Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This is from Iain Kidd from Bloody Elbow. He covers PEDS, Fighter safety and Regulation. Not saying he is right or wrong just showing his tweet

https://twitter.com/iainkidd/status/952233963535388672

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It's difficult to figure out a way that'll work best.

If you tell fighters they're going to be weighed when they arrive the week of the fight and they can't weigh x over their contracted weight they'll just cut the day before. So they end up cutting twice in a week, the second one being a larger cut.

Random weigh ins throughout the year - could work but is extremely costly, could they add it to part of USADA's job, not sure.

Can they monitor their hydration levels? If this could work that is possibly the best I can think of. You're not fighting if your hydration levels are below x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dulux99 wrote: »
    I think it's clear that only one person here is missing the point pal.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Munson-Death-a-case-against-same-day-weigh-ins:2385433 have a read off this

Joe rogan also suggests holding MMA fights on American football fields and fighting without gloves. I suppose they're great ideas too.

Fighting without gloves would be safer, gloves protect the striker not the person being struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No I don't understand at all. You obviously don't either if you can't tell me why a fighter would dehydrate if there was no advantage to be gained from it

Just because a fighter wouldn't have an actual weight advantage doesn't mean they wouldn't cut weight and be the naturally bigger fighter and have more power etc.

Your not getting the problem here, fighters will lose water to make the weight and now its super dangerous to be absorbing strikes to the head.

Michael Chiesa said this
    They should make early weigh ins optional but make it definitive at the beginning of fight week if you intend to weigh in early at the hotel or at the ceremonial weigh in. That way fighters can’t cheat the system if they miss weight at the early weigh in. You get what I’m saying?
    It's very hard to know what the best way to do it

At least Hall seems to be getting better

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkieJohn/status/952260633025830912

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dulux99 wrote: »
    I think it's clear that only one person here is missing the point pal.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Munson-Death-a-case-against-same-day-weigh-ins:2385433 have a read off this

Joe rogan also suggests holding MMA fights on American football fields and fighting without gloves. I suppose they're great ideas too.

Don't see the problem with either of those ideas actually. Only reason I mentioned Rogan is because I'm not "literally the only person ever to suggest this"

I'm well aware taking strikes to the head while severely dehydrated is extremely dangerous, the idea is that the wouldn't be dehydrated.

Weigh them 7 days out from fight and the must be within 5 or 10 lbs of the limit so. It can't be this hard to solve

The early weigh ins have been an absolute disaster with almost treble the amount of fighters missing weight since it was brought in.

The early weigh ins have been an absolute disaster with almost treble the amount of fighters missing weight since it was brought in.

Then maybe they are just not morning people? pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw a report that Uriah had a seizure after he fainted, jaysus glad he's doing better. Feel bad for Vitor as well.

The whole weigh in thing is very hard to figure out the best option. I think the old way was better and it. Made the weigh ins actually mean something, tense as ****. Now I barely bother watching the ceremonial weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Here is my radical solution to weight cutting.

As long as there is weight classes, there will be weight cutting. A fighter (in any combat sport) will look for any advantage possible. The only way to eliminate weight cutting would be to eliminate weight limits.

Each promotion would have 5/6 divisions. When a fighter signs for a promotion, they are analysed by a physician as to decide which division they will compete in based on their size. They compete in that division until they are judged to have changed enough in size to warrant a change in division. No more weigh ins, no more weight limits, no more weight cuts. Every fighter at peak physical condition for their bouts.

There are already size discrepancies within weight classes. Darren Till is much bigger than RDA, but if they fight they will both be made to step on a scales the day before the fight and hit a number which is below what both of them will weigh in the octagon. This is pointless. Even more pointless when two fighters weigh roughly the same.

There would be some borderline cases when it comes to judging which division a fighter should compete. But we already use judging to decide the winner of a fight, so we would have to just put up with that. The person/people doing the judging should be independent from the promotion, similar to USADA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Would they be in peak physical condition. They will still bulk up as much as possible and still cut to make the limit.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Would they be in peak physical condition. They will still bulk up as much as possible and still cut to make the limit.

There would be no limit. They can bulk up as much as they like, when they are examined on signing to a promotion they will be judged on their body composition, height, etc. People of similar size would fight in the same division.

Then maybe they are just not morning people? pacman.gif

I think one of the issues with morning weigh ins is that people cut weight through the night. That can't help an already tough process.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

These guys are hardly back to 100% peak condition for the fight after cutting so much weight a day or 2 before are they?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

These guys are hardly back to 100% peak condition for the fight after cutting so much weight a day or 2 before are they?!

Someone on here posted an article written by a guy who a big weight cut and then rehydrated, both done as a fighter would.

He did 3 physical tests, I can't remember what they were now, and he was pretty much the exact same after rehydrating as he was before the cut began.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Django99 wrote: »
    Here is my radical solution to weight cutting.

As long as there is weight classes, there will be weight cutting. A fighter (in any combat sport) will look for any advantage possible. The only way to eliminate weight cutting would be to eliminate weight limits.

Each promotion would have 5/6 divisions. When a fighter signs for a promotion, they are analysed by a physician as to decide which division they will compete in based on their size. They compete in that division until they are judged to have changed enough in size to warrant a change in division. No more weigh ins, no more weight limits, no more weight cuts. Every fighter at peak physical condition for their bouts.

There are already size discrepancies within weight classes. Darren Till is much bigger than RDA, but if they fight they will both be made to step on a scales the day before the fight and hit a number which is below what both of them will weigh in the octagon. This is pointless. Even more pointless when two fighters weigh roughly the same.

There would be some borderline cases when it comes to judging which division a fighter should compete. But we already use judging to decide the winner of a fight, so we would have to just put up with that. The person/people doing the judging should be independent from the promotion, similar to USADA.

Why only 5/6 divisions? You're going to end up with massive size disparity in those divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

CatFromHue wrote:
    Someone on here posted an article written by a guy who a big weight cut and then rehydrated, both done as a fighter would.

CatFromHue wrote:
    He did 3 physical tests, I can't remember what they were now, and he was pretty much the exact same after rehydrating as he was before the cut began.

Really I wouldn't have thought that. Thanks il go have a look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Your increasing the risk of concussion and permanent brain damage because the fluid in the brain takes 3 days to fully rehydrate. That’s the biggest worry.

Why only 5/6 divisions? You're going to end up with massive size disparity in those divisions.

If for example you had

200lbs+ guys - I don't really see why LHW is 205 at the moment. The best HWs are generally around 240-250 as is, and guys at LHW are cutting from 220-230. I don't see much of a reason to seperate the bigger LHWs like Jones and Cormier from HWs.

Smaller LHWs (which there aren't many of when I think of it) could group with current MWs like Rockhold and Weidman. Almost no difference in size there I think.

Next group would include people like Gastelum, Whittaker, and the big WWs like Till, Maia etc.

Down from that the likes of Khabib, Ferguson, McGregor, RDA.

After that I'd be split between having one or two more groups. The likes of Mighty Mouse might not be able to compete if there was only one division, so I'd lean towards having two. First one would be guys like Frankie, Mendes, and biggger BWs.

After that you'd have the small guys.

It would be a drastic change from what we have obviously, but I think that's what's required to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No I don't understand at all. You obviously don't either if you can't tell me why a fighter would dehydrate if there was no advantage to be gained from it
    Fighter is booked st 155 and excepts to serve at that over the course of camp.
    Camp wasn't ideal and he comes out of camp (1 week out) at 158-160.
    So either he misses weight and risks a DQ, or he dehydrate to fights.
    Beersmith wrote: »
    Just because a fighter wouldn't have an actual weight advantage doesn't mean they wouldn't cut weight and be the naturally bigger fighter and have more power etc.
    That wouldn't be the case though. If somebody has to cut, they lose any size advantage they had prior. And power drops when you are dehydrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CatFromHue wrote: »

That was probably me.
    Tests were power, strength endurance and high intensity cardio endurance.
    This is the article.
    https://tim.blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/amp/

Results:
    (Notice the huge drop across the board when dehydratd regarding my post above)
    POWER TEST: VERTICAL JUMP

Baseline: 31.7 inches
    After Dehydration: 27.6 inches
    Re-hydrated: 29 inches

STRENGTH ENDURANCE TEST: 225-POUND BENCH PRESS

Baseline: 15 reps
    After Dehydration: 5 reps
    Rehydrated: 12 reps

ENDURANCE TEXT: MAX TIME ON TREADMILL

Baseline: 3 minutes and 14 seconds of sprinting at 8mph with 6% incline
    After Dehydration: 1 minute and 28 seconds of sprinting at 8mph with 3% incline
    Rehydrated: 3 minutes and 25 seconds of sprinting at 8mph with 6% incline

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gotta say that’s a cracking retirement fight for both guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hope bisping gets revange for what vitor did to his eye

ricero wrote: »
    Hope bisping gets revange for what vitor did to his eye

I'd have absolutley no problem if Mike pumped himself full of juice for this one, the amount of cheats he had to face in his career and the life lasting damage he has sustained.

Really though, hope he can pull off a win in front of the home crowd and end his career in a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd have absolutley no problem if Mike pumped himself full of juice for this one, the amount of cheats he had to face in his career and the life lasting damage he has sustained.

Really though, hope he can pull off a win in front of the hike crowd and end his career in a high.

He'll have little problem beating vitor if he gets past round one, will be one way traffic after.
    I hope bisping pops away at vitor for five rounds as it'll be embarrassing for vitor if he has to go five.

Not happening apparently, Bisping told Helwani he wants nothing to do with Vitor.

• Advertisement

A Russian journalist has tweeted that Khabib Tony will happen April 7th in Brooklyn.

https://twitter.com/adamzubayraev/status/952607325134651392

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement