Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The words "died unexpectedly" on a death notice.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I always thought "died unexpectedly" should be kept for a some Franciscan Monk who was found having ceased to live surrounded with hos and blow.

I've informed my next of kin, that regardless of the circumstances of my demise, this is what is to be on my obituary:

markflynn101, died roaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

"died reluctantly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

RayM wrote: »
    Exactl

Who pressed the post reply button???

I suspect foul play!

I would hope that everybody regardless of their qualifications would be worthy of respect in death

This is why politicians get state funerals, while poor people get a 'paupers funeral'

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you’re 83 and you were at bridge on Sunday and your grandchild’s nativity play on Tuesday and played golf on Friday, then doze off in the armchair watching the rugby on TV and don’t wake up, you’ve died unexpectedly.

Inconsiderate of a grandparent to die at christmas time. Puts a downer on the whole year, and the kids don't even get the day off school to go the funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Its Funeral Director speak.

"In loving care of sisters at xx hospice" or "peacefully" = died of old age

"After short illness" - usually 3-4 weeks. If you knew them, you may feel a little guilt not knowing of the illness

"tragically" - can be anything from suicide, drowning, car accident etc. Words such as pieta house (suicide) or RNLI (drowning) give more info.

"Unexpectedly" - Usually heart attack, stroke or some other illness that was not known / cause of concern prior. Also means that if you knew of the person, you don;t feel gulity not dropping by beforehand if they had been ill.

Good to remember that a funeral director is dealing with an extended family - so wording has to take into account different thoughts / views.

When my mother inlaw passes, boith myself and my wife would like to say "Thankfully, at last" :) (yep, I have a MIL from hell)

My dad actually asked the local paper could he put "what took sp long you God ??" when my mother's stepmother died (she hated her too!!) but they said no!!

Akrasia wrote: »
    Inconsiderate of a grandparent to die at christmas time. Puts a downer on the whole year, and the kids don't even get the day off school to go the funeral.

My maternal granddad died on 21 December, we'd already broken up grrr!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I used to think the only way you could die was to be murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

screamer wrote: »
    We have many words which we use where death is concerned.
    Yes death is an eventuality... Doesn't make it any less shocking or unexpected when it happens. Especially if the person was healthy and just died no matter whether they are 9 or 90. It's a shock to their loved ones and saying "oh well sure we all die" is not going to change that.

As a thirty-something terminally-ill person, I really have to put effort into not rolling my eyes when someone trots out “sure, we all die sometime!”. Yeah, that really makes me feel at peace with losing four to five decades of my life. :rolleyes::mad:

Don’t ever say the above or “sure, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!” to any terminally ill person. They are not comforting.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    As a thirty-something terminally-ill person, I really have to put effort into not rolling my eyes when someone trots out “sure, we all die sometime!”. Yeah, that really makes me feel at peace with losing four to five decades of my life. :rolleyes::mad:

Don’t ever say the above or “sure, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!” to any terminally ill person. They are not comforting.

If you wouldn't say that to a kid's parents then don't say it to anyone younger than about 65, if not more.

Hope you fight on!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

I think many missed that reference unfortunately.

Too bad, it's a quality joke, at least your good self and one other punter got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

If you wouldn't say that to a kid's parents then don't say it to anyone younger than about 65, if not more.

My parents are 67 and 68 respectively, if they died in the morning it would very much be shocking and unexpected and absolutely devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

It simply means that someone had no known underlining illness and health problems hence dying unexpectedly, people who are diagnosed with terminal cancer are expected to die at some point in the near future thats the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've never understood this being put on death notices. People do die suddenly but death at some point isn't unexpected.

I mean if you're in your 70s or 80s then you are expecting to die. I'm sure people want to live as long as they can but when it does happen it's not unexpected.

Yes I had a lot of time to think over the weekend and it was something that came up.

If someone is ailing and on their last legs, bedridden and getting weaker by the day and then they die well then it's hardly "unexpectedly".

If someone, despite being in their 70's or even later, is active, healthy, strong, completely lucid, vivacious and fully functional like still driving a car and maybe even still working albeit in a reduced capacity with no diagnosed conditions or diseases suddenly just dies......then it's pretty damn unexpected.

A postmortem might reveal an undetected malady like a blood clot or a heart condition but that only explains the unexpected death.

• Advertisement

Bambi985 wrote: »

My parents are 67 and 68 respectively, if they died in the morning it would very much be shocking and unexpected and absolutely devastating.

No offence meant. My own dad has dementia and angina and at 80 I would still class his passing as unexpected. Clumsily put sorry.

Advertisement