Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone have more than one private health insurance plans?

Options
  • 12-12-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Question - Is it legal to have more than one private health insurance plans (with different provider... eg. one with VHI & other with Irish Life)?

If yes, how does it work in case a claim needs to be made? one assumption would be - a claim can made under only one of insurance plans (and not to both at the same time as part of being fair), besides that are there any other restrictions?

Looks like we are going to have 2 policies overlapping for 7 months, one thru my employer(policy runs Jan 1 -Dec 31, so starting soon) & other thru spouse employer(policy runs Aug 1- July 31, existing).

any inputs would be highly appreciated, thanks a mill!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's not illegal as overlaps can happen.

I'd guess that some sort of shared liability would happen in the event of a claim.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is not illegal, but you are required to disclose the fact and the cost of treatments will be shared by both companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gt12

Jim2007 wrote: »
    but you are required to disclose the fact and the cost of treatments will be shared by both companies.

Thanks for your comment Jim2007.
    Do you mean to disclosing that I have overlapping policies at the time of buying 2nd policy OR just disclosing when making sharing claims?

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

gt12 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment Jim2007.
    Do you mean to disclosing that I have overlapping policies at the time of buying 2nd policy OR just disclosing when making sharing claims?

thanks again!

I suspect that it would be at the time of making a claim as that is the actual point at which the issue assumes relevance.

The time of making a claim would be the one where you could accidentally claim double indemnity. Indemnity is the relevant concept. Insurers providing indemnity (or partial indemnity) can seek contribution as between themselves in such a way that the policyholder receives their proper entitlement to indemnity without making a profit.

There are technical rules that apply to the issue of contribution as between insurers. Just because there are two policies appearing to cover the same contingency does not mean automatically that contribution operates. Life is too short to go through the rules but it is definitely simpler to just have one health insurance policy if possible !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gt12

Thank you for clarifying it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Dont know how it works in the Irish system, but in the US, if there is double insurance like this, the company paying out is determined by the first birthday in the year of the insured parties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why not cancel the olderpolicy and you will get a part refund?

Advertisement