Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive beggars

Options
  • 11-12-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

There's this (apparently) homeless guy who I see from time to time around Capel Street / St Anne Street. He basically approaches people with the usual random opening story, but when he's refused money he gets aggressive. Last time he approached me and when I politely told him I had no money to give him, he told me to go f*ck myself as he began to walk off. When I said 'Okay pal...' he stopped and began demanding I say it to his face and blah blah blah. He didn't follow me though.

It's awkward because he lurks in the quiet streets that I have to go through when I leave my apartment. I'm not the most even tempered person in the world either, but even I can see that getting into an actual fight with some one who could well be carrying a knife or a needle is ill advised. He's a fairly big chap too, so I wouldn't expect to come out on top.

I've got nothing against homeless people, they have my sympathies, but I can just tell that this particular guy is an absolute scumbag. The only other time I saw him (and his pal) before, they told me they were starving so I offered to buy them a sandwich in the shop. The guy tried to put like €12 worth of junk food in the basket, trying to be all intimidating when I told him he was taking the p*ss.

I don't know if I'll be able to refrain from conflict next time, which I know would be unwise, even if I were to come out on top, I really can't be bothered with the hassle.

If there's a next time, how should I handle it?

Ignore?
    Say I have nothing?
    Get aggressive?
    Give a coin to get rid of him? (would this effectively be a form of mugging?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you report him to the Guards? I certainly wouldn't have it out with him, who knows what he might do. Other than that all you can do is ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Storm in a teacup by the sounds of it, you should learn to be more resilient. Life can be scary sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Give him some gear mixed with bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

I would definitely ignore him, it's far to dangerous otherwise, as you said he could have a knife or even worse on him

I had to laugh last week at this guy begging for money - he was asking for any spare notes!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The only note in my wallet at the moment is a Post-it with last week's shopping list :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

miamee wrote: »
    The only note in my wallet at the moment is a Post-it with last week's shopping list :D

Ha ha and me!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I love how some of them are trying to re-educate themselves and can't keep their nose out of a good book, while begging, wonderful to see

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Whenever someone comes up to me saying "Change", I tell them I also want change but have no political power to bring that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

jwest439 wrote: »
    There's this (apparently) homeless guy who I see from time to time around Capel Street / St Anne Street. He basically approaches people with the usual random opening story, but when he's refused money he gets aggressive. Last time he approached me and when I politely told him I had no money to give him, he told me to go f*ck myself as he began to walk off. When I said 'Okay pal...' he stopped and began demanding I say it to his face and blah blah blah. He didn't follow me though.

It's awkward because he lurks in the quiet streets that I have to go through when I leave my apartment. I'm not the most even tempered person in the world either, but even I can see that getting into an actual fight with some one who could well be carrying a knife or a needle is ill advised. He's a fairly big chap too, so I wouldn't expect to come out on top.

I've got nothing against homeless people, they have my sympathies, but I can just tell that this particular guy is an absolute scumbag. The only other time I saw him (and his pal) before, they told me they were starving so I offered to buy them a sandwich in the shop. The guy tried to put like €12 worth of junk food in the basket, trying to be all intimidating when I told him he was taking the p*ss.

I don't know if I'll be able to refrain from conflict next time, which I know would be unwise, even if I were to come out on top, I really can't be bothered with the hassle.

If there's a next time, how should I handle it?

Ignore?
    Say I have nothing?
    Get aggressive?
    Give a coin to get rid of him? (would this effectively be a form of mugging?)

Tell him to p*ss off and then keep walking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ignore him and don't risk a confrontation. Report him to AGS next time too.

I'm well able to look after myself and I'd keep my head down in the city centre, its just not worth letting someone like that fvck up your day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement