Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »

Brilliant, brutally honest work from Askren there. I'm biased by the fact I can't stand Perry, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Interestingly, Askren talking about 165 division happening and him being in it. Would be a bad night for McGregor but if that fight for happen off the back of an Askren win over gsp or Khabib, the money woke be hard to say no to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Artem's a legend. What a sound gesture.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1055834442575552514

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Love Artem so much, a genuinely sound individual. I would go mental if he gets the W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Confirmed GOAT now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Artem was only on a 17/17k purse last time out, Johnson was on 47/47k. That would have been a serious chunk of cash for Artem that he’s giving up, really classy gesture especially given the difference in pay. That’s the kind of respect martial arts is built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ASOT wrote: »
    Love Artem so much, a genuinely sound individual. I would go mental if he gets the W.

Also worth noting in case people didn’t know that Artem paid for Richie Smullen to attend The Ultimate Fighter.

A class act.

Paully D wrote: »
    Also worth noting in case people didn’t know that Artem paid for Richie Smullen to attend The Ultimate Fighter.

A class act.

Yep, he's a hero. Every single time I've met him he has no bother chatting for however long I want to keep him there. Proper down to earth fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

Artem seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

Not a talented fighter though. Johnson is a total different level to him. I expect Johnson to batter him unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

who knows, Johnson can always find a way to lose. maybe he'll end up knocking himself out somehow

• Advertisement

In fairness both lads should be coming off a decision loss to Fill but somehow Johnson managed to use telekinesis to get the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Artem seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

Not a talented fighter though. Johnson is a total different level to him. I expect Johnson to batter him unfortunately

Nearly 30 professional fights, never been finished. He's never going to be a world beater but to say he's straight up not talented is harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Yoel Romero is fighting on the debut ESPN card in January though not sure against who. That's the show that they're trying to get Robbie Lawler v Stephen Thompson so it looks like they're starting off with a bang for the new station.

https://twitter.com/Farah_Hannoun/status/1055748137615273990

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I thought Cub Swanson would blow Artem away, Artem lost but it wasn't the complete mismatch I had expected. Johnson is very hot and cold and took this on short notice. I said it in the gambling thread but I think Artem has a decent shot at this and 9/2 is big. Hope he gets the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

Nearly 30 professional fights, never been finished. He's never going to be a world beater but to say he's straight up not talented is harsh.

Is having an iron jaw a skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm probably just a massive stan, but does no one else think Tony could end up a top 10-15 UFC fighter ever with his run at 155? That and his style makes a compelling case

Edgar injured, Yair in against the has been KZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

ASOT wrote: »
    Edgar injured, Yair in against the has been KZ
    According to his manager Frankie wants to be on the Brooklyn card in January as his injury isn't serious enough for a long layoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

tommyboy26 wrote: »

Wouldn't break 200k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lukker- wrote: »
    Wouldn't break 200k

lol still butthurt over Mcgregor.

Khabib is a star now, he will draw well and surprise the haters. Hope its not Askren. If it was a superfight it has to be GSP vs Khabib.

Anyway Ferguson must be mauled next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I thought Khabib was still huffing over his teammate getting cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ricero wrote: »

Khabib is a star now, he will draw well and surprise the haters. Hope its not Askren. If it was a superfight it has to be GSP vs Khabib.

I very much doubt he'll draw well, to casuals he has a boring style of fighting, and they're what make up most of the ppv buys I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Can you actually make an argument without sounding like an 11 year old?

He may well be a draw, but not in the US. Russian/Dagestani/Middle-Eastern fans aren't going to pay $60 for a PPV.

UFC 223 did under 300k. That's the barometer because that's the only PPV he's headlined. That also had Rose vs JJ, who has been a decent draw.

As for Askren, he's completely unknown outside of the hardcores, or folkstyle wrestling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Wouldn't break 200k

probably not but could possibly give Khabib his first loss. it would have to be a co main event cause askren is not known by casual fans.

Ferguson wont get mauled by Khabib. im not saying he will win but no hope he gets mauled

He may well be a draw, but not in the US. Russian/Dagestani/Middle-Eastern fans aren't going to pay $60 for a PPV.

UFC 223 did under 300k. That's the barometer because that's the only PPV he's headlined. That also had Rose vs JJ, who has been a decent draw.

As for Askren, he's completely unknown outside of the hardcores, or folkstyle wrestling fans

his style could be classed as boring but i cant see him been unknown for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

As for Askren, he's completely unknown outside of the hardcores, or folkstyle wrestling fans.

Cant use UFC 223 as the barometer after Ferguson injured then Holloway and he finally fights Ragin Al. It was a complete ****show and killed the event as a ppv.

Reckon Khabib vs Ferguson does well over 500 k ppv buys if it happens. Khabib just mauled and embaressed the golden goose. Watch his stock sky rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I thought Khabib was still huffing over his teammate getting cut?

Is that confirmed?

ah I think the whole Conor fight buildup and dominant performance has skyrocketed Khabib's popularity for his casual PPV buying crowd. He could be the second biggest pull in the UFC at the moment. Sure he won't do anywhere near McGregor numbers but I definitely think 200k is underselling it.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement