Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend won't move out!!

Options
  • 11-12-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I live in my family home in Dublin 6 and my parents have been away for the last few months. About 2 and a half months ago, a friend of mine asked could he move in and stay for a couple of months while he looked for somewhere cheap to rent in the local area. I agreed and just asked him to help pay the bills etc but about a month ago I told him that my parents are coming back so I can't accommodate him anymore when they're home, giving him about a months notice. They are now due back in the next few days but he still won't move out! He keeps saying he needs to stay until he finds what he's looking for. He claims he'd be homeless if I didn't keep on accommodating him yet he has a full time job in a bank, has been offered a room in Tallaght by another friend and is actually from Blanchardstown but he doesn't want to live there. What can I do about this as its really stressing me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Tell him you're calling the guards if he doesnt move out asap. And call them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Unless he has a lease them he is trespassing

Contact the guards and they will remove him

• Administrators Posts: 13,978 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Wait for your mam to get home and she'll put the run on him!

Do your parents know he has been living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Sounds like a user not a friend. Tell the person that there stuff will be out in the garden in the next 2 days.
    I don’t know the person but make sure they don’t steal from you as thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

He is really taking the p*ss here, there are plenty of cheap room rentals all around dublin, and if he has a job in a bank he won't exactly be out on the street. If he tries this suggest AirBnb, it's really not your problem, you have gone far and above your duty as a friend in this circumstance. It's totally disrespectful to you as a friend to abuse your hospitality in such a manner.
    I would hatch a plan, Pack his clothes and belongings for him when he is out of the house. Some people are like limpets and need this done for them. When he arrives back try and keep the tone as low as possible, you don't want him kicking off and possibly getting arrested- your parents would find out then!
    Don't raise your voice, even if he does. Don't get into whirlygogs with him, just repeat something like "My parents are due home and you have to leave". Don't become responsible for 'helping' him find a new place quickly,he has Daft & Airbnb on his phone i'm sure.. That's his problem. If he refuses to leave, ring the Gardai to have him removed. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 number19

Yes I had ran it by them when he asked and they agreed and wanted to see me help a friend out. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to get that this is my family home and I never agreed to him staying indefinitely and with my parents around. He's made this difficult and I might just have to move his stuff out as people suggest(he brought more stuff into the house than I was happy with btw). Thanks for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You need to think of it this way - He isn't being a good friend to you now. He has no respect for you, he is taking advantage, and he is banking on you doing nothing about it so he can continue to do so.
    At this point your friendship is going to be strained now anyway because he has overstayed his welcome and doesn't seem to give a sh*t.

If he doesn't leave I would also call the guards. He is not your responsibility and it is not your problem that he didn't get himself sorted when he had the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

....... wrote: »
    Change the locks when he is out.

Might be theft if you deny him access to his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

That is nuts.....

Tell him you'll call his parents and tell them what he's upto.. .

Should embarrass him enough to get a wriggle on

Failing that, tell him that you'll go onto Facebook and embarrass him on there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

What is he plannng to say to your folks when they arrive back?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,916 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd give him a deadline ie 48 hours and he's gone. If he's not, wait til he's at work and pack his stuff neatly and leave it in the porch. If he's got a key to the house, you're going to need to change the locks also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

He's not your friend.
    Tell him he no longer has access to the house EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, apart from to arrange collection of his stuff within an agreed timeframe.
    If he refuses, load his stuff into a car and drive it to his parent's house where it will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Toots wrote: »
    I'd give him a deadline ie 48 hours and he's gone. If he's not, wait til he's at work and pack his stuff neatly and leave it in the porch. If he's got a key to the house, you're going to need to change the locks also.

I wouldn't touch his gear and I wouldn't leave it in the porch. Nothing to stop the so-called 'friend' from claiming his gear's been nicked. I really wouldn't put it past him at this stage. This guy is such a leech. I bet he's made no effort to find a place, but would rather mooch.

What I would do is change the locks, so he has to knock to get it. When he comes, tell the guy he has one hour to pack and step! Nothing he can do about it as Boyfriend is only a licensee at best and an unwanted guest at the most.

Is he paying rent/keeps?

He does give me money weekly, I only ask for 50 quid, just enough to pay the bills etc and he has paid it. But I told him with 4 or 5 weeks notice that I couldn't accommodate him when the parents are home and he's very reluctant to move out, saying he'd have to find somewhere else in the local area. I can't understand why he won't take up the friend's offer in Tallaght or just move back to his only family home in Blanchardstown, never met her but I don't think his mother would approve of his behaviour, very unreasonable!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Perhaps your very generous rate of €50 per week needs to go up to reflect the market value of renting out the room with immediate effect. I'd say he'll move along to your friend's place pretty quickly after that. Don't forget to warn your other friend to lay down the ground rules to him or they'll find it hard to get rid of him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I actually can't believe some people - the brazeness is just unreal - your family home and he refuses to move out??! I'd be calling the guards immediately; it's not like you're a landlord and you're turfing him out without notice! You gave him sufficient notice and told him that this couldn't continue when your parents returned and he still hasn't organised suitable accommodation - tough!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,916 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

number19 wrote: »
    He does give me money weekly, I only ask for 50 quid, just enough to pay the bills etc and he has paid it. But I told him with 4 or 5 weeks notice that I couldn't accommodate him when the parents are home and he's very reluctant to move out, saying he'd have to find somewhere else in the local area. I can't understand why he won't take up the friend's offer in Tallaght or just move back to his only family home in Blanchardstown, never met her but I don't think his mother would approve of his behaviour, very unreasonable!

Ah here, he's taking the complete piss. Look, tell him he's got 24/48 hours to get his crap out of your house. If he doesn't do it, do what someone suggested above and bring it to his parents house and change your locks. Boo hoo, he doesn't want to live in Blanchardstown, well he's got an option of accommodation in Tallaght, but being accommodated in your house is no an option any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I told him with 4 or 5 weeks notice that I couldn't accommodate him when the parents are home and he's very reluctant to move out, saying he'd have to find somewhere else in the local area.

As a matter of interest, what does he *actually* think is going to happen when your folks get home? That he'll just tell them "I live here now" and they'll go "Oh, ok, welcome to the family"???

What age are you both, btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Tell him you spoke to your folks and they said he can stay for £1200 per month plus bills!!

Download a basic rent agreement and have him fill it out in front of you, he wont be long leaving then I would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's no wonder he doesn't want to leave so if he's only having to hand over €50 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It's no wonder he doesn't want to leave so if he's only having to hand over €50 a week.

My thoughts exactly. This reminds me of when we were at uni, a house-mates's friend moved in with us on a a temporary basis until he found somewhere else. He had a good full-time job so could have afforded a good rent.

Because he camped out in the living room, he paid a reduced amount. As time went by we noticed he wasn't making much effort to find alternative accommodation. Obviously this became awkward for the rest of us so we wanted him out. He simply didn't want to go, citing the fact he was paying rent as justification for staying! It didn't matter about the rest of us of course having limited use of our living room. Some ppl can be very stingy and he was one of them. He had plenty money to spend on expensive holidays and nights out. In the end he did leave but only because we made him feel so uncomfortable, he'd no choice!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

50 quid a week in D6?
    Of course he doesn't want to go!
    He'd be mad to!
    OP- you're being taken for a complete ride-this is no 'friend'- its a freeloading wastrel who knows they're onto a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

I think the OP should change the thread title to FCUKER won't move out because i don't believe any proper friend would this to me. He is just a leech and certainly not a friend

So he found someone else in Rathfarnham that is willing to put him up but only for a couple of weeks and moved out last night(I spent 3 hours helping him move out and he still has stuff in my house!). He said he is unlikely to find somewhere else by the time he moves out of the other guys house so he'll have to come back to mine again. I told him I can't put him up anymore because my parents have to stay here for the next few months, he then started messaging me telling me he'll be homeless if I don't let him come back. I'm not letting him come back and I won't be having anything to do with him any longer, as many of you have said, he's not a proper friend, spoilt brat that has caused me a lot of aggro over the last few weeks when I was only doing him a favour. I told him I'd given him plenty of notice and I'd helped him as much as I could and if he doesn't find anywhere he'll have to move to the other friend's place in Tallaght or move back home, he wasn't too happy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Good stuff number19 - I hope you got your key back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Don't beat yourself up as the only true friend is yourself OP, gave him a place to live and look what gratitude you were shown. Personally I'd let him rot on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

So he found someone else in Rathfarnham that is willing to put him up but only for a couple of weeks and moved out last night(I spent 3 hours helping him move out and he still has stuff in my house!). He said he is unlikely to find somewhere else by the time he moves out of the other guys house so he'll have to come back to mine again. I told him I can't put him up anymore because my parents have to stay here for the next few months, he then started messaging me telling me he'll be homeless if I don't let him come back. I'm not letting him come back and I won't be having anything to do with him any longer, as many of you have said, he's not a proper friend, spoilt brat that has caused me a lot of aggro over the last few weeks when I was only doing him a favour. I told him I'd given him plenty of notice and I'd helped him as much as I could and if he doesn't find anywhere he'll have to move to the other friend's place in Tallaght or move back home, he wasn't too happy.

What an ungrateful pr*ck. The cheek to assume he could move back to yours. Make sure he gets the rest of his stuff out and hands back the keys. Though I'd still be inclined to change the locks - buy the relevant barrel and change it yourself. His happiness is not your concern now. You've done more than enough so ignore his threats of homelessness. He's working so he can afford to find a place elsewhere if he doesn't want to move home to his parents. He should have plenty of savings given the pitiful amount he was giving you! Don't engage in any further discussion with him - if he threatens anything else contact his parents to let them know he is pretending to be homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

He is out of your house now, thankfully.
    As Douglas Adams put it- he is now a SEP (Someone else's Problem).
    Calling him a spoilt brat- doesn't begin to describe him.
    You owe him nothing.
    Don't let him bully you into imagining you have to take care of him- and get the rest of his stuff out of your home asap, so he no excuse...........

Advertisement