Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM 70.3 TRAINING

Options
  • 12-12-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have signed up to do my first 70.3 and looking for advice on training books or programs , well any advice would be greatly appreciated .
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

my advice is re read your post and think how people are supposed to give you advise based on the info you give...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

What's wrong with it ? Just looking for a recommendation of a good training book as there are so many out there.
    Are you saying I need to give more info about me or race .
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Goals, background, history in Triathlon, levels, swim background, strong runner? Expectations, times
    How long until the race and how much time a wwwk do you have to train. Is it 0 to 70.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redial

dickidy wrote: »
    Just looking for a recommendation of a good training book

If you're a beginner, looking for information in a book to get your head around what's ahead and a plan just to finish then Don Finks 70.3 book might not be the worst place to start.

Did my first Olympic this summer after doing 2 sprints in previous years.
    Times for Olympic were swim 30 min, bike 1h 18 and runs was 48 min but wasn't happy with the run

• Advertisement

Perfect , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You're far from a beginner with those Olympic splits so probably in a good place to get into slightly longer distances now. Second vote here for Don Fink's book "IronFit Secrets" which takes you through a 16 week 70.3 plan for 3 levels of athlete - a 'just finish it', a 'mid-packer' and a 'competitive athlete'. I found it useful, if a little repetitive here and there and the odd corny age-group bio thrown in :)

You could definitely do a lot worse.

Are you in a club btw? That's probably your best route to be honest.

no not part of a club. gave up football when i had kids as i couldnt commit to training and matches so i started running to stay fit and i could run whenever i got a chance. thats how i stumbled on triathlons , looking for a 10 k road race.
    was thinking about joining a club got this far on my own i kinda want to see if i can do the half. will defo join one if i survive the half and try the full . thanks again folks.
    the don finks book will be ordered today

https://www.velopress.com/books/fast-track-triathlete/

i dont know the book but matt would be one of the better 70.3 coaches in the world ( markting and coaching combined one of the very best )

don fink is more for just finishing ( i had a look at his plan and it does not impress me

also are tri bars a good investment. i have a Kuota Kredo road bike. more for different positions then the actual aero benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

dickidy wrote: »
    also are tri bars a good investment.

Yes, absolutely. They don't even need to be expensive ones and they'll still be one of the most worthwhile investments you could make.

On joining a club when you decide to start training for an Ironman; that's honestly probably the distance for when being a member of a club is of least use. Unless you want to join to take part in club swims, in which case you should join one now. But when it comes to training for an Ironman, you're going to find yourself having to do a lot of the cycles and runs on your own. You might meet one or two people in a club training for the same Ironman as you, but apart from that, you'll find club training sessions aren't geared towards full distance racing.

Perfect. Was looking online and there is so many different types but will defo get a set . On joining the club it was more just about getting tips and hints. I prefer training on my own ( some me time without the kids and noise ) quiet time . Thanks again for the advice

Perfect. Was looking online and there is so many different types but will defo get a set . On joining the club it was more just about getting tips and hints. I prefer training on my own ( some me time without the kids and noise ) quiet time . Thanks again for the advice

profile t2 tri bars are good as very adjustable ( the pads can be a bit annoying as they can slip but use a bit of 2 component clue and you should be ok )
    if you do a search you should be able to find 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

The free matt Fitzgerald 70.3 plan was pretty good for me,I had no tri experience and signed up for the first Dublin race and enjoyed it. You have some experience so you’ll be fine, for me the Leinster open sea races really helped my swimming, especially with sighting, I did them all in my trisuit and found the group very welcoming if you asked questions. East coast open water swimming do some distance swims which are good too, and an Olympic 4-6 weeks before might help. Great advice in this forum too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

peter kern wrote: »
    https://www.velopress.com/books/fast-track-triathlete/

i dont know the book but matt would be one of the better 70.3 coaches in the world ( markting and coaching combined one of the very best )

don fink is more for just finishing ( i had a look at his plan and it does not impress me

I'd recommend this book. It's really well laid out and gives good insights on structuring your year.

Sorry but I'm back. So I started my base training and looking at the finks program and triathlon 220 middle distance. One is in heart rate zones and one is done in PE. Finks program is in zone 2 a lot and 220 program is in PE 6-8 .
    Is the PE 6-8 equivalent to zones high 3 low 4 . And if so how is there such a difference in intensity from program to program
    Sorry for all these questions and thanks

Advertisement