Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Tax and my Wife

Options
  • 11-12-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,

If I receive a gift from my parents say property at a value of 120K, I know I am exempt based on my exemption lifetime threshold. But since my wife is not a blood relation will she have to pay CAT, on the remainder above her threshold of 16K. If I inherit the property and not my wife will she not need to pay the CAT and only my threshold will be reduced.

Indy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

indy_man wrote: »
    Hi,

If I receive a gift from my parents say property at a value of 120K, I know I am exempt based on my exemption lifetime threshold. But since my wife is not a blood relation will she have to pay CAT, on the remainder above her threshold of 16K. If I inherit the property and not my wife will she not need to pay the CAT and only my threshold will be reduced.

Indy

No because your wife is not receiving the gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

indy_man wrote: »
    Hi,

Indy

If you receive the inheritance in the first instance, then the only CAT issue relates to you and your exemption limit means you have no CAT liability. Once the asset is yours, you can transfer all or any part of it to your wife and there is no CAT issue, as transfers between spouses are exempt from CAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Even if the inherited property becomes their "family home"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

C3PO wrote: »
    Even if the inherited property becomes their "family home"?

Whether it does or not is irrelevant. If you receive the gift and it's below your threshold then there's no CAT payable. If you want to transfer half of the house into your wife's name, you should do so after (I think) 3 years and there will be no CAT on that either.

As in all cases, don't rely on advice received here....consult a professional.

Advertisement