Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my ear pierced - Should i be worried?

Options
  • 11-12-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a middle aged fella working in finance in a fairly well to do aircraft leasing firm in Dublin. I've always wanted an ear piercing but put it off over work fears. Decided to do it (completely sober I might add) last Saturday.

I went in this morning and i'd people looking at my ear whilst talking to me all day. Eventually it was brought up during lunch and we had a laugh. But I've a meeting with the boss tomorrow afternoon and he hasn't said why, it was a very out of the blue request for a chat.

There's nothing in the employee handbook to say piercings are forbidden, in fact I think one is allowed. I only got a small sized black ball. I'm only in this place about 4 months and have been getting on with all the lads in the office, and I think I'm doing an alright job. Just wondering if anyone has an experience trying something mildly outlandish with their appearance and getting told off by the boss?

I wore long hair when I worked in a garage before and was asked to shave it off by the boss once day, had no problem with that as it was a frontline services job and for hygienic reasons. But I'd be really disappointed if I was asked to remove my ear ring just because it was a bit out of the blue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

So was it about the ear ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Op, regardless of what the meeting was about ... You had your fun, now get rid if the earring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Tenigate wrote: »
    Op, regardless of what the meeting was about ... You had your fun, now get rid if the earring.

Any reason why you think they should?

I personally think everyone should have the right to express themselves through tattoos or ear rings or whatever they wish. What's the issue with it, as long as the person can do their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

job seeker, interesting username. I won't even point out the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's a small earring. Women usually have at least one per ear. It's an inoffensive black stud. Honestly I don't see how this can be a problem with your boss. A piercing directly in the face might be another kettle of fish.

• Advertisement

I would find it very difficult to take a middle aged man wearing an ear stud or ring seriously. In fact, I couldn't take them seriously. It's a finance position in an aircraft leasing firm. It's office work, where a professional appearance and demeanour are generally expected. If you drive a forklift in a warehouse or plaster farm sheds, it's a whole other thing.

I worked with a guy who had maybe 6-7 piercings down his left ear, probably many years ago. The holes are still just visible and ever since i spotted them I can't take him seriously at all. He doesn't realise it but the holes in his ear mean I've refused to bring him onto projects for the last 4 years where he'd meet with customers. My reason was perfectly acceptable too.

He's totally oblivious to it but he earns a lot less than he could (for the same workload) and is held back in his career generally as a result of doing stupid things like getting his ears pierced.

By all means, get holes put in your ears as a grown man. Your choice. Don't expect everyone to be okay with your strange behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

JayZeus wrote: »
    Don't expect everyone to be okay with your strange behaviour.

I actually had to read that twice....
    He has a stud in his ear. He's not walking around with his lad in his hand reciting Shakespeare to the plant pot.

Personally OP, i think you should reconsider the choice of wearing the earing.
    I don't wear jewelry to work, sometimes your career dictates your dress. Discretion or desire? It's entirely your choice if not contractual.

He has a stud in his ear. He's not walking around with his lad in his hand reciting Shakespeare to the plant pot.

Personally OP, i think you should reconsider the choice of wearing the earing.
    I don't wear jewelry to work, sometimes your career dictates your dress. Discretion or desire? It's entirely your choice if not contractual.

You can read it as many times as you need. :P

A grown man working in a disciplined and professional office environment who appears one day with a piece of superfluous jewelry stuck in the hole he just put in his ear will raise some eyebrows.

It's questionable judgement to be honest and brings focus on the OP that may not be at all desireable, especially when only in the job a few months. It's weird carry on. You don't have to like it to acknowledge it being so.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

All the IBEC blowhards preaching about madness and doom. If you came in to work wearing red socks these weirdos would be posting similar stuff. While you might look like Nick Heyward I wouldn't even entertain any questions about it. Do yourself a favour and ask for this thread to be closed as it will attract the usual suspects like fleas to a camel's crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

61824529.jpg

The OP talked about a small black stud, which would be pretty much that.
    I can't get my head around that this could cause a lot of bother.

Women with short hair usually wear at least one on each ear, doesn't bother anyone. I had people showing up at meetings dressed in such unprofessional ways yet they were pretty influential.
    If it would be my office, I wouldn't care really. It's not that he has 7 of them and a tattooed neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

I've had a sh*t week at work and this has made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that.. (unfortunate image stuck in my head now but worth it)..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hey! I said hey!

I would find it very difficult to take a middle aged man wearing an ear stud or ring seriously. In fact, I couldn't take them seriously. It's a finance position in an aircraft leasing firm. It's office work, where a professional appearance and demeanour are generally expected. If you drive a forklift in a warehouse or plaster farm sheds, it's a whole other thing.

I worked with a guy who had maybe 6-7 piercings down his left ear, probably many years ago. The holes are still just visible and ever since i spotted them I can't take him seriously at all. He doesn't realise it but the holes in his ear mean I've refused to bring him onto projects for the last 4 years where he'd meet with customers. My reason was perfectly acceptable too.

He's totally oblivious to it but he earns a lot less than he could (for the same workload) and is held back in his career generally as a result of doing stupid things like getting his ears pierced.

By all means, get holes put in your ears as a grown man. Your choice. Don't expect everyone to be okay with your strange behaviour.

I’m glad I don’t work for you...

I’m glad I don’t work for you...

Me too.

Tenigate wrote: »
    job seeker, interesting username. I won't even point out the irony.

It's only a username.. :rolleyes:

Now, would you like to answer my previous quistion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Just take it out for the meeting.
    If your boss wants you to get rid of it then you've preempted him.
    If it for something else, then throw it back in after.
    Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

What next op, leather pants? Stop the madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Pelvis wrote: »
    What next op, leather pants? Stop the madness!

Gold pants rolled up beyond the knees with a beret, flip flops and smoking jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I find that finance related employers to be the most conservative, servile and querellous people on the planet. Your boss is probably thinking that the Bolsheviks will take over Buckingham Palace if he allows you to wear the earring and is probably frightened of his customers and superiors reaction to the offending earpiece.

Best to be aware of the consequences and choices which need to be made.

What chance equality if having a penis means you cannot wear earrings at work?

I have my own ear pierced with a stud, had it done when I was 12. I've worked in different jobs such as shops, industrial kitchens and I.T. in the local council. Nobody has had an issue with it yet. :) I'd also not downgrade myself to work for someone so judgemental. :):) I'd say you'd be grand op.. What exactly can they do anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

its a tricky situation. especially for an employer.
    if you work for a company you represent them.
    what you wear, the way you cut your hair(Mohawks man buns, etc) tattoos , piercings all kind of things will effect how the customer views their representative

any decent company will be trying to control these things to keep their representatives looking the way they want.
    you as an employee mightn't like it but its the way employers have to think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Boss: The dress code specifically forbids the wearing of earrings unless you're of Gypsy extraction.

OP: Well, I'm a Gypsy.

Boss: Oh, really? Prove it.

OP: "I 'vant' to suck your blood!"

Boss: Nuh-uh. That's a vampire. But, uh, they're also covered. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

I work in this exact business, have done for nearly 20 years now and can honestly say I've never come across a male wearing an earring in any finance, legal, technical, commercial etc. role. If you want to be taken seriously, remove the earring. It's just not the business for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Come on, what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

To a degree I can understand it not looking professional so would agree with the advice to remove it. Better to be safe than sorry.

But to suggest that it is ok for someone to be paid less and not be brought onto suitable projects because the holes from piercings YEARS previous are still visible is both ridiculous and extremely unfair. Thank goodness the poor man doesn't know these are the reasons that he is being held back because I don't think the excuse of "he had pierced ears 7 years ago, before he worked here" would stand up all too well at an employment tribunal.
    Its almost discriminatory.

Would he be given the same treatment if he had a number of scars on his ear, I wonder?

The OP is working in what sounds like a very conservative industry, company and role and he is very new to the company.

It is ok for many people to say that having piercings didn't and shouldn't impact their jobs but not every workplace is the same.

In an ideal world it shouldn't matter but this isn't an ideal world.

I have an image in my head of Saudi Shieks in full traditional outfit being wooed by this company looking across the table in horror at a man with an earring.

There's always a majority who reply to these threads or thank the posts of people who argue with, criticise or straight out ridicule those who write the truth.

I don't care if you're glad you don't work for me. I don't care if you think it's old fashioned BS. I don't care if you're hurt or offended that there are people who judge others based on how they speak, dress or act.

It's not 'borderline discrimination' to decide that a middle aged man turning up in the office with his ear pierced is odd behaviour. It's not 'borderline discrimination' to keep an employee who has, by their own choice, 'modified' their body in a way that makes their appearance objectionable to others, out of meetings with people who decide where their company will spend their money.

It's discrimination. It's recognising the difference between two or more alternatives. Otherwise simply known as making a choice. If that has a negative effect on their income, career or limits their options in life, that's absolutely their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The OP is working in what sounds like a very conservative industry, company and role and he is very new to the company.

It is ok for many people to say that having piercings didn't and shouldn't impact their jobs but not every workplace is the same.

In an ideal world it shouldn't matter but this isn't an ideal world.

I have an image in my head of Saudi Shieks in full traditional outfit being wooed by this company looking across the table in horror at a man with an earring.

I completely agree with you. However, I think punishing someone for piercings they had almost a decade ago is a step too far and not a suitable reason to hold back another persons career.
    By this logic, the mans career will suffer for the rest of his life, over a brief piercing on his ear he had before he started his job...What??

I have a scar on the side of my nose from a chickenpox spot that I picked as a child. I guess to some people, it might look like a healed piercing mark.
    Should I not progress in my career because of this mark on my face?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TreyAz

Wow. You sound like my mum, and she's in her 80s. "Strange behaviour" 😂. Hate to break it to you but appearance isn't a cast iron guarantee of trustworthiness and professionalism, have you seen the state various bankers and politicians left the country in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First obvious question would be to check if there is a corporate dress code. Really, it's hard to believe that in 2017 there are professionals so small-minded as to be worrying about an ear stud.

Advertisement