Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS for large video files

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have your heard the word of our lord, Plex?

Until we know your transcode requirements making a suggestion would be premature. Those are the right drives though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

ED E wrote: »
    Have your heard the word of our lord, Plex?

Until we know your transcode requirements making a suggestion would be premature. Those are the right drives though.

Thanks

Heard a bit about Plex. I'll look into it.

I've a 2017 LG Smart TV which seems to be able to play most of my video files if I plug the USB drive directly into the TV.

So does that mean that I don't need anything to transcode the files?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Will Plex sit on any NAS?
    And is it's transcoding ability limited by the RAM on the NAS?
    Would 2GB be enough to transcode files or should I be looking at more RAM?

I have a Nexus 7 tablet which would be nice to play content on. Other than that it's a 2017 LG 4K TV and a Western Digital Live media player (which would be limited to 1080p)

Thanks
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres two things to consider with Plex:
    1. Library mangement
    2. Transcoding + Remote play etc

If you go with just a NAS sharing files itself then its DLNA. Functional, but clunky as hell.
    downloadFile.do?portalId=P1&fileId=BD_N-1338350562243
    Big long list of folders that usually take 30-40 seconds to load.

Plex on the other hand is like a personal netfix. Where you left off, related shows, select by actor/director/genre/age/format.

2015-01-16-at-7.59-PM.png

Most NASs can run this basic level of Plex, its just a nice interface on top of file serving.

Transcoding though requires CPU grunt (RAM shouldnt really matter too much) but allows you to play 4K Blurays over wifi, the old laptop in the corner watch HEVC files etc. And with the paid version you can watch remotely (stream from your NAS while sitting on the bus).

Advertisement