Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my ear pierced - Should i be worried?

Options

Comments

TreyAz wrote: »
    Wow. You sound like my mum, and she's in her 80s. "Strange behaviour" ��. Hate to break it to you but appearance isn't a cast iron guarantee of trustworthiness and professionalism, have you seen the state various bankers and politicians left the country in ?

More of the same, and then some more. :rolleyes:

...Really, it's hard to believe that in 2017 there are professionals so small-minded as to be worrying about an ear stud.

It's plain ignorance to suggest that a professional is small minded if they refuse to overlook the effect a middle aged man making the decision to get his ear pierced can have. Is it a minor enough concern? Yes. That doesn't mean it's irrelevant and won't have an impact, depending on the industry and customer base.

Do it, by all means. But don't be upset when it has a consequence you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JayZeus wrote: »
    It's plain ignorance to suggest that a professional is small minded if they refuse to overlook the effect a middle aged man making the decision to get his ear pierced can have.
    What's the 'making a decision' got to do with it? Is there a cut-off age for men wearing black studs in their ears? Is there a cut-off age for men making a decision to pierce their ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Unfortunately there are plenty of overly conservative and superficial employers around, as evidenced by some of the comments here, OP so hopefully you won't be in trouble but don't be surprised if it's a problem
    My sister was recently involved in an interview for a junior employee in her organisation , computer based so not as conservative as finance and not a position that has any face to face customer interaction
    Her decision was overridden, the candidate hired has general skills in the area but not the required skills and has now to be babysat and trained up whereas her choice who was male, had one ear piercing and had all the necessary skills
    She heard the bosses laughing about his piercing afterwards, that wasn't the reason given to him for not being hired obviously, but they're not the ones who have to babysit and train up the new guy wasting her time
    Some people still think a man with a piercing must be gay, or a woman with a tattoo is weird etc
    I recently stood behind a female Garda in a queue who had her nose pierced and a stud in her ear cartilage, I didn't think she wasn't a good guard
    One of my daughter teachers at a recent parent teacher meeting had her nose pierced and numerous ear piercings, happens to be the best teacher in the school, I wasn't judging her on her appearance but on her ability to teach my child
    Both positions with plenty of face to face contact but obviously more open minded employers who can see beyond the superficial
    Years ago it's not a stretch to say these would have been the same people who wouldn't hire based on the colour of someone's skin, or their accents in case it would reflect badly on them as people or the company, assuming that their clients would all be as narrow minded as they are, but having no way of knowing that

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Years ago it's not a stretch to say these would have been the same people who wouldn't hire based on the colour of someone's skin, or their accents in case it would reflect badly on them as people or the company, assuming that their clients would all be as narrow minded as they are, but having no way of knowing that

Yes, it's a stretch. A big stretch. All we're missing is Godwin's Law at this stage. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

muggles wrote: »
    I work in this exact business, have done for nearly 20 years now and can honestly say I've never come across a male wearing an earring in any finance, legal, technical, commercial etc. role. If you want to be taken seriously, remove the earring. It's just not the business for it.

I work in engineering and have several piercings in both ears and have never had any problems with being taken seriously. I got the first 2 many years ago when I was in the military, so obviously I had to remove/hide them while at work, but that was to obey the rules. Now, I wear them every day and I'm sure most people don't even notice

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TreyAz

It's not 'borderline discrimination' to decide that a middle aged man turning up in the office with his ear pierced is odd behaviour. It's not 'borderline discrimination' to keep an employee who has, by their own choice, 'modified' their body in a way that makes their appearance objectionable to others, out of meetings with people who decide where their company will spend their money.

Do you think such "odd behaviour" indicates they are less capable at their job, or just appear so ? Do you discriminate on other criteria also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

TreyAz wrote: »
    Do you think such "odd behaviour" indicates they are less capable at their job, or just appear so ? Do you discriminate on other criteria also ?

If you're meeting clients you need to make a good first impression.
    Even more so if people are trusting you with their savings and livelihoods.

The OP is no less capable than anyone else presumably. But clients don't know that. They may make a snap judgement based on a first impression that this guy isn't serious, and that could hurt the company.

You could say the same about a guy who has tattoos or paints his nails. We've come a long way as a society in accepting people's personal choice's, but if there's just an outside chance the OP's appearance could cause the company to lose an account or client, then I can understand his bosses position. His boss may have no personal problem with piercings. JayZeus might not have a personal issue with them either, but if it could lose the company money then take them out or move somewhere more accepting.
    I work in engineering and have several piercings in both ears and have never had any problems with being taken seriously. I got the first 2 many years ago when I was in the military, so obviously I had to remove/hide them while at work, but that was to obey the rules. Now, I wear them every day and I'm sure most people don't even notice
    I'm the same. Lads wear shorts and tank tops to work. Long hair, tattoos, piercings etc.
    But the sales and marketing lads are all expensive suits, high class watches and groomed to American Psycho standards. It's a different game.

I've no problem at all with anyone getting any bit of themselves pierced, cut, tattooed, implanted with whatever. Your body, your decision, so do what you like, as long as you accept that there ARE consequences.

It's up to me to decide whether or not I'll choose to overlook or react to your decision. It's always a decision to get a piercing, wear a particular item of clothing, get your hair cut a certain way etc.

If I think it makes you look unprofessional, or that it brings your judgement into question in my own opinion, then it's up to me to discriminate against you if I wish to. If I'm advocating for a customer then I'm equally within my rights to express reservation if I believe your decision to 'whatever' may introduce an element of doubt or uncertainty.

No point trying to change my mind on this or try to prove or show how wrong I am. It's all down to the individual to decide, both in terms of whether you stick stuff into your face and how you react to people who do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'm a middle aged fella working in finance in a fairly well to do aircraft leasing firm in Dublin. I've always wanted an ear piercing but put it off over work fears. Decided to do it (completely sober I might add) last Saturday.

I went in this morning and i'd people looking at my ear whilst talking to me all day. Eventually it was brought up during lunch and we had a laugh. But I've a meeting with the boss tomorrow afternoon and he hasn't said why, it was a very out of the blue request for a chat.

There's nothing in the employee handbook to say piercings are forbidden, in fact I think one is allowed. I only got a small sized black ball. I'm only in this place about 4 months and have been getting on with all the lads in the office, and I think I'm doing an alright job. Just wondering if anyone has an experience trying something mildly outlandish with their appearance and getting told off by the boss?

I wore long hair when I worked in a garage before and was asked to shave it off by the boss once day, had no problem with that as it was a frontline services job and for hygienic reasons. But I'd be really disappointed if I was asked to remove my ear ring just because it was a bit out of the blue.

I'd wonder if you were a female working in a garage would your previous boss have asked to shave her hair off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I'd wonder if you were a female working in a garage would your previous boss have asked to shave her hair off?

Only if it was dyed blue.

eeguy wrote: »
    The OP is no less capable than anyone else presumably. But clients don't know that. They may make a snap judgement based on a first impression that this guy isn't serious, and that could hurt the company.
    They may make a snap judgement that the expensive suits and high class watches indicate that the sales guys are overpaid, so they will choose not to do business there.

Or they may make a snap judgement that the expensive suits and high class watches indicate that the sales guys are gob****es who fall for glossy advertising, so they will choose not to do business there.

People make snap judgements for all kinds of reasons.

They may make a snap judgement that the expensive suits and high class watches indicate that the sales guys are overpaid, so they will choose not to do business there.

Or they may make a snap judgement that the expensive suits and high class watches indicate that the sales guys are gob****es who fall for glossy advertising, so they will choose not to do business there.

People make snap judgements for all kinds of reasons.

Or they make the judgement the lads are paid well because they're worth it and they present themselves well because they take the job seriously.

Balance of probabilities, but I don't see any of our sales and marketing lads with piercings and tattoos. And they do very well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't have any piercings or tattoos!!
    People are assuming that everyone has the same standards/bias/thoughts as themselves, for as many people who would make a snap judgement about a piercing or tattoo, plenty wouldn't and are more open minded.
    By excluding someone who might have a slightly different look from the conventional might actually damage a company, some people might like to see a more modern inclusive workforce in a company that they are going to work with.
    The point is you can't anticipate what people think by looking at them, you're just projecting your own standards onto them.

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't have any piercings or tattoos!!
    People are assuming that everyone has the same standards/bias/thoughts as themselves, for as many people who would make a snap judgement about a piercing or tattoo, plenty wouldn't and are more open minded.
    By excluding someone who might have a slightly different look from the conventional might actually damage a company, some people might like to see a more modern inclusive workforce in a company that they are going to work with.
    The point is you can't anticipate what people think by looking at them, you're just projecting your own standards onto them.

If they can't be seen, there's absolutely nothing to discuss or be concerned about.

It doesn't matter that some people won't care about piercings. It really doesn't matter one bit if that's the case as it won't impact on anything. So I couldn't care less about those people. It's the ones who do care or find it objectionable that matter. You won't change their minds, just like you won't change mine. So it doesn't matter if you think I'm closed minded or otherwise. Your opinions in that regard have zero impact on anything. They're completely irrelevant.

Most will never express their objections openly, to the weirdo with holes in his head will never know. Most will fluff it, hiding it behind something else, while holding fast the opinion they've formed about the individual concerned if they're pressed to give an opinion. Yeah, looks okay to me, you know, whatever you like yourself, right?

Not really.

So you see, it doesn't matter what you think, unless you form a negative opinion. It's the objection that matters, and in business, it really does matter. If you don't accept that then we're just wasting our time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Would it not be fair if you would just tell that guy that you can't take him seriously because he has old piercing holes in his ear? Wouldn't you want that people tell you why they might not take you seriously or have a lower opinion of you?

Especially if you're the manager of that person, they deserve an honest feedback instead of a "ah yeah, won't include them in project because he had earrings many moons ago" behind their back. This is something I'd consider as even more unprofessional than someone wearing a stud in his ear.

LirW wrote: »
    Would it not be fair if you would just tell that guy that you can't take him seriously because he has old piercing holes in his ear? Wouldn't you want that people tell you why they might not take you seriously or have a lower opinion of you?

Especially if you're the manager of that person, they deserve an honest feedback instead of a "ah yeah, won't include them in project because he had earrings many moons ago" behind their back. This is something I'd consider as even more unprofessional than someone wearing a stud in his ear.

No, why would I? If he asks me, I'll tell him straight out, otherwise he can go through his life blissfully unaware of how some people view him.

The one thing I'll say in his favour is that he at least doesn't wear ear studs or jewelry now. It's a kind of passive impact it has on him.

If he wore studs or earrings to the office and expected to meet a customer he'd be spared any degree of courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

No point trying to change my mind on this or try to prove or show how wrong I am. It's all down to the individual to decide, both in terms of whether you stick stuff into your face and how you react to people who do.

I'm really curious what it is that you do for a living?

somefeen wrote: »
    I'm really curious what it is that you do for a living?

I'm not even mildly curious what you do for a living to be honest. Do you have something to contribute to the thread, about the subject matter?

If they can't be seen, there's absolutely nothing to discuss or be concerned about.

It doesn't matter that some people won't care about piercings. It really doesn't matter one bit if that's the case as it won't impact on anything. So I couldn't care less about those people. It's the ones who do care or find it objectionable that matter. You won't change their minds, just like you won't change mine.
    Can I presume that you wouldn't have any people with disabilities in the workplace, right? Some people find all those crutches and guide dogs so objectionable.

And no black people at all? We can't have any of our racist customers having to see something they find objectionable, so we'd never put any black people out in a public place, right?

And definitely no Muslims, with their funny scarfs and never having a pint - we couldn't have them out in front of customers, in case they find them objectionable.

And the gays - oh god the gays with their skinny trousers and pointy shoes and all that? We couldn't risk any objection from our homophobic, racist customers, so let's not put any of them out there.

In fact, we'll just make sure the entire organisation is made up of middle-aged white men who agree about everything themselves, and never have the trauma of facing up to a new opinion that they haven't heard in the golf club, right?

Yeah, to hell with that diversity nonsense - let's go for complete and utter groupthink 1970s style. What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can I presume that you wouldn't have any people with disabilities in the workplace, right? Some people find all those crutches and guide dogs so objectionable.

And no black people at all? We can't have any of our racist customers having to see something they find objectionable, so we'd never put any black people out in a public place, right?

And definitely no Muslims, with their funny scarfs and never having a pint - we couldn't have them out in front of customers, in case they find them objectionable.

And the gays - oh god the gays with their skinny trousers and pointy shoes and all that? We couldn't risk any objection from our homophobic, racist customers, so let's not put any of them out there.

In fact, we'll just make sure the entire organisation is made up of middle-aged white men who agree about everything themselves, and never have the trauma of facing up to a new opinion that they haven't heard in the golf club, right?

Yeah, to hell with that diversity nonsense - let's go for complete and utter groupthink 1970s style. What could possibly go wrong?

Talk about a strawman :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

fritzelly wrote: »

I just love the "flip flop or high heel" mini headline there. As if there are no other shoes a woman could wear in a work environment! :rolleyes:

Ah, that's how you'd like to play this?

I'd hire a wheelchair bound three legged muslim lesbian with a heavy lisp and a nervous twitch and put them at the customer service desk, as long as they did the job well and presented themselves in a professional manner. If they subsequently came to work with blue hair and a face full of stick in bits, wearing a leopard print leotard and stripper heels and expected to carry on without consequence it would be plain foolish.

A professional office environment isn't a hair salon, tattoo parlour, nightclub, bar, indie clothing shop etc etc etc. You can't just expect to turn up wearing whatever the hell you want and for that to be acceptable to your employer, colleagues and customers. That includes sticking things in your nostrils, lip and ears.

Go away now with the middle aged white male clichés and rhetoric. It just makes your argument even more ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'm not even mildly curious what you do for a living to be honest. Do you have something to contribute to the thread, about the subject matter?

I didn't expect you to be curious about me. Why would I?

Anyway seeing as that's your response to an honest question. Good luck. You'll need it.

How about women with short hair and black studs then? Had short hair myself and for some reason random people found it incredibly important to share their thoughts about my haircut, which wasn't offensive or anything, just a normal short haircut.

What about headscarves? I know they can be a pretty controversial topic. If you know your company has a very conservative Irish client base, would it really make sense to put a woman with head scarf in a costumer facing position? Most likely not when you're having a problem with a man wearing a stud in his ear, after all religion (or tattoos or haircolour) should be a private decision, right?
    Hell, some people even refuse to deal with female tradespeople because they are so judgemental.

IF you're going to a company and the assigned service person you're facing seems to do a good job and you're getting along with them, and suddenly you'd realize that they are having a stud in their ear, would you like to be assigned to another person then? Genuine question.

Anyway seeing as that's your response to an honest question. Good luck. You'll need it.

You got an honest answer to your honest question. Good luck to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I worked with a really conservative lad - let's call him George.
    Anyway, one Monday he arrived in the office wearing an earring. Nearly everyone was talking about it behind his back. I popped into the cafeteria on my break and saw George on his own having a coffee, so I decided to join him. As curious as the rest of my co-workers I asked him "Tell me when did you decide to wear a earring? George replied "Ever since the wife found one on the backseat of the car on Saturday morning!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

You got an honest answer to your honest question. Good luck to you too.

Ha ha ha you sound like great craic altogether.

• Advertisement

Danonino. wrote: »
    Ha ha ha you sound like great craic altogether.

It's a general boards policy not to inquire about the identity of a poster. Don't know why you're pushing this.

Advertisement