If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a TV to replace a plasma

Options
  • 12-12-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had until recently a Panasonic plasma tv. I don't have the model, but it is a 40inch that cost me around £800 sterling around 8-10 years ago. A great tv picturewise and never had any complaints with it other than it nkw looks a bit dated. The eldest redently bought himself a Samsung 55 inch <Snip> that was on special offer at I think €649 euro. Not sure of the model, but think it is the 6020 or similar. I have had his old tv off him which is a 40inch Philips with the philips lighting on it. I'm not happy with the picture quality on the Philips at all, it is around 3yrs old. But is a step down quality wise from the Plasma. I see ghosting and some motion blur which I never had with the plasma, HD sources are better, but its still there. Also the 55 inch when he 1st set it up I could also see ghosting. He has turned off HDR+ now which he says has made it much better. 4k is much better, but I can still see it slightly.
    I'm going on a bit now, but my question to you is this. I am very tempted to take the plunge with an OLED or equivalent in the very near future. I'm thinking the LG 55B7 or with the £500 cashback more likely the 55E7. How much better is the picture on a set like this. They are the current top of the line tv's, but will I see the ghosting I do on so many others (a relative has a 2 yr old 55inch LG LED tv and I see motion blur a lot on this when watching the soccer). Last thing I want to do is shell out that kind of money to be disappointed with these things.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi, I had until recently a Panasonic plasma tv. I don't have the model, but it is a 40inch that cost me around £800 sterling around 8-10 years ago. A great tv picturewise and never had any complaints with it other than it nkw looks a bit dated. The eldest redently bought himself a Samsung 55 inch from DID that was on special offer at I think €649 euro. Not sure of the model, but think it is the 6020 or similar. I have had his old tv off him which is a 40inch Philips with the philips lighting on it. I'm not happy with the picture quality on the Philips at all, it is around 3yrs old. But is a step down quality wise from the Plasma. I see ghosting and some motion blur which I never had with the plasma, HD sources are better, but its still there. Also the 55 inch when he 1st set it up I could also see ghosting. He has turned off HDR+ now which he says has made it much better. 4k is much better, but I can still see it slightly.
    I'm going on a bit now, but my question to you is this. I am very tempted to take the plunge with an OLED or equivalent in the very near future. I'm thinking the LG 55B7 or with the £500 cashback more likely the 55E7. How much better is the picture on a set like this. They are the current top of the line tv's, but will I see the ghosting I do on so many others (a relative has a 2 yr old 55inch LG LED tv and I see motion blur a lot on this when watching the soccer). Last thing I want to do is shell out that kind of money to be disappointed with these things.

Thanks
    Hi Murphythesmurf.

Apologies, it seems your post was missed.

Coming from plasma is difficult due to the black levels a plasma could produce.

I my self just change from a 42" Pioneer Plasma to a 55B6. It took me over 10 years to find something that could compete with it.
    Have you had a chance to see one of the OLED screen running in the flesh? I think it might be better to get to view one and see what you think on the motion handling on no HD or 4K images.

The 55B7's have been very very popular and look amazing. With 55E7 its not really the screen that is different its the design of the TV as a whole.
    It features a glass panel back:
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stunning Picture-on-Glass design[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LG's truly stunning Picture-on-Glass design consists of an ultra-thin panel with a translucent glass back. Viewed from the side, the TV's panel is little thicker than a pane of glass - but a lot more exciting to watch![/font]

The 55E7 also has a built in soundbar across the bottom of the screen.

So you are paying for all the added extras with the E7.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Thanks for reply, I'll try and get in somewhere later to see one in action. Hard to judge in a shop though as a lot of the time the content shown is specially chosen to show off the tv. I live down in the midlands so a bit far to come up to yourselves. From the reviews I've been reading motion blur with OLED shouldn't be a problem as they are around 120hz (correct me if I'm wrong) and the OLED tech turns on and off etc quicker than LCD can. Though some reviews do mention judder or soap opera effect, this seems to be dependant on the person viewing though. One review I read recommended turning on a feature (I forget which) to smooth out the picture and elimate any percieved judder. But then another review on a different site recommended turning off this same feature as it gives a soap opera effect as he called it.
    You yourself look at and spend a lot of time with different tv's and so would probably notice these things, what is your opinion of the OLED and motion? I have looked at the Samsung QLED sets, but their range has become very confusing. The 9000 sets were always the top tv, but now the have the Q7, Q8, and Q9 as well as the 6000,7000,8000,9000 etc etc. From what Inhave read though as good as they are they cannot match the OLED.
    The motion is my main worry, the set I am watching at the moment is terrible imo. A huge step backwards from the plasma. SD sources wont worry me as pretty much all the tv I watch now is HD, and all Netflix and Amazon is either HD or 4K. Only let down is NowTv which is 720p I think, but still not so bad.
    I love the Sony A1 btw, but a good bit more expensive than the others, 800 more than the E7 after cashback. After cashback E7 is only 200 more than B7 for the benefit of the soundbar for some decent sound.
    Thanks again

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks for reply, I'll try and get in somewhere later to see one in action. Hard to judge in a shop though as a lot of the time the content shown is specially chosen to show off the tv. I live down in the midlands so a bit far to come up to yourselves. From the reviews I've been reading motion blur with OLED shouldn't be a problem as they are around 120hz (correct me if I'm wrong) and the OLED tech turns on and off etc quicker than LCD can. Though some reviews do mention judder or soap opera effect, this seems to be dependant on the person viewing though. One review I read recommended turning on a feature (I forget which) to smooth out the picture and elimate any percieved judder. But then another review on a different site recommended turning off this same feature as it gives a soap opera effect as he called it.
    You yourself look at and spend a lot of time with different tv's and so would probably notice these things, what is your opinion of the OLED and motion? I have looked at the Samsung QLED sets, but their range has become very confusing. The 9000 sets were always the top tv, but now the have the Q7, Q8, and Q9 as well as the 6000,7000,8000,9000 etc etc. From what Inhave read though as good as they are they cannot match the OLED.
    The motion is my main worry, the set I am watching at the moment is terrible imo. A huge step backwards from the plasma. SD sources wont worry me as pretty much all the tv I watch now is HD, and all Netflix and Amazon is either HD or 4K. Only let down is NowTv which is 720p I think, but still not so bad.
    I love the Sony A1 btw, but a good bit more expensive than the others, 800 more than the E7 after cashback. After cashback E7 is only 200 more than B7 for the benefit of the soundbar for some decent sound.
    Thanks again
    Hi Murphythesmuft.

In my opinion OLED and superior to the QLED screens.
    I have no noticed any issue on the OLED with motion and as I mentioned above own the older B6 version myself.

On the Samsungs the 9000 is there top LED and then the QLED's step in Q7, Q8 etc....

The Sony OLED is something else, we have one running in our store and it is breath taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Thanks, could you recommend a iphone dock or similar too. The other half wants something to connect her iphone to so she can listen to music through it. Don't often see ipod dock style things anymore. Not too expensive around the £100 mark, maybe a bit higher. Maybe pm me a price for this along with the LG 55E7 delivered to Westmeath, and what are chances of getting it before Xmas?
    Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks, could you recommend a iphone dock or similar too. The other half wants something to connect her iphone to so she can listen to music through it. Don't often see ipod dock style things anymore. Not too expensive around the £100 mark, maybe a bit higher. Maybe pm me a price for this along with the LG 55E7 delivered to Westmeath, and what are chances of getting it before Xmas?
    Thanks
    Murph,

we are running out of delivery days for out of Dublin / Belfast deliveries but drop us a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with the complete wish-list and we will do our best for you and check out ETA.

In terms of iPod dock - the actual docks have literally disappeared now - everything is now wireless streaming but generally they will not charge or physically connect to your phone or pad any more - the best deal / Audio quality around the £100 mark is probably the Cambridge G5 - really well built unit and great quality at just £99 / €119.99
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-203032-gold-400597.aspx

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.