    Following as I'll be doing exactly the same thing next month. My contract is up in Feb so I'll be cancelling it with 30 days notice in January.
    I don't want any outage time between the two days and want to start with a new provider from the last day of the 18 month contract.
    It sounds perfectly sensible, why can't Eir do that?
    I'm guessing (hoping) that the Eir agent I spoke to was wrong - waiting for comment by one of the Eir reps here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Maybe instead of scaring them off with the C word, tell them you wish to switch to prepaid at the end of the 18 months.

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »
    Maybe instead of scaring them off with the C word, tell them you wish to switch to prepaid at the end of the 18 months.
    Why would I bother with that ? I'm basically being told (at this point) that it's impossible to get full service on an 18 month contract without paying for 19 months - I'm looking for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

JoyPad wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly the eir team are not rushing to explain this.  

My overall experience or trying to switch, and then leave when they furstrated switching is that it is an inept strategy to force loyalty.  Took months to achieve, but I did espcape in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I can confirm this information is incorrect, you can contact the customer care team on 1901 and they will process a 30 day cancellation for you. It will then close down on the 12th of January. 

I'll be sure to pass this feedback on as this is not the level of service we wish to provide. 

Apologies for the wrong information being given to you, I understand your frustrations here. 

Thanks

Tracey 

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

I can confirm this information is incorrect, you can contact the customer care team on 1901 and they will process a 30 day cancellation for you. It will then close down on the 12th of January. 

I'll be sure to pass this feedback on as this is not the level of service we wish to provide. 

Apologies for the wrong information being given to you, I understand your frustrations here. 

Thanks

Tracey 
    I tried ringing again yesterday, and got the same person and she tried to tell me the same again.

I then mentioned the terms online and I used the term "Switching" and then she said - switching is different to cancelling - I asked  how it was different in that I was still cancelling my service with Eir and she could not give me a reasonable answer. I ended up asking her name so as to make sure I never spoke to her again. :( 

Unreal.

Anyhow - I used your online form here https://www.eir.ie/switchingForm.jsp

This should be enough right ?

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 
    I tried ringing again yesterday, and got the same person and she tried to tell me the same again.

I then mentioned the terms online and I used the term "Switching" and then she said - switching is different to cancelling - I asked  how it was different in that I was still cancelling my service with Eir and she could not give me a reasonable answer. I ended up asking her name so as to make sure I never spoke to her again. :( 

Unreal.

You would think so, but the "Loyalty team" can blantantly deny all knowledge of your online form, and make you start your 30 days again.  In the course of my many phones calls later in the drawn out process, Loyalty were able to tell me the date I did the submitted initial online form - accidental or incompetent, judge for yourself!

• Advertisement

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Unreal.

You would think so, but the "Loyalty team" can blantantly deny all knowledge of your online form, and make you start your 30 days again.  In the course of my many phones calls later in the drawn out process, Loyalty were able to tell me the date I did the submitted initial online form - accidental or incompetent, judge for yourself!
    Well, I supposedly get a postal response within 5 days confirming the notice - so we'll see.

I'd still like a rep to answer whether or not this online form submission is sufficient ? After to talking to the girl on the Customer Care team wtice who gave me completely incorrect information I'm hoping this might be slightly better....

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Unreal.

Well, I supposedly get a postal response within 5 days confirming the notice - so we'll see.

I'd still like a rep to answer whether or not this online form submission is sufficient ? After to talking to the girl on the Customer Care team wtice who gave me completely incorrect information I'm hoping this might be slightly better....
    Also - I don't see why I can't PM my details to an Eir rep here and have them do the notice for me - and I've have a record of it then.
    Is this not possible ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Unreal.

Also - I don't see why I can't PM my details to an Eir rep here and have them do the notice for me - and I've have a record of it then.
    Is this not possible ?
    Hi,

I'm afraid it isn't possible to give your notice through this channel. You have to give us a ring to do this.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Here is a very good reason not to sign with eir!

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Unreal.

Is this not possible ?
    Hi,

I'm afraid it isn't possible to give your notice through this channel. You have to give us a ring to do this.

- Adam
    What is eir's suggestion if the notice is not received after the 5 days - why have an online form if it eir don't act on it?

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Unreal.

Is this not possible ?
    Hi,

- Adam
    What is eir's suggestion if the notice is not received after the 5 days - why have an online form if it eir don't act on it?
    I think he's saying the can't do it through boards.ie - although I never got an answer about the online form.....

Hi,

Surely this is wrong ??

Hi deadlock, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Unreal.

Is this not possible ?
    Hi,

- Adam
    I think he's saying the can't do it through boards.ie - although I never got an answer about the online form.....
    Yes I understand that, my experience of cancelling online was that it didn't come, and the loyalty team lied to me about it ever happening, so I had to start all over.  

Can an Eir service rep please verify if this is ok to use to give notice:

https://www.eir.ie/switchingForm.jsp

I used it 6 days ago and how not received any confirmation in the mail

Can an Eir service rep please verify if this is ok to use to give notice:

https://www.eir.ie/switchingForm.jsp

I used it 6 days ago and how not received any confirmation in the mail
    So - no reply here from an Eir rep and no sign of confirmation in the main :mad:

Unbelievable yet expected

Advertisement