Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waited months, work not done when said, no communication, no update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Another long shot - just remembered a problem with certain landline numbers, that contributed to my own Eircom fiasco.  It was some time ago, but just in case it’s relevant it was explained to me in the 3rd post down this forum page https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467329&page=1 .

I think your story’s the kind that some reporters/journalists/broadcasters/TDs thrive on, and if you don’t get resolution soon, a little publicity could be worth a try (particularly when heads need knocking together - the answer must be in *somebody’s* contract!).   I’m sure you have enough on your plate, but I’ve found that just one letter/email/phone call can sometimes be all it takes to start a snowball effect, even if it doesn’t get published.  (You never know who might want to pick.up on it and run with it).  Especially when people need their heads knocking together!

I noticed an example re eir recently in the consumer forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057848677

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Another long shot - just remembered a problem with certain landline numbers, that contributed to my own Eircom fiasco.  It was some time ago, but just in case it’s relevant it was explained to me in the 3rd post down this forum page https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467329&page=1 .

I think your story’s the kind that some reporters/journalists/broadcasters/TDs thrive on, and if you don’t get resolution soon, a little publicity could be worth a try (particularly when heads need knocking together - the answer must be in *somebody’s* contract!).   I’m sure you have enough on your plate, but I’ve found that just one letter/email/phone call can sometimes be all it takes to start a snowball effect, even if it doesn’t get published.  (You never know who might want to pick.up on it and run with it).  Especially when people need their heads knocking together!

I noticed an example re eir recently in the consumer forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057848677
    That Irish Times article... absolutely shocking. That poor woman. I would have cancelled my DD immediately. I do feel somewhat some of her pain though: being told ten different things, and none of them true. Anyway, I'd like to keep this thread clean so Eir can reply. We can discuss after this gets resolved. If we're both still alive... ;)

Eir: any chance of a reply on this today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

rat_race wrote: »
    Hi Tony / Tracey: would you have an update on this, and an answer to some of my questions? Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Cormac
    Hi Cormac, 

I'm afraid we don't, I've contacted the networks team again for an update. As soon as I hear back I'll come back to you. 

Apologies for the delays

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi Tony / Tracey: would you have an update on this, and an answer to some of my questions? Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Cormac
    Hi Cormac, 

I'm afraid we don't, I've contacted the networks team again for an update. As soon as I hear back I'll come back to you. 

Apologies for the delays

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey: as mentioned already, there is again, another installation date set for this Friday, the 16th, and tomorrow is the 15th, and there is still no update. 

Again, I guarantee you this will installation will fail once again, with myself losing a day's pay due to being required to be at home (including lots of other repercussions).

Can you tell me how Eir will compensate me for this when there is yet another failed installation on Friday? All I am asking for is some common sense, now: confirm there is no point sending an engineer out on Friday, and cancel the appointment because of this, and give me a realistic answer on what is going on with Wholesale and their consistent mistakes, a guarantee they understand it now, and an ETA for actual broadband installation.

I fail to see how obtaining this information can take weeks.

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    Cormac
    Hi Cormac, 

Apologies for the delays

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey: as mentioned already, there is again, another installation date set for this Friday, the 16th, and tomorrow is the 15th, and there is still no update. 

Again, I guarantee you this will installation will fail once again, with myself losing a day's pay due to being required to be at home (including lots of other repercussions).

Can you tell me how Eir will compensate me for this when there is yet another failed installation on Friday? All I am asking for is some common sense, now: confirm there is no point sending an engineer out on Friday, and cancel the appointment because of this, and give me a realistic answer on what is going on with Wholesale and their consistent mistakes, a guarantee they understand it now, and an ETA for actual broadband installation.

I fail to see how obtaining this information can take weeks.
    This just gets better. I get a call today from the most helpful rep ever (not being sarcastic -- been in touch before), assuring me full fibre to the home is available, and handing me over to the loyalty team, who assures me this is the best way to go, and they will give me a good price over all the crap, and that my other order was going to go around in circles forever (probably just because that's what I said). She cancelled my existing (eFibre, i.e., copper to the home) order before I even confirmed, which has been in place since September 2017. I did say "are you 100% sure Fibre To The Home is available, as I do not want to lose the history of this order". I was assured several times: "yes, 100%".

I was also told they won't lay copper wires in new estates, because it should all be FTTH only. Eh? Then why not say that 7 months ago? Or when I told you there were no copper cables about fifty times (and you said there is...)? Or even suggest FTTH? Why is there no training? Why is someone here talking about a new "Eir plant"...?

Anwyay, then I was put through to sales, who said their system is saying there is no FTTH in my area and they cannot place the order, but when there is, I'll get a leaflet, basically. (I already got a leaflet several months ago ;)). No dates, nothing.

And this is the short version; lots of inaccuracies and inconsistencies were relayed, again.

So now I have no order in place, no dates, no forecast.

I really don't know what to say. This is absolutely, amazingly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Either this is a common occurrence or we live in the same new housing estate in Wicklow ( i am going to say its a common occurrence)

I've been having the same nightmare its been ongoing since Dec 2016, farcical really. 

Update: a couple of days ago, I told the rep that there is an inactive Fibre cable in the estate (which can only be used for Fibre To The Home). Ever since then, the reps have jumped on the theory that "oh, it's a Fibre To The Home only estate, and we assure you it's active. Normal phone lines are not going to be available.", etc. Amazing that this information has only come to light after my revelation about an inactive cable.

Well, firstly, it isn't "live". Secondly, unfortunately, I cannot trust anything Eir tells me, because everything so far proven to be wholly inaccurate hearsay nonsense (just read this thread).

Now my questions, which, again, I would very much like a response to:

- Where did this "fibre only estate" information actually come from; bar a note left on my account. Because it really seems like another example of poor guesswork, all based on the comment I made (not based on verified facts or any verification on your side -- I'm sick to the back teeth of inaccurate BS)
    - How will other providers (Sky, Vodafone, etc.), who cannot use Eir's FTTH infrastructure, provide broadband to their customers, if there are no copper cables (normal phone lines from the cabinet)?
    - Is this not illegal and a breach of regulation?
    - When will the Fibre cable be active?
    - Why should people, such as myself, pay FTTH prices, just because "oh, it's a FTTH estate only" (there's a freaking cabinet 20 metres away from my front door).
    - Who and what decides that an estate is "FTTH only", and what criteria is it based on?

Eir, I would appreciate if you address each of these individually, so each actually gets answered (as opposed to just some apology plus half answering one or two of them). I would also appreciate a prompt reply, as, again, Eir has cost me untold time and stress with this ridiculousness. Another non-helpful "oh, we'll get back to you" reply isn't going to help. I'd like some answers. Go off script.

Thank you.

Update: a couple of days ago, I told the rep that there is an inactive Fibre cable in the estate (which can only be used for Fibre To The Home). Ever since then, the reps have jumped on the theory that "oh, it's a Fibre To The Home only estate, and we assure you it's active. Normal phone lines are not going to be available.", etc. Amazing that this information has only come to light after my revelation about an inactive cable.

Well, firstly, it isn't "live". Secondly, unfortunately, I cannot trust anything Eir tells me, because everything so far proven to be wholly inaccurate hearsay nonsense (just read this thread).

- Where did this "fibre only estate" information actually come from; bar a note left on my account. Because it really seems like another example of poor guesswork, all based on the comment I made (not based on verified facts or any verification on your side -- I'm sick to the back teeth of inaccurate BS)
    - How will other providers (Sky, Vodafone, etc.), who cannot use Eir's FTTH infrastructure, provide broadband to their customers, if there are no copper cables (normal phone lines from the cabinet)?
    - Why should people, such as myself, pay FTTH prices, just because "oh, it's a FTTH estate only" (there's a freaking cabinet 20 metres away from my front door).
    - Who and what decides that an estate is "FTTH only", and what criteria is it based on?

Eir, I would appreciate if you address each of these individually, so each actually gets answered (as opposed to just some apology plus half answering one or two of them). I would also appreciate a prompt reply, as, again, Eir has cost me untold time and stress with this ridiculousness. Another non-helpful "oh, we'll get back to you" reply isn't going to help. I'd like some answers. Go off script.

Thank you.

This absolutely must be my estate  Its an onmishambles of the highest order .

Don't even think for a second you will get anything other than the party line from company representatives  

I do like the questioning of why your house is different to omega less than a few metres away  

It's a money making monopoly they are building  

Maybe worth a posting a link to this thread in the Broadband forum?  There’s a lot of infrastructure and other expertise there, and they’re very helpful.  If anyone’s able to shed any light on your situation I think it would be there.  (At the very least, the descriptions of some organisations can make an entertaining break!).  https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

It’a bit fiddly finding the Ireland Offline forum in the Boards lists, so I thought that link could also be useful.  It’s run by a campaign group who also have a website.  Most of the topics there are re news, but they also welcome individual problems.  They’re in the public eye (often representing consumers on radio/TV programmes), and if you need a bit of clout on your side it’s worth getting in touch (even if only for advice/info).  https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Dear Eir: Could I please get a response on the above? Thank you.

Day 171.

Your steadfast courtesy is admirable, rat_race!  Keep it up - it's a powerful asset, and will hopefully get results (of the right kind, I mean!).

Thank you.

So it turns out its not the same estate just the exact same situation that my new estate of 100+ houses is in, seems to be a common practice for Eir now, unfortunately for Rat_race he may have a couple of hundred more days of this as i am currently on day 420 of this absolute farce.

I look forward to the replies to the above answers though. 

just to advise one of my answers previously was " well its not worth constantly sending engineers up to estate so we will wait until more move in"

Yep this is the attitude Eir have towards their potential customers as they now know they have that ability as they have made sure Sky etc cant provide the service to these people

recyclops wrote: »

Thank you.

So it turns out its not the same estate just the exact same situation that my new estate of 100+ houses is in, seems to be a common practice for Eir now, unfortunately for Rat_race he may have a couple of hundred more days of this as i am currently on day 420 of this absolute farce.

I look forward to the replies to the above answers though. 

just to advise one of my answers previously was " well its not worth constantly sending engineers up to estate so we will wait until more move in"

Yep this is the attitude Eir have towards their potential customers as they now know they have that ability as they have made sure Sky etc cant provide the service to these people
    The problem here, is that, we're being told all is hunky dory, in terms of the work done, repeatedly (all of us). All I want is some real, actual answers, and some real actual plans/estimations/projects. Not BS, no more guesses, no more time wasting. And I want to know where this information comes from.

I have been told, from various chats/calls/PMs/interactions, just about everything you can think of. All BS. Amazing.

Thank you.

Dear Eir: Could I please get a response on the above? Thank you.

Day 171.
    Eir, can I please get a response on this today? Thanks.

Day 172.

Hi Eir, would you have an update for me?

Day 173.

Hi Eir, would you have an update for me?

Day 173.
    Hi Eir, hoping to get some information today -- please and thank you.

Day 174.

Hi Eir -- could you give me an update on the situation, please? Thanks a lot.

Day 177.

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you. 

I've been speaking with our support team and they have confirmed that this information is correct and has been confirmed by our open eir and planning team.

Unfortunately, we can only provide you with information in relation to eir products and services and cannot comment on other service providers.

I can assure you that this is not illegal nor is it a breach of regulation.

We don't currently have a timeframe as to when the Fibre cable will be activated, there is no eir plant in place and this can take some time I'm afraid.

Our Open eir team who is in charge of network planning would have made this decision and we would be unable to advise on what criteria this is based upon.

I understand your frustrations here and I'm sorry it's not better news. 

I'm afraid there is no more I can do in relation to this. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

I've been speaking with our support team and they have confirmed that this information is correct and has been confirmed by our open eir and planning team.

Unfortunately, we can only provide you with information in relation to eir products and services and cannot comment on other service providers.

We don't currently have a timeframe as to when the Fibre cable will be activated, there is no eir plant in place and this can take some time I'm afraid.

Our Open eir team who is in charge of network planning would have made this decision and we would be unable to advise on what criteria this is based upon.

Thanks 

Tracey
    Hi Tracey: I have asked several times now for more information on this "eir plant". The only mention of a required "eir plant" has been on this thread (I've spoken to several dozen Eir employees -- not one has mentioned this before). What is an "eir plant" -- why can the existing cabinet not be used?

Also, just last week, I re-placed a new eFibre order (not FTTH), and was assured the work date was due on or before April 30th (again). How can this be possible: you're telling me one thing (that eFibre should not be possible, and there are no forecasted work dates), yet the the sales/connections people are telling me another ("just need some cables in the ground"). Surely you're both getting information from the same sources.

Would you like my NEW account number?  

• Advertisement

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

Thanks 

Tracey
    Hi Tracey: I have asked several times now for more information on this "eir plant". The only mention of a required "eir plant" has been on this thread (I've spoken to several dozen Eir employees -- not one has mentioned this before). What is an "eir plant" -- why can the existing cabinet not be used?

Also, just last week, I re-placed a new eFibre order (not FTTH), and was assured the work date was due on or before April 30th (again). How can this be possible: you're telling me one thing (that eFibre should not be possible, and there are no forecasted work dates), yet the the sales/connections people are telling me another ("just need some cables in the ground"). Surely you're both getting information from the same sources.

The eir plant is the infrastructure required to supply you with the eFibre to the cabinet service. The correct channels have confirmed this information and I'm afraid, there is no further information I can give you on this.

If you have placed a new order for the same service again it will come back with the same resolution as the eFibre to cabinet service is not available to you, unfortunately. A site survey would need to carried out on this order to determine the situation at the house.

Feel free to send the new account number on and I’ll have a look at it for you.

Apologies for all confusion caused, I understand this is frustrating.

Thanks

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Tracey[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

Thanks 

Tracey

The eir plant is the infrastructure required to supply you with the eFibre to the cabinet service. The correct channels have confirmed this information and I'm afraid, there is no further information I can give you on this.

If you have placed a new order for the same service again it will come back with the same resolution as the eFibre to cabinet service is not available to you, unfortunately. A site survey would need to carried out on this order to determine the situation at the house.

Thanks

Hi Tracey -- the problem is, as this thread mentions, we have been told "the work will be done in <insert date here>" followed by "the work is done, let's send out engineers repeatedly, it's definitely done!". There has already been dozens of engineer visits, and apparent surveys on the estate.

Over the last couple of weeks, the story has changed, however, and we've been told, oh, "it's a FTTH estate only, you'll never get normal eFibre or have normal phone lines. And, it's live -- go order it!" <--- failed.

So I place another eFibre order (as I was asked to by someone else, another rep), and I'm told the work is due to be done on April 30th or before. How are they giving me these dates (admittedly, I know it's BS), saying it's all fine, just needs a few wires, and you're saying "we can't give you any dates".

Why is one person saying it's FTTH-only, for sure, and it's not?
    Why is that same person saying the Fibre cable (to provide FTTH) is definitely live, when it's not?
    Why can I still place normal eFibre orders, when the same person is saying that will NEVER be available?

None of this makes any sense. I fail to see how there isn't clear information on peoples addresses/estates; there has been enough KN engineers here. 

I will send you both of my account numbers.

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

Thanks 

Tracey

Thanks

Hi Tracey -- the problem is, as this thread mentions, we have been told "the work will be done in <insert date here>" followed by "the work is done, let's send out engineers repeatedly, it's definitely done!". There has already been dozens of engineer visits, and apparent surveys on the estate.

Over the last couple of weeks, the story has changed, however, and we've been told, oh, "it's a FTTH estate only, you'll never get normal eFibre or have normal phone lines. And, it's live -- go order it!" <--- failed.

So I place another eFibre order (as I was asked to by someone else, another rep), and I'm told the work is due to be done on April 30th or before. How are they giving me these dates (admittedly, I know it's BS), saying it's all fine, just needs a few wires, and you're saying "we can't give you any dates".

Why is that same person saying the Fibre cable (to provide FTTH) is definitely live, when it's not?
    Why can I still place normal eFibre orders, when the same person is saying that will NEVER be available?

None of this makes any sense. I fail to see how there isn't clear information on peoples addresses/estates; there has been enough KN engineers here. 

I completely understand your frustrations with the misleading information you have been given in relation to this order, however, we can only advise on the information supplied by the technicians and open eir team.

I can confirm the eFibre to the cabinet service is not available at your address, the FTTH is only available and there is no more we can do in relation to this, unfortunately.

A new order can be placed in the system as the issue will not arise until the survey is carried out.

I’ll have a look at the new order and come back to you through PM’s.  

Thanks

Tracey

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

Thanks 

Tracey

Thanks

I completely understand your frustrations with the misleading information you have been given in relation to this order, however, we can only advise on the information supplied by the technicians and open eir team.

I can confirm the eFibre to the cabinet service is not available at your address, the FTTH is only available and there is no more we can do in relation to this, unfortunately.

A new order can be placed in the system as the issue will not arise until the survey is carried out.

Thanks

Tracey

Thanks for getting back to me.

Day 177.
    Hi rat_race, 

Thanks 

Tracey

Thanks

Thanks

Tracey

Thanks for getting back to me.
    No problem. 

I'm sorry it wasn't a better outcome. 

Thanks

Tracey 

Just got a call from Eir to arrange an installation appointment for Wednesday 18th, to install eFibre.

The "work order" was marked as completed on the 10th, was for some cabling -- which is now "done", and, again, all is good to go according to Eir.

I again asked for certainty, as I cannot afford to take unnecessary days off work. I was again, assured the work was done.

I am asking Eir, here, on boards.ie, to please double, triple, quadruple check, that this isn't going to be, yet again, another waste of everybody's time.

Day 193

Did this come to a good conclusion or are you still getting the runaround?

recyclops wrote: »
    Did this come to a good conclusion or are you still getting the runaround?
    Same story, another day wasted. Two days later (Friday, 20th April), Eir called to organise, another installation date for today, 25th of April. They said a new work order showed the work was actually done, this time, on the 19th of April. Must not have been the 10th of April afterall. And oh shoot, I just just missed it by one day. So the engineer called again today. Guess what? No work done. Still no service in the ground. Same story, waste of everyone's time, money & expectations. Such a surprise.

Amazing levels of incompetence, as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I'm going through the exact same in my new estate for 20 weeks now. Its nearly word for word the same. The latest in my saga is KN keep getting booked to come out to terminate copper yet its only fibre in our estate. Have seen it for myself when KN lifted the manhole again today. Told Eir CC and bookings team to update their system etc but nah, get a phone call again that its all resolved and theres a new booking. Just like you, take time off work, KN rock up and here we go again!!

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    I'm going through the exact same in my new estate for 20 weeks now. Its nearly word for word the same. The latest in my saga is KN keep getting booked to come out to terminate copper yet its only fibre in our estate. Have seen it for myself when KN lifted the manhole again today. Told Eir CC and bookings team to update their system etc but nah, get a phone call again that its all resolved and theres a new booking. Just like you, take time off work, KN rock up and here we go again!!

Hi viper, where are you based? I know myself and rat race are based in North Wicklow although in different areas.

Sadly I am nearly 500 days, yep a year and a half with absolutely no service or even a glimmer of hope.

Advertisement