Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the ads during a film on RTÉ in 1984.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

TV Sponger makes an appearance here. He used to creep me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wheety wrote: »
    O Fortuna was used in Only Fools whenever Rodney looked at Damien, who was named after the kid in The Omen. I reckon this has led to a lot of confusion about it being in the movie.

If i'm not mistaking the music is by Carl Orff, Carmina Burana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

_Dara_ wrote: »

My favourite ad of the era. A perfect pairing of lyrics and imagery. I like the melancholic feel of it too, I think a lot of people feel that way at Christmas. Dusty's voice is just sex too. Ain't no John Lewis ad got anything on this.

There should have been a sequel version to this ad with Alan Hughes being driven back to the Train Station by the father after the Christmas in crappy January weather with a song like Radiohead's 'Exit Music For a Film' playing on the radio. Would sum up the 'back to reality' mood post-Christmas.

It could be intercut with the station master switching on lights, working traffic signals all thanks to the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

valoren wrote: »
    It could be intercut with the station master switching on lights, working traffic signals all thanks to the ESB.

"Feeling suicidal? Use your mains powered hairdryer and let a nice warm immersion heated bath sort it all out for you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Also, is that Sylvester Stallone in the film still? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Also, is that Sylvester Stallone in the film still? :eek:

Yes, he was in that movie Escape To Victory alongside Pele and a bunch of real life footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Aww I don't remember any of these ads, I was born in 88 though so maybe that's why. I notice a distinct lack of toy ads compared to now, especially as it was coming up to Christmas at the time. It mainly seems to be food and booze, no tech either but the reason there is pretty obvious. The no smoking in bed and the no more than two drinks ads are quite amusing :p

Actually this reminds me that I hardly ever even see ads anymore, I usually watch Netflix or download so I don't watch TV that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

back in the day when all we had was two channels (well those of us in culchie-land)....maybe we're were more content with that??? what'd ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Alan Hughes’ Ma’s bill must have been through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

frosty123 wrote: »
    back in the day when all we had was two channels (well those of us in culchie-land)....maybe we're were more content with that??? what'd ya think?

Bonzo scared me a little, but the Moving Crib will haunt my dreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

My favourite ad of the era. A perfect pairing of lyrics and imagery. I like the melancholic feel of it too, I think a lot of people feel that way at Christmas. Dusty's voice is just sex too. Ain't no John Lewis ad got anything on this.

Ha ha - from back in the good old days when they WANTED you to use as much leccy as you could. The young pup is due back home so switch the whole shaggin lot on and bake a cake whilst you are at it Mrs.

What confused me then and still puzzles me now is who, in the name of all that is mucksavagish, drives home from the railway station over open heathland and mountain. It must have been a parallel universe Ireland. Nowhere is that remote in actual Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

topper75 wrote: »

What confused me then and still puzzles me now is who, in the name of all that is mucksavagish, drives home from the railway station over open heathland and mountain. It must have been a parallel universe Ireland. Nowhere is that remote in actual Ireland.

One minute he was getting off a train, then he was driving over a mountain and then he passed through what looks like Rathdrum in Co Wicklow. Unless they took a very scenic route home, it doesn't make geographical sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

topper75 wrote: »
    Ha ha - from back in the good old days when they WANTED you to use as much leccy as you could. The young pup is due back home so switch the whole shaggin lot on and bake a cake whilst you are at it Mrs.

Its not CGI, now is it. Its an actual house in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Its not CGI, now is it. Its an actual house in Ireland.

I've no beef with the house. It's the rather meandering, to say the least, route they took there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement