Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

10th from inactivity.

Rankings...

Didn't you see the two fights they had... - this is not a conjecture or an imagining of how they go. They've been very very close fights...

The second fight was close because McG gassed, look at the first round of both fights when both guys are fresh and it's a slaughter.

Same as the first fight McG was absolutely gassed by the time Nate got the upper hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

JJayoo wrote: »
    The second fight was close because McG gassed, look at the first round of both fights when both guys are fresh and it's a slaughter.

Same as the first fight McG was absolutely gassed by the time Nate got the upper hand.

Gas or no gas - It's one - one! McGregor has a stand-up advantage. But Nate has an iron chin. And amazing cardio!

Can't get closer than that. One a finish for diaz - one on points!!!

They're very closely matched.

RDA fight really woke Nate up - been a different fighter since.

Gas or no gas - It's one - one! McGregor has a stand-up advantage. But Nate has an iron chin. And amazing cardio!

Can't get closer than that. One a finish for diaz - one on points!!!

They're very closely matched.

RDA fight really woke Nate up - been a different fighter since.

So you said Nate was ranked 10th due to inactivity, where would you rank him? Who does he beat that's above him over 3 rounds?

I'd rank him 6 or 7 - i think he is dangerous opponent for anyone - he is no easy win for anyone. He has reach, durable, and he has a bag of tricks on the ground.

I think he finds a way to beat these guys:

6 Edson Barboza
    7 Justin Gaethje
    8 Anthony Pettis
    9 Al Iaquinta

I'd rank him 6 or 7 - i think he is dangerous opponent for anyone - he is no easy win for anyone. He has reach, durable, and he has a bag of tricks on the ground.

6 Edson Barboza
    7 Justin Gaethje
    8 Anthony Pettis
    9 Al Iaquinta

Did you watch how Gilbert Melendez faired against Barboza's leg kicks?? Even jeremy Stephens broke out the leg kicks when he fought Gilbert, and Diaz is way worse at not checking kicks.

Diaz plants that lead leg and does not check leg kicks, Barbozza and Gaethje would be the absolute worst match ups for him. Imagine that lead leg eatting 15-20 leg kicks from Gaethje in the first round.

I think 10th is about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

6 Edson Barboza
    7 Justin Gaethje
    8 Anthony Pettis
    9 Al Iaquinta

Barboza and Gaerhje would ****ing destroy him with leg kicks. Grand scaps the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good for Eddie, I'd say he got nicely paid for that.

https://twitter.com/YODCHATRI/status/1052038412172066817?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »

https://twitter.com/YODCHATRI/status/1052038412172066817?s=19

I wonder will he go straight into a fight with Askren? Because I assume he won't be able to make 155 with there weight cutting limitations. If he can id say he'd murder Nguyen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ASOT wrote: »
    I wonder will he go straight into a fight with Askren? Because I assume he won't be able to make 155 with there weight cutting limitations. If he can id say he'd murder Nguyen.

Askren is the MW champion in One FC. They call it WW but it's 185lbs (they moved everything up one weight class but kept the names of the original Division, so LW is 170, WW is 185, etc). And he's essentially retired.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Askren was a much smaller name joining and he made a few million + bonuses over his contract. He also got a lambo for one of his last fights, which I'm 99% certain he took the value of instead of the car, but still, nice little bonus.
    6 fight deal at a minimum of 500k a fight + bonuses. He will clear 4 million all in from it. Not bad for beating up old Pride vets.

• Advertisement

Barboza and Gaerhje would ****ing destroy him with leg kicks. Grand scaps the other two

I'm not so sure about that. Gaethje and Barboza often lack belief against bigger names and fail to get the job done.

Leaving that standing leg out there is part of the Diaz game plan - come in close and I'll get ye. I'm not saying it's an amazing plan but plenty of times those legs have been kicked and they've gotten through.

Gaethje ain't too fight savvy - a wrestler who never uses wrestling.

I just believe Diaz would get the job done against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Diaz just needs to walk Barboza down and crowd him, no kicks then. Same as what Khabib did to him, then unload with the volume punches and wear him down with pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Diaz just needs to walk Barboza down and crowd him, no kicks then. Same as what Khabib did to him, then unload with the volume punches and wear him down with pace.
    Barbza has never beaten a top tier fighter, Diaz beats him ,
    He also beats Gaethje   , who won't be around to long, his fighting style is shocking for his health and his coaches have no regard for him if they put together his game plans , The guy suppose to be a top wrestler but just gets his brains scrambled ever fight win or lose,

Diaz would finish Barboza. He'd just do what he always does and walk him down with his hands up and crowd him with vume punching. Ditto Justin. He'll take a slap to get off 3 or 4 and just break them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

He also beats Gaethje   , who won't be around to long, his fighting style is shocking for his health and his coaches have no regard for him if they put together his game plans , The guy suppose to be a top wrestler but just gets his brains scrambled ever fight win or lose,

The stand and bang thing is a definite choice for Justin, he spoke about it in an interview recently enough. He doesn't want to wrestle guys, he prefers to "put on a show" for the fans.

VW 1 wrote: »

The stand and bang thing is a definite choice for Justin, he spoke about it in an interview recently enough. He doesn't want to wrestle guys, he prefers to "put on a show" for the fans.
    he's obviously not the brightest chap so, his chin will be shot in no time ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jesus what a piece of trash that Joe Brolly wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Gaethje knows how long his fighting style is gonna make his career last though he has talked about implementing his wrestling more in order to be more effective. In fairness too he didn't really take any damage in his last fight he just smashed Vick in over a minute.

rob316 wrote: »
    The funny thing is every week a video goes around wats ap of a mass brawl at  a local GAA game, literally weekly , With fans and everyone involved

Diaz would finish Barboza. He'd just do what he always does and walk him down with his hands up and crowd him with vume punching. Ditto Justin. He'll take a slap to get off 3 or 4 and just break them.

What are you basing this on?

Diaz has fought 6 times in the last 5 years and he's lost 3 of those fights. In the last 5 years he has only beaten Michael Johnson by decision, Maynard And McG, and McG was turning his face into dog food until he gassed.

Diaz gets beaten easily by Barbozza and Gathie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

rob316 wrote: »

Taken from yesterdays Second Captains pod, Ken Early makes some funny comparisons between Gaa and MMA and the UFC aka Ulster Football Championship

Links to an old article here: https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-if-jose-mourinho-burst-into-a-gaa-dressing-room-giving-out-it-wouldnt-be-milk-hed-be-hit-with-36414212.html

Some fun bits seems Joe likes reminiscing:
    When I hurled for Dungiven, Lavey were our hated rivals. Liam Hinphey senior, our bloodthirsty manager, was wont to describe them as "the orange vermin".
    with Hinphey fond of leaving the Dungiven door open and berating the Lavey players as they arrived. "Look at that cowardly bastard," or "I never knew ****e could stand so high Downey"
    Lavey's Collie McGurk, all 5' 5" and nine stone of him, was playing centre half-forward on Brian McGilligan, all 6' 3" and 16 stone of him.
    Shortly after the throw-in, Collie, who has always played as though he were the biggest, baddest man on the pitch, swung hard across McGilligan's knees, causing the big man to roar like a bull and hobble around in a circle for a moment or two. When the next ball came in, McGilligan drove across his waist, breaking Collie's hand. Collie, who is too small to roar, yelped and went to the sideline, where his stricken hand was wrapped in tape. A minute or so later, he was back welting McGilligan.
    You should have stayed on your feet there son. That was embarrassing." At which point I got an almighty blow on the nose from the corner-back, knocking me backwards. The blood came scooting out of my nose. For the first and only time, I saw stars. As I tottered about in front of my attacker, Wee Pete came in and beat the face off him, fists going in a blur.
    I should have warned you about your man Joe. He has anger issues." Ulster jerseys were usually souvenirs but this one was ruined, drenched in blood. As I was coming in the tunnel a thought occurred to me. I walked into the Munster dressing room. My face was a mess, the nose badly broken, the shirt dripping. I opened the door and looked around. The place went silent. I walked over to your man, pulled the jersey off and handed it to him. "You can wash it." The Munster boys exploded. I got out in one piece.
    they battered the Rossa men from the throw-in, coming in late with knees and elbows up, hitting them off the ball and starting fist fights all over the field. Their supporters joined in, striking the Rossa men from behind.

A hypocrite and a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thanks for that. A ****ing troll is all he is, his Twitter replies are hilarious. Shame kavanagh engaged him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GSP soing anything he can to avoid T Wood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

GSP is a master honey-dicker.

Lukker- wrote: »
    More so I think he just wants to be the first 3 weight World champ

Lukker- wrote: »
    More so I think he just wants to be the first 3 weight World champ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Makes sense for Khabib to cement his legacy by defeating Tony and then one more big money fight against GSP. Conor is done and dusted.

Ride off into the sunset as the goat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/usada_ufc/status/1052243362865180673?s=21

2 year ban for Brad Scott for cocaine use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Daniel Cormier said on Luke Thomas' show that he has an injured hand going into the Derick Lewis fight.

DC pushing those wolf tickets on us :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement