Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club diary

Options
  • 11-12-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Folks,
    Looking for some advice. Are any of ye members of clubs that publish your club diary in an electronic format such as Google calendar. We are thinking of doing something like this to allow members synchronise the annual diary to their phones.
    Appreciate any advice or suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Barnseire wrote: »
    Folks,
    Looking for some advice. Are any of ye members of clubs that publish your club diary in an electronic format such as Google calendar. We are thinking of doing something like this to allow members synchronise the annual diary to their phones.

No but that’s a great idea. Surely it isn’t that hard to do one of those ical links you just paste in.

I would suggest not having alerts connected to the calendar items though. I have some sports fixture calendars added that buzz me every Friday reminding me of the match. A bit OTT. I’m sure there’s a setting I can adjust it, but if the calendar itself comes without alerts that would be best I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

Cheers for that, will take that on board. Hoping to have something that will sync either in realtime or even at a push, so any slight changes are replicated down to the the members. Obviously we're aware that not all the member will be using the electronic version only :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Yea we use Google calendar, works perfectly.
    You have the option of what you want to add eg Mens golf/ladies/golf/Social etc.

Only down side is someone has to set it up

Ronney wrote: »
    Yea we use Google calendar, works perfectly.
    You have the option of what you want to add eg Mens golf/ladies/golf/Social etc.

Only down side is someone has to set it up

Thanks. Does that mean the diary sec tags the various comps as mens/ladies etc and then you choose which ones you want to download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thanks. Does that mean the diary sec tags the various comps as mens/ladies etc and then you choose which ones you want to download ?

All separate Calendars, need to have a gmail account.

Button Link on Club website (+Google Calender). when you click on it a list of aprox ten calendars comes up and you tick boxes of ones you want to sync

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Folks,

No, but I wish they would!!

Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

We use it and find it brilliant...

I use the following CSV file format and I put everything into it, cups sheils etc...

Subject |Start Date| End Date| All Day Event|Description|Location|Private
    Gents Comp - Fourball|08/01/2017|08/01/2017|TRUE|"Sponsor - Club Sponsored Officer - Mr Blogs" | Mahony's |FALSE

Drop me a PM for more info if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Folks,

All our apps for clubs have in built calendars that sync to the users phone calendar, they are also tied in with push notifications, so you only get alerts for events you are interested in.

Pm me I can send guy more info

All our apps for clubs have in built calendars that sync to the users phone calendar, they are also tied in with push notifications, so you only get alerts for events you are interested in.

Pm me I can send guy more info

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

jtown wrote: »
    We use it and find it brilliant...

I use the following CSV file format and I put everything into it, cups sheils etc...

Subject |Start Date| End Date| All Day Event|Description|Location|Private
    Gents Comp - Fourball|08/01/2017|08/01/2017|TRUE|"Sponsor - Club Sponsored Officer - Mr Blogs" | Mahony's |FALSE

Drop me a PM for more info if you want

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

we use a pocket diary. i much prefer it to a computerised version which they use in my second club
    the pocket diary is so much easier to scan through, read, add in your own notes.

next yis will be wanting to do away with score cards altogether and we will have to have an app to fill in.

bring back pen and paper I say :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    we use a pocket diary. i much prefer it to a computerised version which they use in my second club
    the pocket diary is so much easier to scan through, read, add in your own

Same here.
    Fits lovely into the holder in the sun visor!

Seve OB wrote: »
    the pocket diary is so much easier to scan through, read, add in your own notes.

next yis will be wanting to do away with score cards altogether and we will have to have an app to fill in.

bring back pen and paper I say :D

From someone who has to sit on a Saturday or Sunday evening, wading through 200 scrore cards, the idea of doing it through an app would be lovely:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

From someone who has to sit on a Saturday or Sunday evening, wading through 200 scrore cards, the idea of doing it through an app would be lovely:-)

I have actually played in a competition that used an app to track the scores. You could see a live leaderboard of each group on the course (shotgun start) it covered team and individual scores on the day.

It is the way things are going, the considerations being the adaptability of members to using an app over the traditional scorecard, the choice of providing an electronic scorecard to each group to fill in/stand over.

It does offer efficiency for the handicap secretary and results compilation.

Like everything i imagine it will be adopted by the bigger, more affluent clubs and will gradually filter down.

Did we ever think that we would sign in to the computer for our competitions or track our handicaps online

The issue is, per the Rules of Golf, the card is the definitive record of the score. Hopefully someday, clubs will be allowed make the computer entry the definitive record, however this would mean that the computer systems would need to be modified to make sure the entry is authenticated in the same way the paper card is. It's an easy technical challenge to overcome, but there doesnt appear to be much desire to change at the moment. Until that day competitions committes continue to tirelessly give up their time to produce results. Do you hear the violins yet ?

Advertisement