Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reports of explosion in Manhattan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Corner of 42nd st and 8th ave

That's where the Port Authority bus terminal station is

Sounds like he was in one of the passageways. Odd place to set off a bomb in NYC. They'd be busy but the level of chaos that such an explosion would cause would be minimal in comparison a street level explosion in midtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

topper75 wrote: »
    Why didn't this post get a red card? Reads a little more politely than Backwards Man's one, but says the very same thing.

Because its what was reported in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Berserker wrote: »
    Sounds like he was in one of the passageways. Odd place to set off a bomb in NYC. They'd be busy but the level of chaos that such an explosion would cause would be minimal in comparison a street level explosion in midtown.
    The initial reports were that it went off prematurely, which would explain why he's alive and there are no injuries.

Why didn't this post get a red card? Reads a little more politely than Backwards Man's one, but says the very same thing.

... why on earth would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If you can't tell the difference between those two posts then no one here can help ya bub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Because its what was reported in the news.

So today's lesson: Being right too soon is wrong.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Leave the moderating to the mods and move on please.

Ah ha, that sounds about right.

Footage that has been confirmed showing the moment of the explosion.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/940209205398577154/video/1

Or today's lesson: learn the difference between a misconstrued tongue in cheek comment and someone expressing proven fact.

• Advertisement

@MSNBC tweets about comments from Bill Bratton:
    NYC suspect involved in explosion inspired by ISIS, says former NYPD commissioner on.msnbc.com/2yeGHrZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yay I was right. What a joyous day.

Jesus, this cesspit is getting worse.

It's just crazy to think how much worse this could have been. Two pipebombs in the busiest transport hub in America... at rush hour...

Yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trump will blame terrorism on this rather than mental health issues as no american guns were involved in this incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's just crazy to think how much worse this could have been. Two pipebombs in the busiest transport hub in America... at rush hour...

Yikes.

Its shocking. These people are animals.

@MSNBC tweets about comments from Bill Bratton:
    NYC suspect involved in explosion inspired by ISIS, says former NYPD commissioner on.msnbc.com/2yeGHrZ

So this is a valid terrorist attack, as opposed to a mental health issue. Officer Barbrady's services will not be needed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There were probably 100s of Americans shot dead over the weekend, why no thread about them?

Just the 74 killed this weekend http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Trumps new intervention in Isralel/Palestine will probably ensure a wave of attacks over Christmas.

Berserker wrote: »
    So this is a valid terrorist attack, as opposed to a mental health issue. Officer Barbrady's services will not be needed today.
    Acoording to NYC mayor it was:

NYC Mayor De Blasio: This Was An Attempted Terrorist Attack

Preliminary facts from police commissioner's press conference:
    name of suspect given as Akayed Ullah
    27-year-old male
    wore an explosive device

murpho999 wrote: »
    Trump will blame terrorism on this rather than mental health issues as no american guns were involved in this incident.
    Bangladeshis vote overwhelmingly (D) as well, so you better believe he'll got to town on this, even if this guy turns out to be Bengali Hindu or Christian.

• Advertisement

He's currently engaging in a p1ssing contest with talk show hosts, you may have to wait a while for him to realise that this incident has even taken place :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940223974985871360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I understand the glib comments that usually pop up on threads such as this. Sarcastic remarks like "OMG I was there in 2007...." etc. It's unfortunately become too common an occurrence these days, that the shock factor has diminished.

But from a personal perspective, my baby brother moved to NYC in September, and works near enough to Times Square. Obviously the geography is vast there, and I wouldn't be au fait with the general lay-out of where he is in relation to the incident, but it's frightening nonetheless when something like this happens. He was in that very station a couple of days ago getting train elsewhere. Thankfully he has informed us that he is safe, but that brief "unknown" beforehand isn't good particularly when you have a mother prone to worry.

It's a scary time to be living away from home, what with all the ****e going on in the world, and there are 1000s of Irish families with people out foreign. Luckily this failed, but the chances of Irish people getting caught up in a major terrorist incident in a mega city like London or New York are quite high, so I think more restrain should be used when taking the piss on these forums.

He's currently engaging in a p1ssing contest with talk show hosts, you may have to wait a while for him to realise that this incident has even taken place :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940223974985871360

F*cking ridiculous. Can you imagine Obama doing that? An attack happens and all he can do is post sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

F*cking ridiculous. Can you imagine Obama doing that? An attack happens and all he can do is post sh*t.

Obama once said "at least I will go down as a President" dropped the mic and walked off like some hip hop god, Im not a Trump supporter by any means but its a farce over there, social media politics has hit us.

Plus hes probably waiting for more info and then tweet something silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trumps new intervention in Isralel/Palestine will probably ensure a wave of attacks over Christmas.
    Nah, ISIS don't have a huge Palestinian contingent.

They're also in absolute tatters, with Iraq this weekend having declared ISIS defeated in that country. They're also heavily surrounded in Syria, most of their supply lines cut off.

There may be some increase in terrorism as a retaliation for Israel, but they'll all be lone lunatics like this guy, declaring allegiance to ISIS, rather than coordinated attacks by ISIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Some good responses though :pac:

Being president is hard work, after golfing, tweeting and eating Big Macs you barely have time to watch eight hours of television per day.

I understand the glib comments that usually pop up on threads such as this. Sarcastic remarks like "OMG I was there in 2007...." etc. It's unfortunately become too common an occurrence these days, that the shock factor has diminished.

But from a personal perspective, my baby brother moved to NYC in September, and works near enough to Times Square. Obviously the geography is vast there, and I wouldn't be au fait with the general lay-out of where he is in relation to the incident, but it's frightening nonetheless when something like this happens. He was in that very station a couple of days ago getting train elsewhere. Thankfully he has informed us that he is safe, but that brief "unknown" beforehand isn't good particularly when you have a mother prone to worry.

It's a scary time to be living away from home, what with all the ****e going on in the world, and there are 1000s of Irish families with people out foreign. Luckily this failed, but the chances of Irish people getting caught up in a major terrorist incident in a mega city like London or New York are quite high, so I think more restrain should be used when taking the piss on these forums.

No, they're not really high at all. It's really quite low.

Approximately 15-20 million people combined survived the recent attacks in Paris and London.

It's tragic when it happens but the chances of being caught up in one of these attacks even if you're in the same city are really very low.

seamus wrote: »

They're also in absolute tatters, with Iraq this weekend having declared ISIS defeated in that country. They're also heavily surrounded in Syria, most of their supply lines cut off.

There may be some increase in terrorism as a retaliation for Israel, but they'll all be lone lunatics like this guy, declaring allegiance to ISIS, rather than coordinated attacks by ISIS.

No no no its Trumps fault.

I know what you're saying, but you have two choices, you either let the fear control your life, or you control the fear. There were no insensitive jokes from anyone here, that I noticed, it was mostly relief that some cowardly scumbag did more harm to himself than anyone else.

I grew up on the border in the 80s, I have relations living and working and all kinds of ****holes and warzones, and it's grand to worry about them, but don't let the worry take over.

seamus wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if he gave allegiance to HAMAS as opposed to ISIS.

OK, supposedly he said he had connections to ISIS, so I'm likely wrong.

Reddit live thread with details from recent press conference.

https://www.reddit.com/live/103aqce71mbrv/

• Advertisement

Plus hes probably waiting for more info before he tweets something silly.

That would be a first.

That would be a first.

No hes still gonna say something silly regardless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Approximately 15-20 million people combined survived the recent attacks in Paris and London.

It's tragic when it happens but the chances of being caught up in one of these attacks even if you're in the same city are really very low.

That is a naive and misleading statement.
    The purpose of terror is to promote feelings of fear and a willingness to be swayed to the Terrorists goal. The massive increase in the security state with the loss of civil liberties that entails as well as the self-censorship of the media that try and play down such incidents is nothing more that willful self delusion. As per Bruce Hoffman's book "Insider Terrorism", their aim is to "frighten, dominate and control", which is based on people's having an accepting attitude of this being "part and parcel of living in a big city” looks to be succeeding : i.e. to think these attacks are the norm.

Manach wrote: »
    That is a naive and misleading statement.
    The purpose of terror is to promote feelings of fear and a willingness to be swayed to the Terrorists goal. The massive increase in the security state with the loss of civil liberties that entails as well as the self-censorship of the media that try and play down such incidents is nothing more that willful self delusion. As per Bruce Hoffman's book "Insider Terrorism", their aim is to "frighten, dominate and control", which is based on people's having an accepting attitude of this being "part and parcel of living in a big city” looks to be succeeding : i.e. to think these attacks are the norm.

I'm not sure what the point is that you're trying to make but being overly worried about somebody because they happen to live in the same metropolis as where an attacks have taken place is misplaced as the attacks are completely random and the chances of being involved in them are remote in the extreme.

Similar to refusing to fly because of an unrelated air crash imho.

No but he'd probably launch into some hour long lovey dovey speech, full of good intentions which will never see the light of day. Trump is busy eating his egg mcmuffin at this hour of the morning, leave him be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Press say he is named as Akayed Ullah, originally from Bangladesh.

Luckily no-one was seriously injured in the stampede, at one of the country's busiest bus stations at start of rush-hour 7:20am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I'm just trying to point out what a bloody non event this is, in a city 1000s of kilometers from here.
    There were probably 100s of Americans shot dead over the weekend, why no thread about them?

I agree it's a major issue. Start a thread about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Jesus. And I was only there in 2007.

Call Joe Duffy, he'd love to hear that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

goose2005 wrote: »
    Call Joe Duffy, he'd love to hear that

He might even get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Bunny12345

It's important to remember at times like these that this has nothing to do with Islam, terrorism has no religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Bunny12345 wrote: »
    It's important to remember at times like these that this has nothing to do with Islam, terrorism has no religion

Typical Infidel mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I know the irish education system is biased towards the underdog but Israel have done well over the years in the region should we just let them at it?? would the palastinians improve jerusulam if they had control, or would it go to sh1te?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I know the irish education system is biased towards the underdog but Israel have done well over the years in the region should we just let them at it?? would the palastinians improve jerusulam if they had control, or would it go to sh1te?

That would need a separate thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Your chance of dying in a terrorist attack is not worth thinking about.
    Even if you were in the Bataclan, the worst incident to hit France since WW2, you had a better than 9 in 10 chance of getting out uninjured. More people died in 2 weeks of car crashes in France than died in that incident.

It may seem harsh and cynical, but IMO terrorist incidents are not given perspective when they're reported, primarily as the media have realised that fear and shock sell better than fact and measured responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Yay I was right. What a joyous day.

Jesus, this cesspit is getting worse.

Topper75, I think that The Backwards Man was doing something very smart. So smart that it might have gone over your head, so I'll give you a quick run-down...

By this stage everyone knows that a betting person is going to put money on bombings (and certainly suicide bombings) as being related to religious extremists of only one religion. Knowing this, TBM has implied that people going on about such is just done by those who want to bash that particular religion. He preempted the announcement of the suspect to undercut discussion about terrorism, because such discussion is only likely to come from people coming out of the 'cesspit'.

Now there's a point there.... buried deep in there, but it's there nonetheless. A little nugget of a point amid the slag.

Terrorism doesn't rate compared to car fatalities in the US. People like to get sensationalist about things that don't affect them. History is more palatable as a series of events rather than a complex analysis of trends. People classify large groups of things using extreme examples.

Okay, got all that gay stuff out of the way? Great. Let's just hope that a crazy wahhabist doesn't get his hands on a dirty bomb any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

eeguy wrote: »
    Your chance of dying in a terrorist attack is not worth thinking about.
    Even if you were in the Bataclan, the worst incident to hit France since WW2, you had a better than 9 in 10 chance of getting out uninjured. More people died in 2 weeks of car crashes in France than died in that incident.

It may seem harsh and cynical, but IMO terrorist incidents are not given perspective when they're reported, primarily as the media have realised that fear and shock sell better than fact and measured responses.

Most French people also survived the fall of France in 1940. During the time of the third Reich more French people died from heart disease than at the hand of the Wehrmacht or SS. In other words, it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Topper75, I think that The Backwards Man was doing something very smart. So smart that it might have gone over your head

Jaysus, do you think he will get the Pulitzer or will this ingenuity go over their heads too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Topper75, I think that The Backwards Man was doing something very smart. So smart that it might have gone over your head, so I'll give you a quick run-down...

By this stage everyone knows that a betting person is going to put money on bombings (and certainly suicide bombings) as being related to religious extremists of only one religion. Knowing this, TBM has implied that people going on about such is just done by those who want to bash that particular religion. He preempted the announcement of the suspect to undercut discussion about terrorism, because such discussion is only likely to come from people coming out of the 'cesspit'.

Now there's a point there.... buried deep in there, but it's there nonetheless. A little nugget of a point amid the slag.

Terrorism doesn't rate compared to car fatalities in the US. People like to get sensationalist about things that don't affect them. History is more palatable as a series of events rather than a complex analysis of trends. People classify large groups of things using extreme examples.

Okay, got all that gay stuff out of the way? Great. Let's just hope that a crazy wahhabist doesn't get his hands on a dirty bomb any time soon.

Except there have been more attacks by right wing terrorists in the US.

So when people see a terrorist attack and think "muslim" then they may be right but most of the time it's for the wrong reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

When local police etc in America are giving a statement to the media, why do they always have loads and loads of people standing behind them? (like Irish politicians on tv)

I'd say a red card from boards and a Pulitzer prize for the same passage must be every writer's dream. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement