Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace buzzing fluorescent fixture

Options
  • 12-12-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any good ideas for replacing a buzzy fluorescent light fixture? I'm thinking some kind of LED approach. Would I be better off going homebrew and building it myself, or just biting the bullet and start converting the house to use Philips Hue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What area is the light in? Hue is expensive there are several cheaper alternatives IKEA and Yeelight would be just two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ted1 wrote: »
    What area is the light in? Hue is expensive there are several cheaper alternatives IKEA and Yeelight would be just two

It's in the off-kitchen dining room so it's used constantly. There's also no window in the room so natural light is limited.

Do the YeeLight and IKEA version use an open standard? If not then they'll probably be useless in a few years when the companies stop supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ikea use a standard and are compatible with the hue bridge, Alexa etc

Yeelight use WiFi so it’s the most open standard no need for additional hardware. They also work with Alexa.

So no worry about lack of support , Also I don’t think IKEA are going anywhere. Bear in mind the Philips pulled out if the TV market and could also do the same to the lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

If you would prefer to keep the light fixture you can replace the fluorescent tube with led tubes, easy fitted.

ted1 wrote: »
    Ikea use a standard and are compatible with the hue bridge, Alexa etc

Yeelight use WiFi so it’s the most open standard no need for additional hardware. They also work with Alexa.

So no worry about lack of support , Also I don’t think IKEA are going anywhere. Bear in mind the Philips pulled out if the TV market and could also do the same to the lighting

Are the Ikea bulbs fully compatible with the Hue Dimmer Switches (on/off and dimming)? I'm tempted to start moving the house towards Hue's and the Ikea ones would be good for places that don't need the same quality of light.

How are the Yeelights in terms of responsiveness? WiFi doesn't sound like a good fit for this kind of thing. They're all a gamble in terms of ditching support, but I could see Ikea dropping it quicker than Philips so I'd rather use Philips as the core tech and Ikea as the supplementary.
    Mr Gumby wrote: »
    If you would prefer to keep the light fixture you can replace the fluorescent tube with led tubes, easy fitted.

Hadn't actually thought of that but to be honest they're in the living room so it would be nice to move away from the "clinical" light they put out to something warmer :D.

A buddy recommended using the Hues in lamps (with switch at the door) for the time being and then replacing the fluorescent fixture some other time. I also swapped the ballast in the fitting with a spare and the buzzing seems to have gone for now so the panic is gone. I'm leaning towards trying that approach to see how well it would work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

xckjoo wrote: »
    Are the Ikea bulbs fully compatible with the Hue Dimmer Switches (on/off and dimming)?

I think so, see link.
    WiFi doesn't sound like a good fit for this kind of thing.

+ 1
    They're all a gamble in terms of ditching support, but I could see Ikea dropping it quicker than Philips so I'd rather use Philips as the core tech and Ikea as the supplementary.

It's an open protocol, so why would it matter if one of them were to drop it once someone supports it?

2011 wrote: »
    It's an open protocol, so why would it matter if one of them were to drop it once someone supports it?

Basically don't want the hassle of having to manage it myself. It would probably be cheaper to roll your own setup but that's a time sink I'd rather throw some money at to avoid :D

It's a gamble with any kind of system like this but I'd see better support for the Philips Hues even if Philips pull out and it's all 3rd party/hackers.

P.S The price of the Hue bridges went back up before I took the plunge so going to wait for now. Not urgent since I got rid of the buzz in the fluorescents. I'll keep my eyes open for bargains.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

xckjoo wrote: »
    P.S The price of the Hue bridges went back up before I took the plunge so going to wait for now.

I would think that you will be able to get a cheap bridge from one of the posters here.

2011 wrote: »
    I would think that you will be able to get a cheap bridge from one of the posters here.

Cheers. Good idea. Although my bank balance was welcoming the delay :D

Advertisement