Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my ear pierced - Should i be worried?

Options

Comments

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I would somewhat agree with you if he still had the piercings but it appears he removed them 17 years ago so I really don't know what your issue is.

By the way, I’ve only known him about the last 5 years.

He does occasionally wear earrings, to company christmas party in one case.

The 17 years thing is your misunderstanding, completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Earrings on men are best left to Pirates!! Nuff said!

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Earrings on men are best left to Pirates!! Nuff said!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

At the end of the day noting illegal is happening here.

A person s ability to do their job has to include their appearance, personality etc especially when they are dealing with the public.

If the job requires clean shaven or not tattoos, no piercings etc then not conform ing with that is failing at you job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

At the end of the day noting illegal is happening here.

A person s ability to do their job has to include their appearance, personality etc especially when they are dealing with the public.

If the job requires clean shaven or not tattoos, no piercings etc then not conform ing with that is failing at you job

I don't know about that, if JZ is purposefully holding back someone's career progression because they don't like their physical appearance and no other reason, that would be bullying. It may not be illegal but it's generally frowned upon. And completely immature.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

Honestly reading this thread has just made me really lose faith in humanity. If one piercing is enough disqualify a man who abides by the dress code in all other ways then humanity (most ignorant f*cks anyway) deserves to be wiped out.

Women can wear them and with how far our society has come with equality, then where is the harm in men wearing them?

And this
    rawn wrote: »
    And completely immature.

Elaborate please?

Looks like boardsies are showing their ignorance once again.

It's definitely not bulling. .
    An employer s. Job is to have the best person in the job. Appearance is part of that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

An employer s. Job is to have the best person in the job. Appearance is part of that

No it isn't, at all.

Honestly reading this thread has just made me really lose faith in humanity. If one piercing is enough disqualify a man who abides by the dress code in all other ways then humanity (most ignorant f*cks anyway) deserves to be wiped out.

Women can wear them and with how far our society has come with equality, then where is the harm in men wearing them?

And this
    And completely immature.

Elaborate please?

Are you allowed to cherry pick rules to follow. I don't think so

No it isn't, at all.
    Which part are you agreeing with

• Advertisement

Picking the best person for the job has nothing to do with appearance so long as they look professional. Evaluating an established, long standing employee solely on their appearance without taking their education, experience etc into consideration when it comes to promotions and pay scales is down right unprofessional.

The employee deserves to be appraised solely on his ability to work. I don't see how some piercing scars from many years previous should dictate someones career progression.

No one is saying it should be a free for all with mohawks and stretched earlobes, but to hold someone back for something as trivial as previously having an ear piercing is an injustice.

By your logic, I have a scar on the side of my nose, therefore I should not progress any further in my career because a prospective client may think I once had a nose piercing. Can you not understand how ridiculous that sounds???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If one piercing is enough disqualify a man who abides by the dress code in all other ways then humanity (most ignorant f*cks anyway) deserves to be wiped out.

Does it aye?

tenor.gif

No one is saying it should be a free for all with mohawks and stretched earlobes, but to hold someone back for something as trivial as previously having an ear piercing is an injustice

So who appointed you as the judge of how far is too far?

And why do you have such discrimination and hatred for those poor stretchy earred people?

Picking the best person for the job has nothing to do with appearance so long as they look professional. Evaluating an established, long standing employee solely on their appearance without taking their education, experience etc into consideration when it comes to promotions and pay scales is down right unprofessional.

The employee deserves to be appraised solely on his ability to work. I don't see how some piercing scars from many years previous should dictate someones career progression.

No one is saying it should be a free for all with mohawks and stretched earlobes, but to hold someone back for something as trivial as previously having an ear piercing is an injustice.

By your logic, I have a scar on the side of my nose, therefore I should not progress any further in my career because a prospective client may think I once had a nose piercing. Can you not understand how ridiculous that sounds???

I haven't said any of that.
    Of course your scar should have no bearing.
    I agree about hiring in ability. . All the things youbsaid are part of that but so is personality ,and appearance. . I believe something like appearance is a yes no , question are they suitable for the job.
    What decides that yes no is up to the employer.

Also a small piercing is the tip of the iceberg. If you allow one thing then it starts to progress and is impossible to backtrack

And completely immature.

Elaborate please?

It's completely immature for a grown man to hold back a good employee's career based s on their scars.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So who appointed you as the judge of how far is too far?

And why do you have such discrimination and hatred for those poor stretchy earred people?

Wind back with the aggression. I never appointed myself the judge of anything.

It is common assumption that to work in an office professional capacity, one needs to look professional. That would be formal attire, neat hair, and subtle make up for women. Rightly or wrongly, visible tattoos and piercings are discouraged, which is fair enough.
    Most people would agree this is the common standard, even if they don't fully agree with it.
    Forgive me for thinking its a tad dramatic to punish someone by holding back their career due to an ear piercing they used to have before they started working there. Its just a bit over zealous for my liking.

As for how far is too far, great question. I had bright red dyed hair 14 years ago. Should I never get another job? Or is it fair enough because I made a silly decision over a decade ago? Where do we draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

eight pages read and still no idea was your man told to take out the earring.

thats 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Maybe the OP should ask himself this question.

" Would I wear the earring to an interview" ** for a job that doesn't come with a cutlass, parrot and wooden leg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

This is not after hours
    Quit the nonsense

Wind back with the aggression. I never appointed myself the judge of anything.

There was no aggression. I wrongly assumed that the comment about stretchy earred folk would have given away the humorous intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I work in the creative field. Design, photography and media. It's perfectly normal for creatives to be heavily tattooed, pierced and dressed differently. In fact it can help sometimes.

But.

It can be a hindrance for sales people pitching for blue-chip, legal, corporate and civil service. Particularly middle aged men. If you're going to be adorned with jewelry and tats you gotta be slim, very up to date, good looking and wear it well. Sorry, but middle aged, overweight, whispy ponytail and ear-ring with mom jeans won't garner confidence in your client.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I work in the creative field. Design, photography and media. It's perfectly normal for creatives to be heavily tattooed, pierced and dressed differently. In fact it can help sometimes.

But.

It can be a hindrance for sales people pitching for blue-chip, legal, corporate and civil service. Particularly middle aged men. If you're going to be adorned with jewelry and tats you gotta be slim, very up to date, good looking and wear it well. Sorry, but middle aged, overweight, whispy ponytail and ear-ring with mom jeans won't garner confidence in your client.

Pretty much all that matters tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I hope the OP enjoyed the date with his boss. Surely, that's the logical conclusion of the sudden interest from their boss and subsequent info blackout. Jokes!

Seriously - I'd hate to think a small stud would in anyway lead to prejudice. There's conservatism and then there's downright paranoid prudishness.

I'm from an finance background myself, but have spent most (apart from 3 years in healthcare (and some of those were a riot)) of the latter part of my career in creative/media and I don't bat an eyelid at dress, jewellery or demeanour as long as a professional job is undertaken.

There was a time when a female would have shocked the same "Professional" prudes, and we got over that (mostly).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

I hope the OP enjoyed the date with his boss. Surely, that's the logical conclusion of the sudden interest from their boss and subsequent info blackout. Jokes!

Seriously - I'd hate to think a small stud would in anyway lead to prejudice. There's conservatism and then there's downright paranoid prudishness.

I'm from an finance background myself, but have spent most (apart from 3 years in healthcare (and some of those were a riot)) of the latter part of my career in creative/media and I don't bat an eyelid at dress, jewellery or demeanour as long as a professional job is undertaken.

There was a time when a female would have shocked the same "Professional" prudes, and we got over that (mostly).

Ultimately that is what shatters the argument of all those on here justifying this. You can't just move the goal posts as you see fit. People can be very dishonest. It's your obligation to question your thought process ALL THE TIME. Very poor mindsets on display here. Like seriously, it's an earring. It potentially makes someone stand out more in a positive way depending on how they pull it off.(I personally think it's cringeworthy)

The best post on the thread was replied to with the biggest cop out response ever. 'Straw man' indeed.

Insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

eeguy wrote: »
    It's a general boards policy not to inquire about the identity of a poster. Don't know why you're pushing this.

I don't feel like I was pushing it? If JayZeus doesn't want to answer that's fair enough.
    I just thought his response was a bit aggressive but in retrospect its understandable. We all have prejudices, and he's been getting lambasted for being honest about his when everyone else hides them. I like to think I wouldn't care about piercings, but when I really think about, septum rings........

Yeah, I can't guarantee my decisions won't be subconsciously influenced by one of them yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s our industry and our customers.
    That's your industry as long as you allow it to be your industry. When your organisation grows a pair and decides to stand up to silly customers like this, you'll find that you will gain as many customers as you lose, if not more.

When your organisation grows a pair and decides to stand up to silly customers like this, you'll find that you will gain as many customers as you lose, if not more.

What is his industry?

That's your industry as long as you allow it to be your industry. When your organisation grows a pair and decides to stand up to silly customers like this, you'll find that you will gain as many customers as you lose, if not more.

You have no idea what you're writing about. No idea at all. :rolleyes:

What about an employer s right to have their company represented the way they want it.

• Advertisement

What about an employer s right to have their company represented the way they want it.

Then why did they hire him?

Advertisement