Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bandsaw

• 11-12-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am in the market for a bandsaw and have a good budget. I am looking for something to take up to 30mm blades. I have 3 phase but would prefer a single phase machine as I am not sure of having access to the shop with three phase in the medium to long term and may only have single available down the line.
    My budget is up to around €2500.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure of the price but startrite sells a great band saw. it is 3 phase
    I have seen it in my local tools store in thurles .

if I had 3 phase it would be the saw I would buy.
    next one down is single phase and a nice saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

not sure of the price but startrite sells a great band saw. it is 3 phase
    I have seen it in my local tools store in thurles .

if I had 3 phase it would be the saw I would buy.
    next one down is single phase and a nice saw

Ronaynes?

Grueller wrote: »
    Ronaynes?

yes . great shop

yes . great shop

Have bought loads off of them. Great service to be fair.

sweet
    are you local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Grueller wrote: »
    Hi all. I am in the market for a bandsaw and have a good budget. I am looking for something to take up to 30mm blades. I have 3 phase but would prefer a single phase machine as I am not sure of having access to the shop with three phase in the medium to long term and may only have single available down the line.
    My budget is up to around €2500.

The largest single phase bandsaw on the market is the Hammer N4400. It has a 4 HP motor and works well. ( I have one ) Remember a 30 mm blade is very stiff and will soak up a lot of power - they are only used with 3 HP and up.It is the teeth configuration that determines how a blade will cut.For instance I use a 25 mm 3 tpi blade to convert small tree trunks into planks. If I had three phase I think I'd go for it - you can never have enough power with a bandsaw and maybe get a smaller bandsaw down the line for finer work.

recipio wrote: »
    The largest single phase bandsaw on the market is the Hammer N4400. It has a 4 HP motor and works well. ( I have one ) Remember a 30 mm blade is very stiff and will soak up a lot of power - they are only used with 3 HP and up.It is the teeth configuration that determines how a blade will cut.For instance I use a 25 mm 3 tpi blade to convert small tree trunks into planks. If I had three phase I think I'd go for it - you can never have enough power with a bandsaw and maybe get a smaller bandsaw down the line for finer work.

what price are they . hammer and felder stuff is great.

what price are they . hammer and felder stuff is great.

Mine was around 2350 euro inc vat back in 2012. Lee Saw Company based in Midleton have the Irish agency and were good to deal with ( free delivery ). In practice you tend to stick with one blade setup especially with a large bandsaw so if you want to do everything on it you should use something like a 6 -8 TPI 1/2" blade .

I didn't think they were that cheep. That's great value.
    My record bandsaw cost 1700 and is nothing compared to a Industrial saw

I didn't think they were that cheep. That's great value.
    My record bandsaw cost 1700 and is nothing compared to a Industrial saw

Hammer is the budget branch of Felder ;) They have some nice aluminium supports for the N4400 but at about 400 euro each I declined. Its still a good buy for a single phase machine.

• Advertisement

sweet
    are you local

No. About 150 miles away but with carriers nowadays that might as well be local.

I pulled the trigger on a startrite 503 bandsaw after. Waiting for my electrician to come wire it up now. It looks a fine piece of kit though.

that's a sweet machine. the guys in ronaynes have that in their demo area.
    where did you get it

that's a sweet machine. the guys in ronaynes have that in their demo area.
    where did you get it

Exactly there. €800 cheaper than one competitor and €480 cheaper than another.

wow that's a lot

Advertisement