Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family skiing

Options
  • 11-12-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Hoping to go skiing in the new year. Our six year has skied once before and loved it. However, we have had a baby since then and I'm wondering can anyone recommend resorts or hotels that offer child minding for the one year old. We are thinking of going in early February. My wife and I have skied numerous times so ideally looking for morning ski school for the six year old and child minding for the one year old. Afternoons will mainly be family time I'd imagine. Any recommendations welcome. Thank you.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Hi pgibbo
    I haven't been to a range of resorts but can recommend where I have been - Les Gets in France. About an hr transfer from Geneva.
    The resort is family friendly (no huge après scene).
    Club Piou-Piou cater for kids ski lessons from 4.
    There are also two (I think) crèches in the village - Also Jack frosts(Morzine) cover Les Gets with a Nanny service.
    I haven't used Jack Frosts yet - we are going late Jan and will be our first time using them - we had used a nanny previously for our eldest, but that nanny has gone back to UK.

-Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Morzine or Avoriaz, which is the little snow village half way up the mountain, would be a good place to look. It's a short transfer Dublin to Geneva and a short bus ride to Avoriaz then, easy for kids. Avoriaz also is on the mountain so you can ski in \ out. I'm also pretty sure they do a kids club. You can also AirBnb the accommodation up their which is easier to manage and keep the costs down too.

If you want more details pm me to let me know, I don't check back here often enough these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks folks. I'll start having a look at those.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Hoping to go skiing in the new year. Our six year has skied once before and loved it. However, we have had a baby since then and I'm wondering can anyone recommend resorts or hotels that offer child minding for the one year old. We are thinking of going in early February. My wife and I have skied numerous times so ideally looking for morning ski school for the six year old and child minding for the one year old. Afternoons will mainly be family time I'd imagine. Any recommendations welcome. Thank you.

P.

Went skiing last January with family to Seefeld in Austrian alps with kids aged 12, 10, and 2. There was a beginners school for kids aged 3 to 8 and we were all beginners also so we took lessons with the two older kids and had a ball. Hotel provided us with a local lady who came to our apartment to mind the youngest while we hit the slopes. Worked out perfect and we loved it. First time skiing for us so can’t really compare other resorts but Seefeld is georgous and would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

Hi,

I am off to Flaine, France in early Feb, it is a great family resort, as very compact.
    All accommodation, shop, bar etc in small area at bottom of big bowl.
    Ski locker available at bottom slope for less carrying gear.

We have our six year old in lesson for second time with ESF, for the week, times 9.30 to 12.30
    She skied at 3 and 4 just with us, then feb this year in ski school.

Don't know about child minding services as haven't used any there.

PM me if you want any other info. Hope this won't interfere with tri training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Who would you guys recommend booking through for a Ski holiday? We've always done sun, and booked independently with Ryanair and the hotels. I've skied once before when I was in school and the fambam have never done it but I've finally talked them into it. Probably looking at next winter and we'll have 2 adults, a 16 and 11 y/o.

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I've pretty much always gone with booking everything myself - flights and Airbnb. Hire equipment in the resort and buy ski passes when we get there.

The only exception to that is when I've used the UCPA as they provide accommodation, equipment, ski passes and food.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't think I'd chance booking the lot separate for the first time skiing so I'll try some of the travel agents to see if I can get a price for flights, accommodation, ski hire, passes and lessons.

I think I'll take them up to the dry slope in the North to have a go before I book anything.

Advertisement