Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dublin on Minimum Wage ???

Options
  • 11-12-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have been offered a job with a company in Dublin city centre. The starting salary is €20,000 per annum, which works out close enough to the minimum hourly rate of pay.

I'm wondering will this actually be tenable. I'm not adverse to scrimping and saving but while I continue to hear the horror stories of Dublin rents being drastically high I'm wondering would I actually be able to afford the cost of living in Dublin city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

What happens if the job falls through after a month, have you savings to fall back on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EggShellSkull

What happens if the job falls through after a mont, have you savings to fall back on

The job is secure, a three-year contract. I'm actually moving out of home so if everything goes south I can return home (Cork) to mammy and daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muminpajamas

Does this job offer career progression and benefits? Are you using your qualifications? Sounds like you have a plan if it falls through so no need to stress too much.

Does this job offer career progression and benefits? Are you using your qualifications? Sounds like you have a plan if it falls through so no need to stress too much.

Yes, the prospects are very good and this is a position I want. However, the initial salary is quite low in comparison to potential future earnings. My main concern is handing over a huge percentage of my monthly salary for rent and not being able to get by adequately on what's left over.

My net income after tax would be €1,500 per month, but looking at rental options I could end up being left with somewhere in the region of €180 per week (if rent is €750 per month). Could I actually get by on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭al87987

I'm not on much more and in a similar situation to yourself. 3 year trainee contract.

I had to move back in with my da and am still just about scraping by, you can manage but it will be tough. Say goodbye to luxuries like new clothes or two-ply toilet paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

a three year contract is not a three year contract.

A friend of mine was recruited for a relatively low paying contracted job in Dublin from overseas. They were let go after 6 months. The employer turned their life on end. The only reason the friend accepted the job was to get experience, instead they got a 6 month hole in their CV and were left thousands out of pocket after moving expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

What part of Dublin is the job in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

737max wrote: »
    a three year contract is not a three year contract.

A friend of mine was recruited for a relatively low paying contracted job in Dublin from overseas. They were let go after 6 months. The employer turned their life on end. The only reason the friend accepted the job was to get experience, instead they got a 6 month hole in their CV and were left thousands out of pocket after moving expenses.

Ya but sure you have to jump in somewhere.
    It's small money. I remember I started as a graduate in 2001 in Dublin on 25k punts and I had nothing left although I was running a car.
    20k today is crazy tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Do it for a year and then try to move up or move on would be my advice. Frugal living but will be worth it in the long run

Yes, the prospects are very good and this is a position I want. However, the initial salary is quite low in comparison to potential future earnings. My main concern is handing over a huge percentage of my monthly salary for rent and not being able to get by adequately on what's left over.

My net income after tax would be €1,500 per month, but looking at rental options I could end up being left with somewhere in the region of €180 per week (if rent is €750 per month). Could I actually get by on this?

You can easily rent places in a house share with a single room in Dublin for around €400pm and less in many cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you do it try and wangle yourself a par time a job in a bar or a bit of waiting one or two evenings or maybe people don't do things like that anymore.

You can easily rent places in a house share with a single room in Dublin for around €400pm and less in many cases.

600 to 700 is closer to the mark.

600 to 700 is closer to the mark.

Loads like this one!

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/clonsilla/8-allendale-glen-clonsilla-dublin-978972/

kill me, kill me now.

Sorry?

you show us a box room in the ar5e end of Clonsilla. What sort of bare sorry existence do you wish to foist upon the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

It wouldn't be much craic but doable!

you show us a box room in the ar5e end of Clonsilla. What sort of bare sorry existence do you wish to foist upon the OP.

Well how about do some research before challenging me. There are numerous ones. Im sure the Op would rather live within his/her means.

Loads like this one!

That looks grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, there is little wrong with that provided it's a safe area to walk between there and the train station.
    Too many people seem to think they are entitled to stay in city centre, even people on welfare.
    I lived in similar in Lucan. Suited me fine.

• Advertisement

That looks grim.

They always do will be totally different when OP moves in with his/her bits and pieces or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Were you expecting a penthouse in Spencer's dock?

If the position has prospects then ask relations to support you for a while so that you can maintain a quality of life, otherwise pass.

I'm not going to tiptoe around the topic like I did with my Friend trying not to be Mr. Negativity.
    You'll have a miserable life in Dublin on 20k and the only other suggestions you are getting on this thread are to work a 60 to 80 hour week and to live in a 6ft by 6ft box room.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Were you expecting a penthouse in Spencer's dock?
    That is my idea of hell. It speaks volumes that people think that when you are living in an expensive apartment in a run down part of the inner city of a paroachial town that you have "arrived".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

No it's not possible, no one in Dublin earns minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

I have been offered a job with a company in Dublin city centre. The starting salary is €20,000 per annum, which works out close enough to the minimum hourly rate of pay.

I'm wondering will this actually be tenable. I'm not adverse to scrimping and saving but while I continue to hear the horror stories of Dublin rents being drastically high I'm wondering would I actually be able to afford the cost of living in Dublin city centre?

I did it for a while as I upskilling by studying part-time in the evening. It's really hard going - Rent is the obvious killer. If you can try and stay with mature students, PhDs or similar in a shared house it's can be grand, particularly PhD students as they will be busy most of the time and less inclined to be partying. It will still cost a fortune though. Another downside is you're living a good distance from the city so the commute is the other money drainer - taking the luas/bus or both across different zones adds up each day. Food shopping in places like Lidl & Aldi will save you a fortune. Then the rest is pretty standard.

What is an estate agent doing letting out a house by the room rather than in its entiriety. That house will be appearing for sale in coming months and they'll all be thrown out on their ear.

What is an estate agent doing letting out a house by the room rather than in its entiriety. That house will be appearing for sale in coming months and they'll all be thrown out on their ear.

Do you just come on here to POO-POO peoples suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

The job is secure, a three-year contract. I'm actually moving out of home so if everything goes south I can return home (Cork) to mammy and daddy.

Grand then go for it, and have a ball in the city. I’d recommend somewhere you can commute from as the city Centre is ridiculous price.

Advertisement