Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Router

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

For a newbie on a budget, its great value and wont brake the bank.

Its got a 3 year guarantee, what more could you ask for, go for it.

And let the rest of the family know what else to get you for your hobby.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its one of those items that some woodworkers use a lot and others barely touch so ideal to buy a cheap one and see how you get on with it.

I would dearly love a 1/2inch router but use one so rarely that I just can't justify it and make do with and old Black&Decker 1/4inch which would be about the same quality and the Lidl one and perfectly adequate for DIY work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

JimiMac wrote: »
    A newbie to woodwork in general but thinking of taking up asa hobby. Have recently been hooked on lots of Youtube videos etc.
    Any thoughts on this Lidl router coming up on the 14th Dec. particularly for a newbie?[URL="https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?
    articleId=5219"]https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=5219[/URL]

Link won't open, never mind. Just be aware that all the supermarket tools are made in China to a ( low ) standard. Routers in particular have to be precision made otherwise they feel unbalanced and rough. They can get up to 35,000 RPM after all. Try and save up for a quality router like a Makita and you will have a quality tool for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

That yoke will break your heart €35 for a router i have bits for routers 3 times that price as recipio said save and buy a better brand.This the one https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=5219

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Appreciate the replies but now not sure whether to get it or not?

What sort of price would you pay for a lower priced 'decent' one so ?

• Advertisement

JimiMac wrote: »
    Appreciate the replies but now not sure whether to get it or not?

What sort of price would you pay for a lower priced 'decent' one so ?

Ignore the tool snobs, just get it and learn for yourself.

You aren't a professional so can afford the time to take as many passes as you need with the router where someone charging by the hour wants to do the job in one pass.

Its a good router for the money and you can learn a lot from it.

my3cents wrote: »
    Ignore the tool snobs, just get it and learn for yourself.

You aren't a professional so can afford the time to take as many passes as you need with the router where someone charging by the hour wants to do the job in one pass.

Its a good router for the money and you can learn a lot from it.

I once bought a Trend 1/4" router on at a show for £49. The thing vibrated so badly I gave up after a few attempts. Its now gathering dust on the shelf. There is no quicker way to buyers remorse than buying cheap routers :D

recipio wrote: »
    I once bought a Trend 1/4" router on at a show for £49. The thing vibrated so badly I gave up after a few attempts. Its now gathering dust on the shelf. There is no quicker way to buyers remorse than buying cheap routers :D

I have a Trend 1/4" T20 (iirc €89) and its a great little router but I only use it for doing engraving. I treat it like a giant Dremel.

The problem I think is that if you know how to use a router and it is a definite skill that takes time to learn you want to get on and do the job with the minimum effort so loose patience with anything that isn't overpowered. The flip side is a beginner could end up put off and in serious trouble diving straight in with a really powerful machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no experience with routers, but in general I find Lidl are great tools for the price and for diy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I bought a €50 router in Argos 15 years ago and it's still going strong despite a lot of (ab)use. No issues with vibrations etc. Things like the depth stop aren't great, but you could spend a lot on a router and have nothing left in the budget for bits.

• Advertisement

I,ve bought the biggest and best brands, and most expensive throughout my early career,

and I never had any branded tool that gave a longer guarantee than 12 months.

And I,ve gone through a lot of branded tools in less time. So

12 month guarantee was no use there.

If you are learning the craft, and not too sure how its going to go for you.

Lidl or Aldi tools will do what you need to do, in the early part of your learning.

Splash out on good kit, when you get better.

But sure what would I know about it, I,ve only been at it since I was a 15

year old nipper, and I,m 63 next birthday, and still learning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've a budget router from argos, challenge brand and it's perfectly fine for a diyer . I don't do any major work but anything I've needed it for, it has been fine.
    I've also a challenge sds drill from argos that was bought 13 years ago for 42 pounds, has done a mountain of work and apart from replacing the lead a couple of times is perfect.
    Some of the Lidl tools are not great and I don't really rate the Parkside stuff but I have an unbelievable socket set that came from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Vidcon

I've gotten a lot of use out of this inexpensive trim router over the last 2 years. Might be worth considering.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LVVJ99U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BuXmAbJ3PQH8X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I bought the aldi one which looks very similar to that and am very pleased with it for my use.

Maybe it's a common issue with routers but I discovered the plunge depth isnt as big as you might think with normal length bits as you have a lot of depth in the machine to plunge through first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I picked one up anyway, thought I'd chance it. Havn't used it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just before you start using it - spend a while learning about the things that can go wrong with it (accidentally doing a climbing cut and having it jump free, breathing in the dust from an exotic species and developing some fun respiratory problems, that kind of thing). I'm struggling to think of any handheld power tool that's scarier than a router in terms of how much damage it can do to you in less time than it takes for you to react and I'm coming up short. I mean, there are scarier machines like table saws and such, but they're not hand-held.

I have two (a bosch two-handed plunge router and a smaller trim router) and they're useful for things but they scare the living carp out of me every time I use the things.

Vidcon wrote: »
    I've gotten a lot of use out of this inexpensive trim router over the last 2 years. Might be worth considering.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LVVJ99U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BuXmAbJ3PQH8X

That is a clone of the Makita RTO700C. In general laminate trimmers are a bit limited having no plunge facility. However, you can buy a base separately for that model.When you get into using jigs and bushes for inlay etc that routers really shine so its worth checking the accessories before committing the hard earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I'd echo the advise about climbing and "wandering". If doing dados use straight edges on both sides of the cut where possible and loads of practice before approaching a partially built project you don't want to destroy (I've done this the wrong way around!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of any handheld power tool that's scarier than a router in terms of how much damage it can do to you in less time than it takes for you to react and I'm coming up short. I mean, there are scarier machines like table saws and such, but they're not hand-held.

Allow me to introduce the wood carving angle grinder wheel

71TDMWCZKFL._SX300_.gif

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, I know about those, I've used an angle grinder once or twice. Thing is, your hands are on handles back away from the spinning blade thing and if you're not american there's even a guard between you and the spinning thing.

With a trim router, your hands are right up on top of the blade. Make an accidental climbing cut and lose your grip and that's a few hundred watts spinning a HSS or carbide blade at a few thousand rpm a few millimeters inside your fingers.

And there's not very much "spare" room in your fingers for a HSS blade, you need pretty much all of that space yourself, so even small nicks can have seriously nasty effects like losing the use of most of a hand.

Granted, if you swung that angle grinder blade into your leg at the right angle you could sever the femoral from the other side of the bone, but you'd really want to be pushing for the darwin awards for that, like carving a tree before felling it or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

Hello from a new member and keen woodworker.

I recently purchased the aforementioned router,and can say i am impressed.1\4 inch collet,variable speed upto 30,000rpm,ideal for a beginner ;)

Wossack wrote: »
    Allow me to introduce the wood carving angle grinder wheel

71TDMWCZKFL._SX300_.gif

:eek::eek:

This tool is more at home in the hands of chainsaw carvers. They are for rough timber removal. Not for fine router operations.

And they are used where personal protection clothing is a requirement in the hands of a skilled operator.

They are a lethal bit of kit in the hands of a novice woodworker, without the appropriate safety gear, clothing , overalls and gloves, that can withstand an all out assault by any chainsaw, as well as this tool, which is every bit as lethal as a chainsaw.

They also have 300mm beaver discs that fit onto a lawnmower strimmer.

Advertisement