Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my ear pierced - Should i be worried?

Options
1235»

Comments

rawn wrote: »
    Then why did they hire him?

To work in a factory. He did well from there and moved up a few times.

He’s gone as far as he’ll go now without changing companies.

This can’t be as difficult to understand as some people are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

That's your industry as long as you allow it to be your industry. When your organisation grows a pair and decides to stand up to silly customers like this, you'll find that you will gain as many customers as you lose, if not more.

How does this work? How does "standing up" to some customers gain you more? Personally I would have thought that holding on to existing customers and attracting new ones is the way to go, not sure how "we allow our staff to wear earrings" gets you more business.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JayZeus wrote: »
    T
    This can’t be as difficult to understand as some people are making out.
    What's difficult to understand is a manager who thinks it's a good idea to NOT tell employees what their performance issues are, just to make absolutely sure that they don't do anything to improve.
    davo10 wrote: »
    How does this work? How does "standing up" to some customers gain you more? Personally I would have thought that holding on to existing customers and attracting new ones is the way to go, not sure how "we allow our staff to wear earrings" gets you more business.
    You've worked out 'we allow staff to wear earrings loses you business, right? Well isn't it reasonable that for personal, quirky issue like this, there are going to be as many buyers turned on by this as turned off. Unless there is some massive anti-earring conspiracy that has never come to public sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What's difficult to understand is a manager who thinks it's a good idea to NOT tell employees what their performance issues are, just to make absolutely sure that they don't do anything to improve.

You've worked out 'we allow staff to wear earrings loses you business, right? Well isn't it reasonable that for personal, quirky issue like this, there are going to be as many buyers turned on by this as turned off. Unless there is some massive anti-earring conspiracy that has never come to public sight?

in jays case there would be no performance issues. they are doing there job perfectly fine. it is just that the next job up the line isn't suitable

in jays case there would be no performance issues. they are doing there job perfectly fine. it is just that the next job up the line isn't suitable

OK, if you want to get picky - development issue instead of performance issue. But it's the same principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

are you only allowed to hire people that could potentially get to the top of the ladder. some people suite roles very well but could only do that role

are you only allowed to hire people that could potentially get to the top of the ladder. some people suite roles very well but could only do that role

Yep, that's true, but in this case (apparently) he is well capable of carrying out the higher level role, except for the damned earring holding him back - but shhhhh - whatever you do, don't let him know. It's a big secret.
    What about an employer s right to have their company represented the way they want it.
    I don't have a problem at all with any company having a clear and direct dress code. If dress is important in your industry, then you write down the rules and make them known to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Im sorry but middle aged man, small black stud earring and professional job 4 months in, and you wonder why colleagues look and maybe the boss wants a chat.
    Yes its an earring. Yes people should be able to wear what they like but thats the ideal world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Im sorry but middle aged man, small black stud earring and professional job 4 months in, and you wonder why colleagues look and maybe the boss wants a chat.
    Yes its an earring. Yes people should be able to wear what they like but thats the ideal world.

But he's not wearing an earring.

OK, if you want to get picky - development issue instead of performance issue. But it's the same principle.

It's not even a development issue. Maybe it is for him, but not for the company to be fair. He does what they want him to do. If he made better choices then they'd want him to do more and they'd give him the opportunity. His bad choices in the past will not facilitate that now, not in this company.

He would probably be a big hit in a music shop or a skate shop or something. That's not what we do though. Our client facing technical, project and sales personnel, management and executive leadership aren't the kind of people who would have multiple holes in their ears. Same goes for visible tattoos, colourful hair or styling.

I didn't pierce his ears. I didn't put jewellery in them for him to wear to a company christmas party. I didn't hire him. I wouldn't fire him. I wouldn't embarrass him or ridicule him for his personal styling choices of the past or present. I just wouldn't put him in front of a customer. I've explained why and no matter whether you think that's unfair or perfectly reasonable, that's the way it is. It's not going to change just because somebody on the internet thinks it should!

• Advertisement

I didn't pierce his ears. I didn't put jewellery in them for him to wear to a company christmas party. I didn't hire him. I wouldn't fire him. I wouldn't embarrass him or ridicule him for his personal styling choices of the past or present. I just wouldn't put him in front of a customer. I've explained why and no matter whether you think that's unfair or perfectly reasonable, that's the way it is. It's not going to change just because somebody on the internet thinks it should!

THat's a slightly different spin to your original position;
    I would find it very difficult to take a middle aged man wearing an ear stud or ring seriously. In fact, I couldn't take them seriously. It's a finance position in an aircraft leasing firm. It's office work, where a professional appearance and demeanour are generally expected. If you drive a forklift in a warehouse or plaster farm sheds, it's a whole other thing.

I worked with a guy who had maybe 6-7 piercings down his left ear, probably many years ago. The holes are still just visible and ever since i spotted them I can't take him seriously at all. He doesn't realise it but the holes in his ear mean I've refused to bring him onto projects for the last 4 years where he'd meet with customers. My reason was perfectly acceptable too.

He's totally oblivious to it but he earns a lot less than he could (for the same workload) and is held back in his career generally as a result of doing stupid things like getting his ears pierced.

By all means, get holes put in your ears as a grown man. Your choice. Don't expect everyone to be okay with your strange behaviour.

It's possible to give an employee direct and specific feedback without ridiculing them or embarrassing them. It's called performance management.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Take it out when going to work... It's a bit of an oddity in such a work place. Not worth the attention really.

THat's a slightly different spin to your original position;

It's possible to give an employee direct and specific feedback without ridiculing them or embarrassing them. It's called performance management.

Seriously? Just because he is held back does not mean it's anyone else's fault but his own. I'm done arguing this with you. I've been very clear and if you can't understand that, I don't think I'll be able to help you get any closer to your moment of enlightenment.

On to your second point, his performance is managed already. He does a very good job in fact. I've said as much at least a couple of times. He can also develop his role further, for example by learning new products and technologies to complement his existing capabilities, but that's as far as it goes. How about you accept that I don't have to tell the guy that his piercings are limiting his options. He does a good job. The company are happy. As long as he's happy, it's all good. If he's not happy, he'll have to try his luck elsewhere.

Not. My. Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You are assuming that it wasn't noticed during the interview. It might well have been noticed and not have impacted the hiring decision for that role.

He has said it is impacting his progression rather that his current job.

@nutmeggirl
    Which of the following grounds do you believe they are falling foul of?

He has outlined a career progression from the factory floor to the office which would be a good defence against any discrimination claim.

Family status
    Sexual orientation
    Religion
    Age (does not apply to a person under 16)
    Disability
    Race
    Membership of the Traveller community

Unless they have every promoted a female employee with an earring to the same position

matrim wrote: »
    Unless they have every promoted a female employee with an ear-ring to the same position

There are no female employees in this company with the exception of two finance admins and a logistics/shipping co-ordinator. That's out of about 100 employees.

So no, no female employees will have been promoted or denied promotion in this role/company on any grounds. Not my company and not my decision to have that kind of ratio or that kind of thing, so please, let's not even start down that particular path folks. (We'd hire women in a heartbeat, but there's just not the interest in working in this field amongst qualified graduates or skilled trades workers)

Ugly piercings on female staff who interacted with customers would be treated just the same in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Why not leave the stud out while at work and wear it in your free time?

Keep the boss happy and keep you happy in your own time.

I knew a lot of lads who dressed up as Goths and Bikers on the weekend and were all corporate and blue suited respectability during their working hours. Engineering and software environment. The juniors and techs could do as they wanted within reason but a certain level of conformity was expected of the people from supervisors upwards.

I have just found out that some people have problems with earholes closing up during the initial stages, the trick is to get through this initial stage as discretely as you can, maybe flesh coloured studs at the top of the earrings shaft if such a thing exists. Or maybe hair long enough to cover the ears if this is allowed and is not seen as being too "Oscar Wilde".....

There are no female employees in this company with the exception of two finance admins and a logistics/shipping co-ordinator. That's out of about 100 employees.
    Why doesn't that surprise me?
    Seriously? Just because he is held back does not mean it's anyone else's fault but his own. I'm done arguing this with you. I've been very clear and if you can't understand that, I don't think I'll be able to help you get any closer to your moment of enlightenment.

On to your second point, his performance is managed already. He does a very good job in fact. I've said as much at least a couple of times. He can also develop his role further, for example by learning new products and technologies to complement his existing capabilities, but that's as far as it goes. How about you accept that I don't have to tell the guy that his piercings are limiting his options. He does a good job. The company are happy. As long as he's happy, it's all good. If he's not happy, he'll have to try his luck elsewhere.

Not. My. Problem.

Just in case you forgot your earlier comments;
    He's totally oblivious to it but he earns a lot less than he could (for the same workload) and is held back in his career generally as a result of doing stupid things like getting his ears pierced.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Just in case you forgot your earlier comments;

:rolleyes:

I'm done with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Folks,

Can’t log back in anonymously AFAIK. The meeting went well, I was offered a new position with a higher salary starting January.

The strange looks stopped about 3 days into work. I pretty much forgot about how nervous I was. Thanks for the replies but I forgot about the thread here!

As for comments about professionalism, I once worked with a multi millionaire CEO who would spit and curse in the office, and he’s still doing pretty well for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I would find it very difficult to take a middle aged man wearing an ear stud or ring seriously. In fact, I couldn't take them seriously. It's a finance position in an aircraft leasing firm. It's office work, where a professional appearance and demeanour are generally expected. If you drive a forklift in a warehouse or plaster farm sheds, it's a whole other thing.

I worked with a guy who had maybe 6-7 piercings down his left ear, probably many years ago. The holes are still just visible and ever since i spotted them I can't take him seriously at all. He doesn't realise it but the holes in his ear mean I've refused to bring him onto projects for the last 4 years where he'd meet with customers. My reason was perfectly acceptable too.

By all means, get holes put in your ears as a grown man. Your choice. Don't expect everyone to be okay with your strange behaviour.

Wow, who the hell put you in charge of judging other people in a workplace? I'm pretty sure that plenty of people who work with YOU find lots of annoying things about your clothes/manner or personality but generally people keep it to themselves and get on with the job because its work.

Your attitude is pretty low. Remember, be 100% perfect before your judge others.

• Advertisement

Wow, who the hell put you in charge of judging other people in a workplace? I'm pretty sure that plenty of people who work with YOU find lots of annoying things about your clothes/manner or personality but generally people keep it to themselves and get on with the job because its work.

Your attitude is pretty low. Remember, be 100% perfect before your judge others.

You don't have to like me or my posts and you most certainly don't know me, yet your post is a blatant personal attack, full of hypocrisy.

You are completely wide of the mark from my perspective. I can only imagine much of what I've written resonated with you negatively, most likely having been on the receiving end of it if I had to guess.

Well, so be it. People like me will rarely if ever care what people like you think of them. :rolleyes:

People like me will rarely if ever care what people like you think of them. :rolleyes:

And yet, you expect other employees to care greatly about what others might think about tiny, historical issues in their appearance!

Extreme-Irony.gif

And yet, you expect other employees to care greatly about what others might think about tiny, historical issues in their appearance!

No.

I expect people to accept that when you get piercings, tattoo’s, weird hair styles or make other choices that have a significant impact on your personal appearance, those choices can and often do have consequences.

Whether any of you like it or not, people judge others ALL THE TIME. It won’t stop. Ever.

Be smart about the decisions you make.

Incidentally, the OP said they’re middle aged.

The ‘OP’ with the positive outcome has logged in from an account where the user has mentioned their being a recent graduate and 24 years of age.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057707686/1/#post102659908

A bit of a whiff off that, isn’t there?

Whether any of you like it or not, people judge others ALL THE TIME. It won’t stop. Ever.
    So when people judge you based on what you say, you don't care about what anyone says. But when you judge others based on tiny issues with their appearance, you're right on the button.

Is there just a little bit of hypocrisy in there somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I'l bet if a client came in wanting to make a big spend and he had earrings from his eyebrow to his crotch, his boss would be happy enough to entertain him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I have numberous piercings and currently have pink hair.

I work in an official basis service job where I meet face to face with a lot of people, if anything my hair is a good conversation starter before I get down to serious business.

Bosses have said nothing about my hair and piercings, luckily my tattoos are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You don't have to like me or my posts and you most certainly don't know me, yet your post is a blatant personal attack, full of hypocrisy.

You are completely wide of the mark from my perspective. I can only imagine much of what I've written resonated with you negatively, most likely having been on the receiving end of it if I had to guess.

Well, so be it. People like me will rarely if ever care what people like you think of them. :rolleyes:

Actually you are completely wrong about your view resonating with me at all. I replied because your view was so arrogant and insulting, and strangely out of context with the OPs situation. I mean, do you represent every single occupation and dress standards for each job in Ireland? Of course you don't, so your ridiculous assertion of calling the OP strange stuck out a mile. Who are you anyway, who are you to dictate what people should and shouldn't wear and how they behave?

I guarantee you if I spoke to a few of YOUR workmates they could list a few things about you they find strange or inappropriate but they just dismiss it because its work. Your view of what people should or shouldn't do is just bizarre.

Advertisement