Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wtf is a swing bout?
    Is that Dave Terrell the bjj guy from ufc years ago?

Swing bouts are fights that are recorded before the show starts airing and if the prelims or main card fights end early leaving lots of airtime then they will show some of them to fill out the broadcast.

Oh and no it's a different Dave terrel, he is a former training partner of Tito's http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Dave-Terrel-11038

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

cletus wrote: »
    Yep, it's definitely mentioned there, but it doesn't say whether in comp or out of comp.

In fact, if you read the article below, the usada statement specifically states that he failed an in competition test at UFC Liverpool, and the article itself them goes on to explain the difference between this and Jon Jones test

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/16/17986682/ufc-fighter-brad-scott-two-year-usada-ban-testing-positive-cocaine-mma-news

I wonder what protocol is then?

Does it become a police matter? Is it referred to police?

I'd imagine an organisation laws do not override state laws. Or does everyone just look the other way?

Paully D wrote: »
    If Dana denies it, we can take it as true.

Is that 15 million inclusive of PPV or the fight fee before PPV?

That's quite the jump in fee. I'd image it's inclusive of PPV and they're trying to get the fat-side of the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is that 15 million inclusive of PPV or the fight fee before PPV?

That's quite the jump in fee. I'd image it's inclusive of PPV and they're trying to get the fat-side of the rematch.

The first fight done 2.5m buys they can quite confidently offer big numbers for a rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Has there been official numbers released for PPV yet or is it just going on Dana's projections? Haven't seen anything concrete so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

SBG Naas opening at the end of the month. Peter Quelly, Sergei and Cian Conlon are the ones involved. 5,000sqm apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

VW 1 wrote: »
    Has there been official numbers released for PPV yet or is it just going on Dana's projections? Haven't seen anything concrete so far.

Dave Meltzer the go to PPV guy for MMA/WWE said he's been told it's around 2.4m, his info is seen as close to spot on as you can get.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/11/17962158/ufc-229-khabib-vs-mcgregor-destroys-previous-mma-record-for-pay-per-views

230 is a good card but in comparison to the last 2 MSG cards it's a bit disappointing to me. 3 title fights 2 years in a row was maybe spoiling us to expect similar all the time.

67642d9d58c37958c7e47c0f9b9f5d8b.png

rob316 wrote: »
    The first fight done 2.5m buys they can quite confidently offer big numbers for a rematch

So that's a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

cliggg wrote: »
    230 is a good card but in comparison to the last 2 MSG cards it's a bit disappointing to me. 3 title fights 2 years in a row was maybe spoiling us to expect similar all the time.

A little?! It's absolute dog**** in comparison!

• Advertisement

Cormier is my red hot favourite for this.

But...

25 pounds - 7 inches in reach - and dynamite in his punches - might be worth a flutter. Must be big odds on Lewis?

Haha! I said a bit not a little! I was trying not to be too harsh but you jumped on the grenade for me :D

But...

25 pounds - 7 inches in reach - and dynamite in his punches - might be worth a flutter. Must be big odds on Lewis?
    I'd say there are. The only thing that would stop me doing it is Cormier took Rumble's best shot and still beat him in their first fight. The man can take shots but I can't see him taking that many off Lewis. I think he's too smart as a fighter, he'll keep his distance then charge him.... he may also use some eye pokes :eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Haha! I said a bit not a little! I was trying not to be too harsh but you jumped on the grenade for me :D

Yeah I don't think there's any way around it. Think Dana will want it over and done and moved on from ASAP.

Still don't understand how they let it come to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

DC hand is nowhere near right either, he took this fight to save the card and hence it wasn't Stipe. Derrick even can't believe he got the shot. Hopefully Lewis back holds up and he can improve the cardio which he was working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

But...

4/1 so pretty big. Bigger than Fedor that would be a fun double if you like strikers!

Lewis has to hit that haymaker in the first 15 seconds, after that he's going for a ride and will be finished, either pounded out or submitted in the first.

Heavyweight fighting is trash at the minute, if DC does retire without fighting Jones again and Jones is still his usual self, he can dominate over both divisions for a long time.

I'd say there are. The only thing that would stop me doing it is Cormier took Rumble's best shot and still beat him in their first fight. The man can take shots but I can't see him taking that many off Lewis. I think he's too smart as a fighter, he'll keep his distance then charge him.... he may also use some eye pokes :eek: :p

Absolutely agree. Cormier don't take many chances and leaves few openings - and Lewis lack of stamina...

Makes JJ's (cheat) wins all the more impressive.

Even Lewis gives himself no chance.

But big odds might be worth a few quid just in case!

After all, Matt Sera once knocked out GSP.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Lewis has to hit that haymaker in the first 15 seconds, after that he's going for a ride and will be finished, either pounded out or submitted in the first.

Heavyweight fighting is trash at the minute, if DC does retire without fighting Jones again and Jones is still his usual self, he can dominate over both divisions for a long time.

I'd love to see a healthy Cain fight Jon Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'd love to see a healthy Cain fight Jon Jones.

That would be fun! Seems like just getting through camp is tough enough right now. Back issues are the worst.

• Advertisement

Would be great to see Cain back but I think it's over for him. Over two years since we seen him, was another year between fights before that and then another near two year gap back until he was regularly fighting.

Sad times if we don't get to see Cain in the cage again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

jimmii wrote: »
    4/1 so pretty big. Bigger than Fedor that would be a fun double if you like strikers!

I wouldn’t back Lewis here at 40/1.

I thought he’d be much bigger than 4’s though.

This is peak Ronda and Mighty Mouse levels of mis-match IMO and I thought the odds would reflect that, but there is a heavyweight allowance that factors in I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lewis has no chance. I rarely say that in MMA but I really believe it this time. I don't even think he thinks has a chance. He only said two weeks ago he had no interest in fighting for a title! He was offered a fat paycheck due to how viral he went after 229 and is making hay while the sun shines.

He went through a tough 3 round fight a week and a half ago, has no gas tank and is coming up against the biggest pressure fighter in the division.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Lewis has no chance. I rarely say that in MMA but I really believe it this time. I don't even think he thinks has a chance. He only said two weeks ago he had no interest in fighting for a title! He was offered a fat paycheck due to how viral he went after 229 and is making hay while the sun shines.

He went through a tough 3 round fight a week and a half ago, has no gas tank and is coming up against the biggest pressure fighter in the division.

Exactly - I think those odds will lengthen as we approach the fight. There's always that Buster Douglas moment at some point every year - worth an outside bet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    DC hand is nowhere near right either, he took this fight to save the card and hence it wasn't Stipe. Derrick even can't believe he got the shot. Hopefully Lewis back holds up and he can improve the cardio which he was working on.

Does anyone think DC will just go for the sub as opposed to trying to knock out Lewis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Exactly - I think those odds will lengthen as we approach the fight. There's always that Buster Douglas moment at some point every year - worth an outside bet.

What price are you waiting for him to hit before you back him?

dulux99 wrote: »
    What price are you waiting for him to hit before you back him?

One thing that impressed me about Lewis is that even when he is exhausted he has KO power.

I'd need at least double digits to tempt me to put a tenner on it. 10 to 1 and above.

It's rumoured that Cat Zingano will fight Megan Anderson at 145 on the 232 card. Supposedly it's happening in case Nunes or Cyborg pull out as they will have a choice of backup fighters then.
    This is official now. That means UFC 228 had Usman weighing in as an alternate while 229, 231 & 232 will have all had a fight on the card featuring high ranked fighters in the division of the title fights on the shows in case of a withdrawal. It appears they are finally learning.

https://twitter.com/UFC_AUSNZ/status/1052665603587227649

• Advertisement

This is official now. That means UFC 228 had Usman weighing in as an alternate while 229, 231 & 232 will have all had a fight on the card featuring high ranked fighters in the division of the title fights on the shows in case of a withdrawal. It appears they are finally learning.

https://twitter.com/UFC_AUSNZ/status/1052665603587227649

I like that fight. Big fight for each.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement