Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best game you ever saw live?

• 11-12-2017 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Live as in you were physically present at the game.

I'm mainly a Junior Soccer and League of Ireland man and I must say, last year's Munster Champions Cup Final between Abbeyfeale United and St. Michael's (finished 3-2 AET) is probably the best I've seen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

For the sheer emotions that I went through at the game, sitting behind the Goal for THAT Jason McAteer goal against Holland in sept 2001, that game will always stand out to me straight from Keanos crunching tackle right from the off, have not seen an Irish performance like it live since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Saw Valencia vs Deporting 4-2 about 15 yrs ago, also West ham 4-2 against Ipswich, West Ham had di canio, kanoute, defoe, Cole, lampard, winter burn

You might want to check out who you're quoting there ;)

As someone who goes home and away to Ireland games it's more about the result than the performance. For result and pure joy I don't think anything will top beating Germany in 2015.

At the other end of the scale for a great performance and heartbreaking result...**** you, Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Ireland v England 1995 lansdowne road
    Best and worst game I was at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

End of year primary school 20 a side ..circa 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ireland v Germany in Japan was my favorite...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

FAI Cup Final 2006, Derry City 4-3 St. Pats, very entertaining game in absolutely diabolical weather. Think it was the last game in the old Lansdowne Road as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

For atmosphere and enjoyment it has to be last years Europa game where Dundalk beat Bate Borisov 3 - 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Pool 4 - toon 3 part 2 ,fowlers winner had the lad with us on crutches carried down about 20 rows on people's raised hands,never ever forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Real vs Malaga 2010 2-0. Ronaldo dismissed after scoring both goals for elbowing and going off like a child having wet his pants. The jeers from the travelling supporters were unreal. Best player on the pitch was Arbeloa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

astradave wrote: »
    For the sheer emotions that I went through at the game, sitting behind the Goal for THAT Jason McAteer goal against Holland in sept 2001, that game will always stand out to me straight from Keanos crunching tackle right from the off, have not seen an Irish performance like it live since.

Was in the south stand too that day. Have never experienced an atmosphere like it since. Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Have to say Barca 4 Bayern 0 in the CL semi in 2009. Seeing a prime Messi in the flesh was mesmerising, probably enhanced by the fact that the fella beside me produced a spliff the size of a cannon during the game and was more than happy to share the spoils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool 4 - Porto 1 back in the Champions League in 2007/2008, for a bunch of reasons.

The game itself was great, a lot more tense than the scoreline suggests. Pool had to win, and it was 1-1 until the 78th minute. Porto also missed a sitter in the first half that should have put them 2-1 ahead.

But also, it came just after Rafa's "As always I am focused on training and coaching my team" interview during his war with Hicks and Gillette, and there were fears he might get sacked by them. So there was a massive rally and parade for him before the game, and the atmosphere throughout the match was electric, with Rafa's chant going close to non-stop.

Also remember Finnan having an absolute stormer. Torres got the first 2, Gerrard scored a pen, and Crouchy got the last with a classic Crouchy crouching header.

A nice little memory at the moment too, with 'pool being drawn against Porto once again 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Inter 4-3 Siena.

It went 0-1, 2-1 before Siena equalised a minute later, 2-3, Sneijder equalised on 88 and Walter Samuel scored the winner in the third minute of injury time. The emotions I went through and the game itself I will always remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

For United games I'd be the 5-2 v Spurs at Old Trafford. Sitting at the right end for the goals too :)

Sweden games it'd be Portugal v Sweden when Ronaldo got a hattrick.

Ireland games while I've been to a good few back in the day the one that sticks out was at Turners Cross v England B. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

FAI Cup Final 2006, Derry City 4-3 St. Pats, very entertaining game in absolutely diabolical weather. Think it was the last game in the old Lansdowne Road as well.
    Was going to post the same thing. Highly-entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Liverpool V Milan Istanbul what can I say it was some game, The game against Chelsea in the semi final of the CL before was the most noise I’ve ever heard at a football match it was unbelievable.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Slightly off topic here but had to share it. Whatever about best game I’ve watched live, Not many people can say like me, that I’ve watched Messi in the flesh 6 times & only seem him score once. Penalty against Manchester City at the Etihad in 2014. That’s bad luck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Toss up between two FAI cup finals, Derry v Pat's, first half was dire but it all happened in the second half/ ET and the match finished 2-2 with Derry getting a winner in ET. My second is the final from the following year Sligo v Drogheda. Drogheda took an early lead and held it for most Of The game, Sligo equalised late, then a cheeky lift over the wall and Danny North gets his second, Drogheda's appeals are too much for the ref they get a player sent off the almost immediately Drogheda equalise in injury time but Elding gets the winner with a thunderbolt. 4 goals and a red card in the last 15 minutes or so for sheer drama.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I have a couple of favourites. The first was an FAI Cup match in 1979 or 1980 Waterford V Bohs. A minute to go and a Bohs winger received a pass that was so far offside near the endline that the linesman must have got confused and played on. Winger cuts into the penalty area where Brian Gardner makes the most amazing last ditch saving tackle. Ref awards a penalty! The home crowd went absolutely mental (The FAI cup was huge in Waterford having not won it since 1937). Turlough O'Connor prepares to take the penalty, Peter Thomas runs off his goal and moves the ball, the crowd went mentaller (??). Turlough steps up and hits the post, pandemonium! Ref blows for full-time a minute later. There was no way Waterford were going to lose in extra time and, sure enough, Ritchie Hall scored the only goal to total delirium in the crowd.

On a higher plane I was in Giant's stadium for Ray Houghton's goal but, in my view, an even better game was Ireland V France in the 1982 WQ qualifiers. The old 50,000 terraced Lansdowne Road kip was still in use and the place was heaving. We scored early through Mick Robinson and I was genuinely nervous for the safety of a girl I was with. It was my first time in Lansdowne and the place was so rammed that I didn't find out till half-time that I was standing in an aisle. We eventually won 3-2 against a French team that included Platini. An amazing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Either the 2006 FAI Cup Final or Gretna 1 V 5 Derry City at fir park.

Talking about seeing players no score I have witness the rarest goal score in Javier Mascherano scoring a goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Longford Town 2004 Cup final...
    One down with five minutes remaining, two balls on the pitch and Alan Kirby smashed it home to level it. Two minutes later Eric Lavine holds it up, keeper off his line, Paul Keegan slots it! I still get shivers!

The play-off in 2013 against Bray was amazing as well. Lost our starting CB with injury, went one down, lost our striker to injury and then went two down. Got one back with 30 minutes left and then David O'Sullivan buried it on the volley to level it. Unbelievable. Lost the return leg 3-2 unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

For sheer entertainment and Goals then Pats v Bohs in Richmond park around 03ish the 4-3 FAI Cup semi-final.

For atmosphere, result and pure joy then it is the recent Wales game in Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I was on Hols in Mallorca when barca rolled into town in the first season Eto played for barca...

I think Larson played also... but just to watch Ronaldinho in the warm up was worth the ridiculous ticket price alone ... the man was phenominal...

Think barca won 3-0 or 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Longford Town 2004 Cup final...
    One down with five minutes remaining, two balls on the pitch and Alan Kirby smashed it home to level it. Two minutes later Eric Lavine holds it up, keeper off his line, Paul Keegan slots it! I still get shivers!

The play-off in 2013 against Bray was amazing as well. Lost our starting CB with injury, went one down, lost our striker to injury and then went two down. Got one back with 30 minutes left and then David O'Sullivan buried it on the volley to level it. Unbelievable. Lost the return leg 3-2 unfortunately. :(

One mans meat....
    That is still one of the lowest points I ever experienced in Sport. It's not like one of the balls was thrown on at the half-way line. Kirby did well to be the only player not distracted and (I presume) picking the right ball to kick. Still sickened by it, a truly bizarre non-decision by the Ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Possibly Chelsea 2 Manchester United 3 at the Bridge in August 1971, two really attacking teams the likes of Best, Charlton and Law on one side and Osgood, Hudson and Cooke on the other it was just pulsating. Chelsea regular keeper Bonetti was injured prior to the match John Phillips took over for what might have been his debut. George Best got sent off for what looked like tying his laces (perhaps he said something to the ref whilst doing it - ref that night was Norman Burtenshaw if memory serves who had something of a reputation).
    Charlton scored a stunner after Chopper Harris tried to help him part company with his legs, we lost but a great game.
    Best 0-0 was an FA Cup tie Brentford V Bolton Wanderers Brentford at the wrong end of the 4th division and Bolton tussling with Chelsea, Wolves and Forest for promotion to the first division (now premier league). In the second round Brentford had beaten Wimbledon at Wimbledon (a then non league side who had been giant killers over Leeds the season before who had the famous Dikie Guy in goal) at a packed and freezing Plough Lane (was at that as well another great game). The third round tie against Bolton had pretty much everything goal mouth scrambles, woodwork hit, some pretty fierce challenges played on what could only be described as a ploughed field. Sadly the Bee's lost the replay 2-0 but the games against Wimbledon and Bolton cheered up an otherwise miserable season that saw Brentford finish near the bottom 4 in the 4th division. Chelsea got promotion though so it was an odd season as a spectator with crowds of 30,000 to 60,000 at the Bridge and maybe 5,000 on a good day at Griffin Park. Happy days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Find it difficult to enjoy games involving my own team but I'll go for the 2002 Scottish Cup Final, Rangers 3-2 tic. Real ding dong affair where they went ahead and we leveled things up. Lovenkrands scored a very late winner. A close second and a far more relaxing affair was the 2005 CL final in Istanbul. I won two tickets in the UEFA ballot, travel and accommodation was cheap, so we went over. Amazing game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Liverpool v Arsenal May 1989 where Arsenal won 2-0 with Michael Thomas scoring late in injury time to win the title. Loads of Arsenal fans had already left the ground, but we always stay to the death....best football moment ever for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal. feb 2014...Liverpool 4-0 up after 20 minutes...dont think anything will beat that feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk 3-0 vs Bate last year best I have seen live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Cork City V Bayern Munich 1991

1-1 after we going 1 up against Bayern crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Figo's return to the Camp Nou.

What noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Either the 2006 FAI Cup Final or Gretna 1 V 5 Derry City at fir park.

Talking about seeing players no score I have witness the rarest goal score in Javier Mascherano scoring a goal

Although I mentioned Figo's return to Camp Nou, that was more for the occasion, noise etc, but I would tend to agree with you about the Gretna game.

As a Derry City fan, it was just the perfect day out. From leaving Derry at an ungodly hour too arriving back at another ungodly hour, everything in between was just perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I was in Istanbul for the 3-3 but don't remember much. Best atmosphere was the semi final against Chelsea but I think my favourite game was the 4-2 against arsenal in the CL as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Easy. City 3 QPR 2, May 13th 2012. A never to be forgotten day. Closely followed by the FA Cup semi final win over utd in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

blueser wrote: »
    Easy. City 3 QPR 2, May 13th 2012. A never to be forgotten day.

Because Joey Barton lost it and got sent off? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Berserker wrote: »
    Because Joey Barton lost it and got sent off? :D
    Obviously.
    :P
    Whenever I hear the name Jamie Mackie, I still break out in a cold sweat!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dundalk beating Bate in Tallaght really stands out as a memorable one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Adding in Liverpool ripping both Man City and Everton apart 3-0 and 4-0

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

United 3-0 Barcelona 21 March 1984. Barcelona were 2 up after the first leg of the Cup Winners Cup QF and came to Old Trafford with the best player in the World, Diego Maradona

Was behind the goal at the scoreboard end, first row of seating. The atmosphere throughout the match was electric, but when Robson scored the 2nd the whole place went mad. Stapleton then scored the winner. Never known anything like the atmosphere throughout the match

That was nearly matched by the FA Cup SF replay at Maine Road in 1985. Liverpool had scored late on in the first match at Goodison to take it to a replay, and having dominated that match we thought we'd blown it. However Robson scored a screamer from 25 yards then Hughes scored the winner. Best ever day on the Kippax:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ireland v Italy in Lille probably the most intense outburst of emotion at a game I was at and finished with a high emotion.

Had a great time in Salzburg with Bohs 1-1, but I can't enjoy it as I still wake up with cold sweats watching Mark Rossiter head the ball in slow motion to Janko in the 86th minute in Dalyer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement