Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing halogen GU10 spotlights with led dimmable ones

Options
  • 11-12-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a dimmer switch in the sitting room.
    I have halogen lights at the moment but changing to led.

I bought an led dimmable one to see if it would work as I heard some led dimmables won't work with existing dimmer switch.

Anyway the led bulb works fine and is dimmable.
    So I am going to change the rest of them. In the local store they are €6 each. But I guess I could get cheaper on amazon.

Can anyone explain the importance of dimmable angle and also whether to buy warm or cool light ( 2700k v 6500k). 3W versus 5W. Lumens, etc.

Hard to know what to buy.

My dimmable switch is a schneider by the way.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi

I have a dimmer switch in the sitting room.
    I have halogen lights at the moment but changing to led.

I bought an led dimmable one to see if it would work as I heard some led dimmables won't work with existing dimmer switch.

Anyway the led bulb works fine and is dimmable.
    So I am going to change the rest of them. In the local store they are €6 each. But I guess I could get cheaper on amazon.

Can anyone explain the importance of dimmable angle and also whether to buy warm or cool light ( 2700k v 6500k). 3W versus 5W. Lumens, etc.

Hard to know what to buy.

My dimmable switch is a schneider by the way.

Thanks

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Buying on Amazon may not be the best place if you are just looking for normal led, local wholesaler would be better.
    Something like Philips HUE or similar might be better from amazon for choice and price. You could control the lights from a phone (on/off and dimmable).

The colour depends on what you prefer, the traditional normal would be warm. Cool is often seen as more sterile but its personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Davy wrote: »
    Buying on Amazon may not be the best place if you are just looking for normal led, local wholesaler would be better.
    Something like Philips HUE or similar might be better from amazon for choice and price. You could control the lights from a phone (on/off and dimmable).

The colour depends on what you prefer, the traditional normal would be warm. Cool is often seen as more sterile but its personal preference.

Is the warm light a sort of orange colour while the cool is a very white light?

What about the angle. The one I bought is 35° but I think the light doesn't go out wide enough. Maybe a wider angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Is the warm light a sort of orange colour while the cool is a very white light?

What about the angle. The one I bought is 35° but I think the light doesn't go out wide enough. Maybe a wider angle?

Yes warm white is a closer to what you would get from a halogen spot and cool white is closer to daylight. It all depends on what you want. Cool white might be suitable for a kitchen but most people would prefer warm white in other areas of the house.

If it's a living area I would go with the widest angle possible. 35 degrees would be quite a narrow beam so you would be better off with a beam angle above 60 degrees.

The dimmer switch needs to be compatible with led downlights. The existing dimmer switch is most likely a leading edge dimmer switch and needs to be replaced with a trailing edge dimmer switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement