Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repossessions Security

• 11-12-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few videos lately of houses and land repossessions. You can see that most have Gardai, a representative from a bank etc and plan clothes security.

Regarding the security I noticed most have no id ans their faces covered and as a PSA license holder myself I wondered what or who these guys are!

So I emailed the PSA and got the below response

"Thank you for your email.

The service of protecting individuals while carrying out their duties are
    not licensable activities at present by the Private Security Authority. The
    personal are there to protect the individual and not property.

I hope that this clarifies your "

No it doses not clarify anything..........So they are either licensed close protection or unlicensed thugs allowd to hide their faces whilst in the company of the Gardai.

The case details are not important, whether you did not pay your dues by ignorance or by financial difficulties these people should be showing valid I'd ans their faces should they not

I wonder if the owner called 999 and reports a number of masked men on thier prop will the Gardai come out or will they have been pre-notified of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure what your point is?

Bodyguards/personal security are not required to hold a PSA licence. Should they be? Perhaps. I guess though it's going to be tough to regulate. "Oh I'm not a bodyguard, I'm just his friend".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I wonder if the owner called 999 and reports a number of masked men on thier prop will the Gardai come out or will they have been pre-notified of this?

Ummm, are the Gards not already there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is?

Bodyguards/personal security are not required to hold a PSA licence. Should they be? Perhaps. I guess though it's going to be tough to regulate. "Oh I'm not a bodyguard, I'm just his friend".

My point is if they're there with Gardai and a banking official surley they need to he licensed.

If the chap having his house taken has ten of his mates with their faces covered you can be sure the Garda on duty would be having a word with them.

Well a non licensed bouncer could say the same....all ok until your mate touched someone then his not your mate at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Ummm, are the Gards not already there?

Yes....they are but not for you their not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well a non licensed bouncer could say the same....all ok until your mate touched someone then his not your mate at all
    Perhaps, but a bouncer's role specifically is door security.

The people accompanying a bank official may all be bank officials on paper all there to execute the repossession. So none of them would require a PSA licence.

In any case, they're accompanied by a Garda so the typical concerns about private security don't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The security are their to protect the sheriff or persons acting on a court order - re-possessors. The gardai have no function in the repossession but are there for the potential of a breach of the peace.
    Nobody is permitted to take any aggressive action or physically attack - the repossessor doesn't need to threaten or intimidate the debtor because he is already legally entitled to seize goods and doesn't need the debtor to be compliant.

Advertisement