Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on woodcock shooting this winter.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

That's a "UK" article. This isn't UK ;)

How independent is this research?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

That's a "UK" article. This isn't UK ;)

How independent is this research?

Russian birds winter in UK and Ireland, so article is relevant.

GWCT is a shooting organisation, so their data/research would not be biased against shooting.

Russian birds winter in UK and Ireland,

I know.
    so article is relevant.

Possibly
    GWCT is a shooting organisation, so their data/research would not be biased against shooting.

Not independent so.

Stopping tourist shooting of them here, stopping commercial sale to game dealers & shooters being conservative in numbers they shoot, which most usually are, should be enough in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Stopping tourist shooting of them here, stopping commercial sale to game dealers & shooters being conservative in numbers they shoot, which most usually are, should be enough in the short term.

This needs to be looked at all right - did some duck shooting in the Hollymount area of Mayo on a M8's permission last few years and came across French shooters hitting woodcock hard on a nearby wetland several times.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    This needs to be looked at all right - did some duck shooting in the Hollymount area of Mayo on a M8's permission last few years and came across French shooters hitting woodcock hard on a nearby wetland several times.

Over shooting by tourist shooters of woodcock is out of control in a lot of the West in last few years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Yes quite correct and possibly restraint is called for, however I fear those who should show restraint wont anyway.

Over shooting by tourist shooters of woodcock is out of control in a lot of the West in last few years :(

This is the real problem

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I

ASFIK it is illegal to sell Woodcock to GD 'ers here in the Republic anyway.NI not so.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

I know.

Possibly

Not independent so.

I agree 100% about the tourist shooting, totally wrong for it to be possible to make profit off migratory species, big problem in my area too,

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ASFIK it is illegal to sell Woodcock to GD 'ers here in the Republic anyway.NI not so.

Really? Where would I get confirmation of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Really? Where would I get confirmation of that?

The ban on the sale of Woodcock is in place since the 1st of November 2015.
    If you do a search on Google you will find it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Whatever is going on the birds are not there their this season. I've never met as few woodcock . Teal are non existent in the bits of the midlands I shoot, I'd say the ones I did come across(ie two) were locals. It's worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Then thats good enough ,once its not that shower bird watch ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Ive been shooting woodcock a long long time and prefer tit to pheasants. It is possibly the best type of shooting youll get.
    The fact that farmers are draining and clearing every bit of hazel and cover so they can get there grants, coupled with tourist shooters and gawbeens out taking bags of 10 and 12 per outing is the problem and then posting it on FB.

You'd dishonest to yoursel iif you said the numbers are the same as they were in the past. It's not one specific problem and we as shooters need to show restraint or we will have no woodcock because the PTB will close the season.

I.
    The fact that farmers are draining and clearing every bit of hazel and cover so they can get there grants,

Must be a new set of grants in then:)...Land drainage grants haven't been available for decades.Ireland gets very little in grants nowadays from the EU[SSR], in fact, we contribute to the grant scheme for improvised east bloc countries who are being granted these days..Plus, doing stuff like that would be putting your REPS payment in serious jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Must be a new set of grants in then:)...Land drainage grants haven't been available for decades.Ireland gets very little in grants nowadays from the EU[SSR], in fact, we contribute to the grant scheme for improvised east bloc countries who are being granted these days..Plus, doing stuff like that would be putting your REPS payment in serious jeopardy.

The problem Griz is that farmers will lose farm support payments(BPS, SFP etc.) if they don't take all the scrub and wetland areas out of these grant applications as payments are only made on land that can be grazed or cropped. Unless such places are designated under the Birds/Habitats directive, these habitats usually get bulldozed. They amount of habitat lost this away around the country in the last few years is truly frightening:(

You are not quite right there.
    If you dont have you entire farm area grazeable you will have a portion of your BPS cut.
    REPS is long gone its GLAS now (most of the clearing is done before applicants join the scheme) One of the major bugbears i have with GLAS was clearing scrub or trees to sow a wild bird cover crop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ive been shooting woodcock a long long time and prefer tit to pheasants. It is possibly the best type of shooting youll get.
    The fact that farmers are draining and clearing every bit of hazel and cover so they can get there grants, coupled with tourist shooters and gawbeens out taking bags of 10 and 12 per outing is the problem and then posting it on FB.

You'd dishonest to yoursel iif you said the numbers are the same as they were in the past. It's not one specific problem and we as shooters need to show restraint or we will have no woodcock because the PTB will close the season.

In fairness I think 99% would agree with you there :D:D:D

• Advertisement

You might be better sticking to the pheasant hunting and that will be your bit done for helping the numbers of woodcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

blackpearl wrote: »
    You might be better sticking to the pheasant hunting and that will be your bit done for helping the numbers of woodcock.

Are you going to cut back?

Are you going to cut back?

I have a rule i only shoot the woodcock that the dogs set if the bird flushes in front of me i do not shoot it.

Advertisement