Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody Mouseholing in retirement?

• 12-12-2017 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Strange term I know... It's one Ive come across mostly in British websites etc...its basicly where you downsize your property at home to an apt and then buy abroad and winter there.
    We are in the midst of preparing for a variation of this and was wondering if anyone here keeps on a property to return in the summer but travel the rest of the year in retirement?
    Our situations we have 2 rental apartments and our main house. Upon retirement the himself will have an educators pension and I will have a decent lump sum and OK monthly from paye job.
    We plan to move out of our house and rent it out while at the same time taking up residence in one of the apartments as a base of operations.
    We intend to pick 1 country to visit for 6/9 months of the year and return to Ireland for 3/6 of the summer period.
    First destination is Malaysia, followed by Ecuador and after that undecided.
    Given income of 2 decent pensions, rental property and house rental against outgoings in a country with a far lower cost of living we feel from an economic point of view we are well covered before the state pension kicks in.
    ...youngest just leaving college in may
    ...mortgage free
    ..both in good health
    ...have disposed of one of the cars

Anybody have any warnings / advice etc
    I'd particularly be Interested in anyone who does something similar in terms of picking a different country for a prolonged visit each year.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Don't forget about the colostomy bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

An uncle of mine bought two apartments years ago abroad keeping his family home here.

He rented both out as holiday apartments for years , when he retired he sold one of the apartments and traveled quite a bit using the remaining apartment as his base.

He's getting on in years and is widowed now and returns to Ireland three or four times a year to complain about the weather, drink and argue a bit .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Insurance is a big concern: travel, health, and home.

If your home (the apartment) is unoccupied for a period of X weeks (may vary depending on your policy), you may not be covered in the event of burglary/damage/etc.

Private health insurance may also not be valid if you are overseas for long periods, and travel insurance can be difficult to get (especially for travel outside of Europe) as you get older.

Do your research and draw your own conclusions, but it's a very appealing idea for the likes of me who absolutely effing despises the cold! Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bcfb123456

Don't forget about the colostomy bags.
    55 so a while to go yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Something else to consider are the CTG implications for any heirs of losing PPR status on your house (presumably your highest value property asset). I don't know the full story, so you'll have to do your own research, again— maybe it's beneficial? It also might not be, though.

This might not even be a strong factor in your decision making, but if it is, it would be good to look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

humblebrag disguised as a request for advice.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JamBur wrote: »

How can they be bragging? Do you think Bcfb123456 is their real name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Just give me a REO Speedwagon CD and something to play it on and I'll lie down anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

How can they be bragging? Do you think Bcfb123456 is their real name?

Tim nice-but-dim.

Son of Bcfb1234567, big hitter on the motoring forum. Thats where all the real men are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

OP - dont know much about the subject in hand but may I suggest you up sticks and take the query to a less fractious part of Boards perhaps?

Watch out for for the hilarious flamers in AH - you can request a mod to move if need be afaik...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Smug baby boomers, You do realise everyone born after 1985 will want to kill you OP? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where's my decent pension or property to downsize?

Oh right, I won't have either. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Go for it OP. You seem to be in a secure financial situation and with 55 you are young enough to enjoy traveling.
    If you stay in your big house, fretting about insurance, health, inheritance for the kids and other whataboutery you can as well buy your burial plot and spend your time planning the funeral. How fun is that?
    It's your life and it will be over soon enough, you don't want to grow old and think about what could have been if only you've had the courage to do it.

Besides, you can always go back to your old life in dear old Ireland if things don't work out abroad.

My ex-mother-in-law did it in her sixties, sold the house, bought a small apartment and did all the stuff she always wanted to do, including traveling, never regretted it as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Long way away for me, but "probably" is the answer. Not sure about the hassle of maintaining a second property abroad, I'd be more inclined to find a decent resort and just go there every year.

My in-laws bought a house approaching 60, gutted it and built something even bigger than they had before. Not sure I'd want to go that way. The amount of effort and stress they went through and the amount of maintenance the property still needs is insane. It's nice of course for them to have such a large place to entertain and have the grandkids over, but a largish 3-bed bungalow would be just as good and require less maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My folks, even though just hitting their 50s, closed their company, sold the family home (they bought a few months before the financial crash, dirt cheap because prices didn't skyrocket like crazy back home) and got crazy good equity. Packed the old company van, bought a pretty sweet 2 bedroom house in Fuerteventura in the backar5e of nowhere, live there mortgage free now, no regrets, never looking back.
    They live the artist hippie life now.
    The chances that they'll ever return are very very slim. Have to say though they both speak Spanish well enough and blend in pretty well in a village of mainly Spaniards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldn't be interested in living around the Med , but yeah have thought about selling up when kids are through college, stay in the same area but buy 2 or 3 apartments live in one and rent out the other 1 or 2. It can be exhausting owning a house as you get older, garden maintenance and getting sh11t repaired.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

JamBur wrote: »

To think you get one life and choose to spend any of it being petty and small minded.....

As my old mam used to say, " if you've nothing useful to contribute say nothing at all "...

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Something else to consider are the CTG implications for any heirs of losing PPR status on your house (presumably your highest value property asset). I don't know the full story, so you'll have to do your own research, again— maybe it's beneficial? It also might not be, though.

This might not even be a strong factor in your decision making, but if it is, it would be good to look into it.

Excellent point, I'll look into that. Thanks

seamus wrote: »
    Long way away for me, but "probably" is the answer. Not sure about the hassle of maintaining a second property abroad, I'd be more inclined to find a decent resort and just go there every year.

My in-laws bought a house approaching 60, gutted it and built something even bigger than they had before. Not sure I'd want to go that way. The amount of effort and stress they went through and the amount of maintenance the property still needs is insane. It's nice of course for them to have such a large place to entertain and have the grandkids over, but a largish 3-bed bungalow would be just as good and require less maintenance.

Agreed, our idea would be to pick a different location every year and do a long term rent....no, buying property is something I'm done with..but for the grace of God Id be in a worse position with the ones I have that I'm in and when I look back now it was a lottery....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why Ecuador and Malaysia out of interest? Won't the flights and expenses cost you a good bit each year? Do you speak any of the languages?

dd972 wrote: »
    Smug baby boomers, You do realise everyone born after 1985 will want to kill you OP? :pac:

Yes understandable...but in fairness should that preclude me from asking advice?? And to get proper advice my circumstances need to be laid out. I don't apologise for that. Cheers!

Bcfb123456 wrote: »
    Yes understandable...but in fairness should that preclude me from asking advice?? And to get proper advice my circumstances need to be laid out. I don't apologise for that. Cheers!

Infairness, if you wanted proper advice, you’re barking up the wrong tree here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Check out the visa restrictions outside the EU. Many countries will restrict you to a 90 day maximum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Strange term I know... It's one Ive come across mostly in British websites etc...its basicly where you downsize your property at home to an apt and then buy abroad and winter there.
    We are in the midst of preparing for a variation of this and was wondering if anyone here keeps on a property to return in the summer but travel the rest of the year in retirement?
    Our situations we have 2 rental apartments and our main house. Upon retirement the himself will have an educators pension and I will have a decent lump sum and OK monthly from paye job.
    We plan to move out of our house and rent it out while at the same time taking up residence in one of the apartments as a base of operations.
    We intend to pick 1 country to visit for 6/9 months of the year and return to Ireland for 3/6 of the summer period.
    Given income of 2 decent pensions, rental property and house rental against outgoings in a country with a far lower cost of living we feel from an economic point of view we are well covered before the state pension kicks in.
    ...mortgage free
    ..both in good health

I'd particularly be Interested in anyone who does something similar in terms of picking a different country for a prolonged visit each year.

Thanks for reading!

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Why Ecuador and Malaysia out of interest? Won't the flights and expenses cost you a good bit each year? Do you speak any of the languages?

Both good healthcare, good infrastructure, English widely spoken....both high in retirement index studies..climate an attraction. Also we are both beach bums and love to dive and both locations have an abundance of small beach towns that we think would suit....we are still in the planning stage but those locations along with certain parts of Thailand, Mexico and a couple of central American locators as well....also Lisbon.

Infairness, if you wanted proper advice, you’re barking up the wrong tree here

Newbie to boards...so possibly so...

To think you get one life and choose to spend any of it being petty and small minded.....

As my old mam used to say, " if you've nothing useful to contribute say nothing at all "...

Welcome to after hours

Vojera wrote: »
    Check out the visa restrictions outside the EU. Many countries will restrict you to a 90 day maximum.

Yes a few will require visa runs...ive lived in Asia in the past and well used to doing them. A lot of the countries we are looking at provide retirement visas providing you can prove a certain level of annual income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

...mortgage free
    ..both in good health

Thanks for reading!

I have done this without retiring. Well am in the process of selling my house and trying to find an apartment to buy in my town so that I have a small bolt hole if all else fails. My youngest is in 2nd year at university, I am in my mid 40s and work online so have been able to go and work while on the road.

Do it. I am home less than a week so far for the festivities and missing my life in Malaysia even though it is great to see family and friends.

I have been living in Malaysia since July and have probably only encountered about 3 people who didn't understand what I was saying and one was a deaf uber driver. Living in Malaysia (particularly Kuala Lumpur) is as easy as living in Ireland. Actually, easier in some ways. The standard of living is fantastic if you have a few euro. You can eat a fantastic meal in a mid-range place for about €5. Not that I eat there often but in Nandos for example, if I have a veggie burger, peri peri fries an corn on the cob, a bottomless soda - costs me less than €6 while it is about €16 here.

Yes a few will require visa runs...ive lived in Asia in the past and well used to doing them. A lot of the countries we are looking at provide retirement visas providing you can prove a certain level of annual income.

If you need help on the MM2H (Malaysia my 2nd home) programme, aimed at retirees, let me know as a company I do some work for is the main agent for the government on this visa programme. Alternatively, you can do the visa runs. Its a great way to make you go explore more of amazing Asia!

Advertisement