Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter running clothes

Options
  • 12-12-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

I find my legs end up red and splotchy, and the same with my belly, after a run in the cold weather. Ends up itchy after a shower then too.

More layers needed? Or more expensive winter-specific running pants / tops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I find my legs end up red and splotchy, and the same with my belly, after a run in the cold weather. Ends up itchy after a shower then too.

More layers needed? Or more expensive winter-specific running pants / tops?

Running tights are the only winter-specific item I had to buy; when the temperatures are close to freezing point I wouldn't go running in shorts, to prevent the exact stuff you're describing. If your belly feels like that you should probably wear a base layer underneath your top as well (I have no issues in that regard but that would be my solution).

If they're itchy that sounds like a reaction to the temperatures (like a heat rash, just at the other extreme).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Running tights are the only winter-specific item I had to buy; when the temperatures are close to freezing point I wouldn't go running in shorts, to prevent the exact stuff you're describing. If your belly feels like that you should probably wear a base layer underneath your top as well (I have no issues in that regard but that would be my solution).
    I definitely don't run in shorts in this weather :)
    Thanks for the response, will try get some base layer stuff... and better quality long tights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I definitely don't run in shorts in this weather :)
    Thanks for the response, will try get some base layer stuff... and better quality long tights

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality - i buy all my stuff pretty cheap and it does the job and I suffer the cold quite bad - i have raynauds phenomenon whereby i lose the feeling in the tips of my fingers and toes quite easily.

This time of year I wear long tights, a layer on top with long sleeves such as this one from Aldi

https://www.aldi.co.uk/stripy-ski-%26-sports-base-layer-set/p/078332182418002

or this type

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-quarter-zip-running-top-ladies-456202?colcode=45620203

I put a short sleeve running t-shirt over/under the long sleeve and finally gloves and a buff over my head/ears. The gloves and the buff are key to keeping warm for me.

And yes i do know the Aldi top linked is boys but i bought a set like this once by accident (i mistook age 12 for size 12) and the top fits me quite nicely and it's lovely and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

any of the roubaix / fleece sort of tights are great for this weather. Avoid plain lycra cause it is feckin freezing.

At the moment I would wear a lycra base layer, a long sleeve thermal and maybe a t shirt over that. always wear my windproof gillet (mesh back) over the lot. I find i have to peel off the hat / gloves / buff too. Rarely need to remove any other layers. Got the itchy skin after a particularly cold run up djouce recently though and could have done with another layer on my arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FLPGears

Always try to wear gym wears during running or workout. Special running pants and tops available on all major brands and they provide separate product range for winter as well as summer.I agree with oinkely that you use fleece tights in winter. for summer use the Teri fleece tights which is easily available in stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I recently got these New Balance Impact Tights after years of putting up with the cold and increasing finding excuses not to go out in it any more! These were the third set of running tights I've bought and the only one that doesn't ride down my bum when running, i must have a funny shaped arse.
    Funny how just by having warm legs how overall I'm far more comfortable. Coupled with that is a light running cap and gloves and running jacket though I try to just wear a long sleeved top only mostly as the jacket always feels hot after a few miles in unless its really Baltic out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement