Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magsafe port problem

• 12-12-2017 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've a 2013 Retina Pro and long story short, the original charger broke last week and I bought a spurious one on eBay as it was half the price of a genuine Apple one (Probably my first mistake)

Anyway I received the charger today and as soon as I plugged it in, the MacBook powered off. Now, it'll still turn on, but won't charge at all, even using my brother's OEM charger. Any ideas? It seems to be the magsafe port that's the problem, as the LED light on my brother's charger won't even light up when it's plugged in. Lesson learned in regard to paying Apple's prices anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Duff wrote: »
    Now, it'll still turn on, but won't charge at all, even using my brother's OEM charger. Any ideas? It seems to be the magsafe port that's the problem, as the LED light on my brother's charger won't even light up when it's plugged in. Lesson learned in regard to paying Apple's prices anyway!

I'd suggest that the cheap charger provided a voltage that was out of spec and a safety mechanism has kicked in.

Try resetting the SMC & PRAM - then try again with the official charger (ONLY) http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

If this works - put the cheap charger into the electrical recycling and get an OEM one.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the advice. Tried it there to no avail though :(. I reckon the Magsafe port itself is burnt out. Hopefully it's not a crazy expensive fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

This looks like the guide for your Mac (but double check!). https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Early+2013+MagSafe+DC-In+Board+Replacement/17055

Looks tricky enough - and given the small size of the mag safe board in that guide, I fear there’s a risk that the logic board may be damaged too. Sorry

Paddy

Advertisement