Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

xtal191 wrote: »
    Is Horiguchi with One?

Nope Rizin.

Trades & a draft please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

dulux99 wrote: »
    Not that long ago it did strive to atleast resemble a proper sports league. That's just gone out the window altogether now.

An unfortunate outcome of the 4bn wme put on the company.

Just found out that Matt Hume is the VP of operations at One FC.

DJ Gon get paaaaaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

VW 1 wrote: »
    An unfortunate outcome of the 4bn wme put on the company.

Yep. Sadly. They're hardly getting much of a fan friendly fighter in exchange either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DJ Gon get paaaaaid.

Reminds me a little of the Pimblett/Boylan situation, just not as shady and with a hell of a lot more talent involved. :D

Good for DJ though, and good for the sport that the talent is spreading out a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ASOT wrote: »
    I'd love to see a MMA draft, take fighters with under a certain number of fights drafted to the UFC, Bellator, PFL & One. It'd be interesting. Especially if "Trades" like this become more frequent.

That's not how sports drafts work.

In MMA, each fighter is an individual contractor and must be free to negotiate the best deal possible for themself. A "draft" system involving multiple promotions would most likely be illegal as it would be anti-competition.

In MMA, each fighter is an individual contractor and must be free to negotiate the best deal possible for themself. A "draft" system involving multiple promotions would most likely be illegal as it would be anti-competition.

I was talking absolute fantasy mate.

I was talking absolute fantasy mate.

I know you were. A fantasy I struggle to understand as it makes absolutely zero sense. Mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

No event in UFC history has ever had so many fighters on the same card fighting after a loss in their previous UFC fight than the Moncton card on Saturday. It doesn't really mean anything but I found it interesting nonetheless, here is a graphic about it (the plus and minus numbers are the length of their win/loss streak).

ufcfn138table.png?ssl=1

cliggg wrote: »
    No event in UFC history has ever had so many fighters on the same card fighting after a loss in their previous UFC fight than the Moncton card on Saturday. It doesn't really mean anything but I found it interesting nonetheless, here is a graphic about it (the plus and minus numbers are the length of their win/loss streak).

ufcfn138table.png?ssl=1

It's cut or be cut for a good couple, So should be exciting hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It's cut or be cut for a good couple, So should be exciting hopefully.
    Yeah hopefully so, it would be a shame to lose Court McGee purely for the fact that hearing/reading his name always makes me laugh like an immature teenage boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

DJ Gon get paaaaaid.
    Well overdue for that man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I really like DJ, and he's definitely in the conversation for one of the best to do it over the last few years. But the competition wasn't there. They are shuttering the division for a reason. He really did grow as a fighter during his reign though. I think it suits both well. Askren doesn't have long left, and he finally gets the chance to prove himself. DJ will get backed like he hasn't before at ONE FC, and hopefully they can do some cross-promotion with the likes of Rizin, would be nice to see him fight the Gooch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whatever way it works out I hope DJ gets paid fat stacks for it. Massively under rated by the UFC. Their P4P best fighter of the last decade in my books.
    To be fair, Silca, Shelby etc aren't idiots. They know exactly how good he is.
    But knowing doesn't mean they can do anything with it.

The real blame lies with the fans. Collectively, they're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Askren calling out Till now. That'd be an uber-mauling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah jaysus. I doubt Till wants any of Ben Aksren. Listening to Till on Helwani on Monday he said he's about 70% fighting at middleweight next, hopefully he does that. He needs to stop killing himself to get to ww.

• Advertisement

I’d prefer if he called out someone who wasn’t an ideal matchup, Till has virtually no chance of winning that fight. I’d love to see him fight Khabib at welterweight, they’re basically the same size even though Askren competes at 170, he just cuts less.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’d prefer if he called out someone who wasn’t an ideal matchup, Till has virtually no chance of winning that fight. I’d love to see him fight Khabib at welterweight, they’re basically the same size even though Askren competes at 170, he just cuts less.

Called out Colby and Masvidal too. He's just getting some hype going. Fair ball to him.

Askren competes at 185 (WW in ONE because of their weigh in rules) without cutting much. He's a good bit thicker than Khabib. Woodley obviously won't happen so GSP is the one to make.

Askren competes at 185 (WW in ONE because of their weigh in rules) without cutting much. He's a good bit thicker than Khabib. Woodley obviously won't happen so GSP is the one to make.

According to the man himself, he also walks around at about 185 so he cuts virtually nothing. Khabib used to walk around at 188 early in camp and cut from 182-183 from what I’ve read, definitely a bit less now though.

Unless Khabib has really slimmed down to keep making 155, the size difference between the two is negligible. And even if he has slimmed down, it’s not too hard to put those pounds back on over time. Askren probably wins it IMO, but it’s a fight worth making under the right circumstances.

I’d love to see it, two of the best grapplers in the history of the sport, not one to draw big PPV numbers but a great fight for the MMA purists. There’s always a fear they’d show too much respect to the other’s grappling and it’s turn into a bad kickboxing match, but I think Ben would be confident enough to play to his own strengths. I don’t want them to bring Askren just to have him shut down the best strikers in the division, give him high-level grapplers to contend with and he’ll really show his class.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Askren vs Usman please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I would even say Khabib walks around 10 or 15lbs heavier than Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Askren is pretty much calling out the whole 170 roster on twitter.

According to the man himself, he also walks around at about 185 so he cuts virtually nothing. Khabib used to walk around at 188 early in camp and cut from 182-183 from what I’ve read, definitely a bit less now though.

185 makes sense with the One FC rules. Which makes him a typical welterweight. Bigger than Khabib for sure.
    I would even say Khabib walks around 10 or 15lbs heavier than Ben
    Not a hope. I don't think 195 to 155 isn't possible. He used to be heavier, and his weight was always exaggerated (like most guys who cut a lot).

He was 167lbs coming into fight week. I'd place him at 170-175 max in the cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Be nice if they said hello to Artem first before firing 229 questions at him.

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/1055270218111561728

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement