Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Speaker help

Options
  • 11-12-2017 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We recently bought a new house which has 4 ceiling speakers installed in one of the rooms (kitchen/dining/open plan area). I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to audio setups so I actually have no idea what I need to do to make sound come out of them :D I've attached a few pics to help out.
    I tried a cable I had knocking around with a 3.5mm standard jack at one end and yellow & red audio jacks (pic attached) at the other end to see if that might work (it didn't) but I suspect I need some sort of an amp?

Essentially my question is - what's the easiest and cheapest way of getting these to work. I'm not an audiophile so all I want is to be able to plug a radio/phone/tablet or some source of music into the jacks and have it come through the speakers. In case it makes a difference all my music is stored on a network attached storage drive. Any advice?

Connections IMAG0037[1].jpg

Speakers IMAG0036[1].jpg

Cable used IMAG0038[1].jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the picture named connections shows standard line inputs, which are unamplified line level signals which normally go to an amp. arre those conencters connected to teh speakers, or do they go somwehere else? it could be that teh speakers are powered units, in which case they have their wn built in amps, and then those connectors can go straight to them, otherwise you need an amp somewhere

is there a model number on the speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

mossym wrote: »
    the picture named connections shows standard line inputs, which are amplified line level signals which normally go to an amp. arre those conencters connected to teh speakers, or do they go somwehere else? it could be that teh speakers are powered units, in which case they have their wn built in amps, and then those connectors can go straight to them, otherwise you need an amp somewhere

is there a model number on the speakers?

I think I saw a box with their make/model on it - I'll have a look at home again. I don't think the speakers are powered so I guess that means I would need an amp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had to correct my post above, i meant unamplified.

unless the speakers have their own amp built in to each speaker you need an amp somewhere. you need to find out where the cables from the speakers and the cables from those wall plates meet. that's where the amp needs to go if there isntt already one there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They look like old 5.1 surround connections that would need an older Amplifier with connections on the rear, I’d bet there was also two more speakers, a center and a passive subwoofer that were not placed in the ceiling and were taken away by previous residents.

Here’s an old article where they are discussed...

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/how-to-set-up-surround-sound.html

Alternatively as pointed out above they could be self amplified and just need to be hooked up to and older style surround DVD player/Amp combo unit...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement